It's just an aberation...honest

reyneman

Requiescat in pace
I can see it coming now- Grumpy will remove me from moddin the vinyl forum!

I ripped some music into...MP3 format:eek:

Soon I'll be hobnobbin with the Mighty Thor, discussing the latest compression techniques, wondering just how many tracks I can fit on a memory stick. Oh, the pain:yikes:

Wait... is that the big guy?:grumpy: Honest, it was just for my son's multimedia presentation, they had no other source available.

The check's in the mail, I'll pay you Tuesday, I'll erase it when he's done;)

Seems to be some pretty decent freeware available, I downloaded Audiograbber, did what I needed to do.

What's your opinion of good (and FREE) software for converting CD and WAV files to MP3 format?

No, I'm not converting from vinyl....yet:cool:

The easiest and best interface I've found is musicmatch. The mp3 encoder does a fine job. And its free. You can pay for enhanced functionality if you want to. Go to Music Match.

I agree...Musicmatch........very simple...

Just put the disc in your drive.....and bring up the recorder...and hit the record button...and it will record into MP3...WMA...or copy as a WAV....it will even do MP3 Pro.......it has a Vinyl ripper too...but it's touchy.....

Last edited:
If "quality" of .mp3 matters to you..

..then I vote for Exact Audio Copy with the LAME encoder, especially for ripping from CD. You can convert .wav files easily, as well, and there's even a wave editor if you have any use for that. It's not necessarily the easiest to get started with, but I've had the best luck with it, overall. I make lots of .mp3's for the garage and such, and these sound the best to me.

There's a good tutorial here, for getting started:

http://www.3dai.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=user_other;action=display;num=1044291266

:beerchug:
Jason

Originally posted by reyneman
I can see it coming now- Grumpy will remove me from moddin the vinyl forum!

I ripped some music into...MP3 format:eek:

Soon I'll be hobnobbin with the Mighty Thor, discussing the latest compression techniques, wondering just how many tracks I can fit on a memory stick. Oh, the pain:yikes:

Wait... is that the big guy?:grumpy: Honest, it was just for my son's multimedia presentation, they had no other source available.

The check's in the mail, I'll pay you Tuesday, I'll erase it when he's done;)

Seems to be some pretty decent freeware available, I downloaded Audiograbber, did what I needed to do.

What's your opinion of good (and FREE) software for converting CD and WAV files to MP3 format?

No, I'm not converting from vinyl....yet:cool:

Your subject line made me think of this...

"Walk to the bedroom,
in the suitcase on the left
you'll find my favorite tube amp.
Don't look so frightened,
MP3 is just a passing phase,
one of my bad days...
Would you like to call the cops?
Do you think it's time I stopped?
Why are you running away?"

Oh man, I love Floyd. By the way, which one's Pink?

Yours,

Wiggy

Holy S.... Wiggy!!

I just read through this thread to arm myself on what to use for WMA to MP3 conversion for my son's thingie. Here I sit listening to The Wall :banana: as I type, I haven't figured out who Pink is either but fantastic album anyway. :thmbsp: Bob

I agree with Exact Audio Copy. MP3's are actually an obsolete format, now that there are MP4's, AAC's, and other more recent formats that are leaps and bounds better than MP3's.

If you are still converting to MP3's, d/l a more current codec. You'll find 'em all over the internet for free.

reyneman said:
Thanks for the input- downloaded the free version, will test it later.

Well Ray...its been 7 months....have any luck with it...or?..........

I find it reely easy to use..and get the results I want....different bitrates...not just 128 .....and there is a conversion dealie in there too ...for converting back to wavs....with external signal processing if you like.....I use the 'DFX'...for any CDs I make...it makes the MP3s sound Soooooo much better........

Getting an Ipod mini for my son for xmas, I can't wait to play with it! :naughty:

Welcome to the true Dark Side!!! :D

I use EAC & NERO 6. EAC has the advantage of being free, plus it's a great utility. I like Nero's user interface better for compiling tracks to burn, otherwise I do all my ripping with EAC.

I never use MP3 for anything. Back when I did dabble with MP3, I used Music Match. Nice utility.

????????????

Buy the time I get done with all my LPs cassettes, CDs and frst generation DVDs, you'll have gone through ten digital formats.

And I'll be in classifieds looking for 35 year old gear :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom