It's the journey. Not just the destination. My system as it changed through the years.

LRM_EXPORT_884891696918863_20190324_180755685.jpeg

Latest iteration of my system. Have integrated the Dynaco ST-70 into the rotation. It outputs to the Sonys. The Model 500 is hooked up to the 703s although I'm thinking of taking them out and keeping just one system but I like the sound of the solid state Kenwood.

How long do tubes last, by the way?

I keep a full compliment of tubes in stock at all times. My experience is output tubes and rectifier are the problem ones. Modern rectifiers are the biggest problem. I keep 2 of these handy. You should get a few years out of your tubes if your equipment is maintained dependent upon usage.

I'm a bit jealous of your setup. Wish I could place my M7's in a large open space without the fear of my cats messing with them:-!

BTW, tell us more about the cabinet all your gear rests on. It's beautiful.

I keep a full compliment of tubes in stock at all times. My experience is output tubes and rectifier are the problem ones. Modern rectifiers are the biggest problem. I keep 2 of these handy. You should get a few years out of your tubes if your equipment is maintained dependent upon usage.

The Genelex tubes on my ST-70 are about two years old now. My usage varies, but probably averages about two to three hours on and off. How much longer will they last?

I'm a bit jealous of your setup. Wish I could place my M7's in a large open space without the fear of my cats messing with them:-!

BTW, tell us more about the cabinet all your gear rests on. It's beautiful.

I'm lucky that my two dogs never pay attention to my speakers. They don't even come near them. I transposed my setup from the other end of the room to their current location because the piano was in front of the speakers. Placing them where they are now improved the soundstage and imaging greatly. The M7s do need room to breathe.

My cabinet is a 60" Wyatt media console from Crate and Barrel. They do come in various lengths to suit various needs.

View attachment 1483001

Latest iteration of my system. Have integrated the Dynaco ST-70 into the rotation. It outputs to the Sonys. The Model 500 is hooked up to the 703s although I'm thinking of taking them out and keeping just one system but I like the sound of the solid state Kenwood.

How long do tubes last, by the way?
Looks like it's right out of a magazine. Simply beautiful. I hope it sounds as glorious as it looks!

Realistically power tubes can and do last 10,000 or more hours. Mil spec tubes will last as long as 100,000 hours. Do the math and you will find you have a lot of life left in those tubes. Most of my tube collection is from organ pulls and buying used but tested vintage tubes. I suspect they will outlast me.

Looks like it's right out of a magazine. Simply beautiful. I hope it sounds as glorious as it looks!

Thanks. It still sounds a tad bright for me, honestly. I will have to start thinking of treating the room more at this point. Otherwise i'm very pleased with the sound. Just a bit more fine tuning. I think I've done well given the limited budget and space I have to work with.

Realistically power tubes can and do last 10,000 or more hours. Mil spec tubes will last as long as 100,000 hours. Do the math and you will find you have a lot of life left in those tubes. Most of my tube collection is from organ pulls and buying used but tested vintage tubes. I suspect they will outlast me.

I haven't really read up on tubes and this is the first time that i've got some decent hardware so I'm trying to learn about them the old fashioned way: bugging other members for their knowledge and personal experiences haha!

For all the postings I've done here, I've never created a thread that charted my audio journey (thank God, right?). Here's my attempt at chronicling the changes I've made to my system, and what have stayed and fallen by the wayside in the four years since I started pursuing this hobby with a passion. pardon the lack of order. I've downloaded the pics where I could find them, and even I can't keep track of the many changes I've made to get to where I'm at right now.

My first serious system. Marantz MR255, Dual 1219 and B&W 703. At the bottom is a friend's Sansui that we used for A/B testing at that time.
View attachment 1350422

Marantz 2270, Sony PS-X50 B&W 705 with a HTM7 in the middle. After this I went full two channel mode.
View attachment 1350432

My first experience with tubes. Sony PS-X50, Fisher TA600, Marantz 2270, B&W 703 and KLH Model 6. The grilles on the 6's were grimy but they played nice with the Fisher.
View attachment 1350431

My Sony phase. Sony STR-7065, Sony PS-X65, Sony CDP-C8ESD, Marantz 2270, Sony STR-6055, Sony -7055, B&W 703.
View attachment 1350434

My first separates. Sony TR 5000, Sony TA2000F, Sony TA3200. I've also gotten my Yamaha NS-690III at this time.
View attachment 1350429

And then I rediscovered Kenwood. Kenwood KA-8300 with my Pickering headphones beside it.
View attachment 1350416

Kenwood KX-030, Kenwood KT-7500 and Kenwood KA-9100. Beside them is my Denon DP-59L, which I picked up in Greenwich Village in New York and had to lug around for five blocks to where I parked. I think it says something about the city dwellers when you're carrying around a 30lb something big turntable and nobody gives you a second look.
View attachment 1350417

Luxman C-120and M-120. Don't these things sound nice. No matter how much Ioved the looks of my Kenwood stack there is no denying that they sound much better so to much reluctance I gave up my eye candy trophy for something that satisfies me much better.
View attachment 1350435

This past year I've been lucky. I finally found a pair of Sony SS-M7/, a G-120 for my Luxman stack...
View attachment 1350447

...and got a Kenwood Model 500. I can honestly say that this is the best my system's sounded so far.
View attachment 1350444
Very very nice and inspirational.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom