Its Turkey Day!

mfrench

Addicted Member
At least here in the Mayberry of SoCali, Fallbrook.
This is what we woke to to this morning.

This is just outside my music room window at like 6am
DSCN4114.jpg

Then, Sarge took over. She spoils birds rotten. She started throwing them bread broken into small pieces, and they very willfully followed her down to the patio area
DSCN4117.jpg DSCN4118.jpg DSCN4119.jpg

We wrangled them, and called the neighbor.
Sarge has been talking to them for months. They live on the hill up above us, with a fairly broad span of open land between us. Sarge will go out and feed the birds bread and seed, and give a turkey gobble up to thehm, and they dutifully reply, every time.
Sarge was dreading that they were, well, going to be eaten for T-Day.
It turns out, they're family pets, and won't be eaten. Sarge was elated.

Its too funny that they knew right where to come, after all of their turkey talk over the months.

Last edited:
And being an audio g33k at the highest squared to the tenth power level possible, I quickly grabbed my electric shaver Roland R09HR recorder, and hit record, and put it down on the concrete pathway, where Sarge had dumped a pile of bird seed,.. and they proceeded to walk around the recorder for a good five minutes, pecking at the seed pile.
This is with the onboard internal mics,... nothing fancy at all.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sj9i3qb4by6wfxr/turkey-day_mp3.mp3?dl=0

So, Sarge went out and bought a Turkey Telecommunicator Device. She now heads out there and chats with them via that squeaky device.
515232.jpg

The recording,.... If you give dropbox a minute to load the file, it will eventually show the peaks of the .wav form. That way, if you jump to just before them, there isn't the minutes of gap between gobbles.

Did someone say "Twerky"???

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now we've gone binaural.
Its Thanksgiving and the turkeys are still with us.

Sarge, her turkey call, and the turkeys (and crows, and sparrows, and dog, and cars, motorcycles, etc):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/16zewh8qlk4kltf/talking-turkey.mp3?dl=0

There is a good binaural effect of a car coming up our road, at :48sec+, entering the image in the let channel, passing behind the head, and passing us via the right channel.
Also, lots of small birds.
The dang highway (two lane road to town), is busy this morning with people getting T-Day busy.

Last edited:
Town west of Sacramento built around UC Davis. Mild weather, but always plenty of snowflakes. (just my opinion)
I see what you did, there.

This reminds me of the first time I saw a coyote trotting down my street years ago. I called bylaw, and the response was basically " if it isn't hurting anyone, or another animal, or acting rabid, we just leave them be".
So either those birds should be left alone, or Davis needs one of those crusty old guys with a gun to take care of business while the authorities turn their eyes towards 'more important business', lol.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm thankful for all of my loved ones including my AK family. Thanx to all of you for being awesome! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom