It's hot again. Very hot.

Archguy

Official Roiurama Factory Rep
Today I received a shipment which was left out in direct sunlight by the USPS delivery woman, immediately adjacent to the covered parcel locker I have provided for this purpose. She's asked me in the past if she should use the locker (which is clearly marked with USPS, UPS, and FedEx logos) and I told her yes. Of course, it may have been a substitute carrier today.

Fortunately, I was home and even more fortunately, today's shipment is an audio component rather than some LP records. But now I'm wondering, as the heat index here was over 96 degrees today, what would happen to phonograph records left out in heat (and direct sun) like that? Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Rent a PO Box for your shipments that are prone to damage from heat rain snow extreme cold and theft would be my choice. I first got one 40-50 years ago because I traveled a lot for work and could be gone for months at a time so it was the perfect solution for me.

Counting on the mail carriers to do as you wish 100% of the time is obviously not going to work so unless you know you will be home at the time they will show up there is always the element of risk.

Regards Snow

Thanks, that's a very good idea. However it won't help with my shipments to buyers.
I guess I just won't ship records in summertime which--in Virginia--is already here.
Probably still safe to ship to northerly climes--I'll keep an eye on the weather.

I once left an LP in a car on a cloudy day and went into the store. When I came out the sun had also come out and the car was HOT. The record wasn't in even in the sun but it had softened and ripples appeared all over it from tension in the vinyl. So bad stuff can happen. Probably not at 96 degrees but if the sun is directly on an object, it can get hotter than the surrounding air.

BTW, it was The Blues Brothers soundtrack, back in the early 80s, and I didn't leave records in the car again.

If it is possible perhaps put up a sun screen of sorts in the mail sending receiving area.

Regards Snow

Back
Top Bottom