It's true about Coat-Hanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coat hanger wire is just a solid (as opposed to stranded) conductor but has it's limitations in the length department.

Unless you butt soldered the ends together.

Don't know if it's still in vogue, but years ago solid copper house wire was all the rage. Somewhere in the past year, I read something about lengths of copper water line instead of runs of wire.

I never tried the solid copper house wire myself but some co- workers did. Sonically, they were quite pleased but because the stuff is butt ugly and doesn't lay right, they went back to more supple stranded cable.

I can't remember exactly what the argument against stranded speaker wire was but it was something like the more the strands, the less coherent the signal.

I was sufficiently convinced to start using Kimber 4VR which I do to this day and it's been 25 years. Not exactly a solid conductor but the strands are thick. The strand count per sheath is 7 if I remember correctly and in the case of 4VR, they're of differing diameters.

Someone on Barter Town has 12 foot pairs of 4VR with fancy banana plugs on both ends for a hundred dollars per. Someone bought one pair already.

Oh-oh... White paint? Big mistake... White paint causes electron reflections, causing wave packet smear.

Use flat white and make sure it is dry to avoid that smear. Ceiling white is good for high frequency response.

Flat white? No no no; everyone knows matt surfaces have higher emissivity. Those precious electrons will pour out.

And I forgot about titanium oxide bond resonance.

Semi-gloss is OK if you like the California sound. But I like the flat New England sound

Wait a dang minute. I get white coat hangers they are ready to go as is, not special paint. The electrons coursing through that solid metal inside the paint are actually bouncing off the reflective white paint and it helps the sound travel from the amp to the speaker. The continued reflections are in the direction of travel from the amp to the speakers so there is not smear of any wave packets.

If one were to use their own selected paint, all those types listed above you are messing with the true sound of the coathanger and might not get the full benefit using the coathangers in the first place.

No. Any reflections will cause different propagation path lengths, just like they do in fibre optics. You need to have monomode conduction. Black paint is absobtive, so prevents reflection.

The perfect paint job is a rainbow sequence, which encourages total internal reflection, leading to monomode propagation. But whatever you do, make sure it is applied red first. Violet first? Oh lord...

But, for preference, I go for simple galvanized iron coat hangers. The electropotential difference between the iron and zinc encourages cognitive dissonance.

Aerogel ('solidified smoke') is an excellent insulator: electrically, thermally and emotionally.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I tried coat hangers once. When I went to give them another listen the next day, my wife had hung laundry on them.

2635fda6e9357875f22db77f163b09c9293a0cea9f243fdd78dcd7826ab1e53f.jpg

Just kidding, I like these threads. ;)

No. Any reflections will cause different propagation path lengths, just like they do in fibre optics. You need to have monomode conduction. Black paint is absobtive, so prevents reflection.

The perfect paint job is a rainbow sequence, which encourages total internal reflection, leading to monomode propagation. But whatever you do, make sure it is applied red first. Violet first? Oh lord...

If you want to handle the deep bass, you better start with infra-red. And don't forget the ultra-violet. Your super-tweeter will thank you.

I'm going to fess up. True story:
Way back in the thrilling days of yester-year when I was pushing a pair of ML Sequel IIs with as much SS bi-amped power as I could afford I went to a local welding shop and bought 100' of 4g welding cable and split it into 8 strips of 12' and 'soldered' banana plugs on with a torch.
At the time I think I paid about $100 for the cable and just recently dug them out and gave them to my son. He took them and sold them for scrap at the salvage yard.
Not sure what he got, I'll have to ask.

ROY G BIV

I took the OP question as a serious one but I could be wrong. He's been here about a month and being treated as if he were a joke in this thread. It's far better to teach a person than ridicule them for what they want to achieve. There are no stupid questions sure isn't holding any water here. If he doesn't come back I wouldn't blame him.

I was looking for reviews on speaker wires.. and i kept getting those old Coat-Hanger articles on Google..

So i decided to try and really see.. i tried to bend a couple of coat-hanger (my wife is not gona like me) and replaced one side of Audioquest Type 4 and compare it with the other side... and it definately sounds as good with the Coat-Hanger.

And it also sound slightly better than cheap Monster cable that i had. Since i don't have any Nordost grade wire i can't compare with high end.. but against Audioquest Type-4 the Coat-Hanger has a really great sounding..and just as good.

I:ll just have to figure out how to add bananas to coat-hanger.. using shrink-tube will probably prevent them from shorting each other...

So my question is... for someone who doesn't move/change the equipment often..should we just use Coat-Hanger ?

If you think coat hangers sound good, why not try some lengths of THHN?

I took the OP question as a serious one but I could be wrong. He's been here about a month and being treated as if he were a joke in this thread. It's far better to teach a person than ridicule them for what they want to achieve. There are no stupid questions sure isn't holding any water here. If he doesn't come back I wouldn't blame him.

NO SHIT

A douchnozzle move by all. It stopped being funny about three replies in.

That's because no one know who i am... There wasn't anything serious about my original post... what if we just talk about musicotherapy next time....

There are two sides to every bed. :)

That's because no one know who i am... There wasn't anything serious about my original post... what if we just talk about musicotherapy next time....

Only if we're allowed to expand the thread into the arena of aroma therapy. I find the smell of frying bacon really opens up the sound stage here.

Then again, I'm just a douche nozzle, so what do I know ... ;-}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom