It's working! Thank you everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe so, but what could possibly be gained trolling a bunch of old audio buffs? ;)

Doesn't matter.
The point was to establish an identity in The United States. Once established, that identity would gain followers and messages would spread and trend.
It was done on twitter and facebook. The more times this person show's up...the better. What better way to get attention than to use an attractive avatar and desirable (to some) identity. The more forums this person joins, the more credible the identity becomes. Melvin Redick was a clever concept.
Miss Marantz may have a facebook page. Maybe someone viewing her Avatar searches her name and asks to become her "facebook friend" (not on Facebook, don't know the lingo).
Once there...maybe his computer gets redirected and becomes infected with a virus as he joins.
Clever and pernicious.
(Did you read the article?)

Last edited:
I'll bet you would be surprised if you hung out with some of us "cynics". Some of us are pretty cool and fun!!
I'm not. I'm cruel and capricious. Just today, my colleagues and I invited all our new students who are starting classes next week -- I'm a university lecturer and run the computer science programme -- to a buffet lunch, and I made three young people cry by eating all the olives.

The new students weren't too happy about it, either.

P.S.: It was a lot of olives. I feel slightly nauseous.

I'm all for tinfoil, but in this case I doubt the troll had an intent to really harm people. But then again, one just never knows.

Doesn't matter.
The point was to establish an identity in The United States. Once established, that identity would gain followers and messages would spread and trend.
It was done on twitter and facebook. The more times this person show's up...the better. What better way to get attention than to use an attractive avatar and desirable (to some) identity. The more forums this person joins, the more credible the identity becomes. Melvin Redick was a clever concept.
(Did you read the article?)
i DID read the article - all the mentioned links were to Social Media site.
So I ask again, what is to be gained trolling an Audio fan site -

So I ask again, what is to be gained trolling an Audio fan site -
Probably has nothing to do with audio other than Audiokarma being a big, popular forum with a lot of participants.

From years of experience on various fora, it's usually a prank or insider joke ("won't this be funny", or "hold my beer and watch this"), a dare ("bet you can't pretend to be an <x> and make them think <y>), some sort of hazing ritual ("do <x> and you'll become part of the inner circle"), or a prelude to marketing activity ("I'm a single mum and I've seen hard times but I've just started a small business and I'm going to succeed this time because you guys are my bestest buddies and I've got a special deal for y'all cuz you were so nice to me..."), or a random zagnut doing inexplicably nutty stuff.

I'm not. I'm cruel and capricious. Just today, my colleagues and I invited all our new students who are starting classes next week -- I'm a university lecturer and run the computer science programme -- to a buffet lunch, and I made three young people cry by eating all the olives.

The new students weren't too happy about it, either.

P.S.: It was a lot of olives. I feel slightly nauseous.

At least you made sure they didn't get any. Good job!

KF: Usenet times were fun - and less bizarre than today (at least in my memory). And funny group names there were, like alt.french.captain.borg.borg.borg or alt.fan.karl-malden.nose... :D

Searching for my real name via Google Groups I can still find old posts of mine dating back to as far as 1990 - also including my sales ad from September 1991 for my first 486-PC, equipped with the mighty Micropolis1568-15.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I want to thank everyone for providing me with a great way to waste time at work today as I have nothing to do. Forty five minutes were eaten! Some posts mad me sad and most made me chuckle! My avatar is really our ole Angus as he's much nicer looking! I have witnesses... :D

KF: Usenet times were fun - and less bizarre than today (at least in my memory). And funny group names there were, like alt.french.captain.borg.borg.borg or alt.fan.karl-malden.nose... :D

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Yea I meant all the stuff in between like the early days of forums that were a bit more chaotic than now. Most people finally have some "Netiquette". Admins know better how to handle things. There are less and less "newbs" to forums and social media these days. Most kids now are growing up with that stuff so they know how to act instinctively (although some do choose to be buttheads....teen boys for ya. But they know better.).

Probably has nothing to do with audio other than Audiokarma being a big, popular forum with a lot of participants.

From years of experience on various fora, it's usually a prank or insider joke ("won't this be funny", or "hold my beer and watch this"), a dare ("bet you can't pretend to be an <x> and make them think <y>), some sort of hazing ritual ("do <x> and you'll become part of the inner circle"), or a prelude to marketing activity ("I'm a single mum and I've seen hard times but I've just started a small business and I'm going to succeed this time because you guys are my bestest buddies and I've got a special deal for y'all cuz you were so nice to me..."), or a random zagnut doing inexplicably nutty stuff.

Your forgot the "secret group communicates via PMs".

On another forum I'm on, ee basically adopted this young man. 22 or so, traded a working truck for a broken one. Started a thread "I need help".

We helped.

We sent him all over the place, he visited various members, worked for some, repaired his truck only to sell it again for a broken IH.

There is a girl involved somewhere and he wants to be a marine.

He does everything the board tells him to do.

There are a couple of videos of various steps and visits.

It currently has 10500+ posts.

There is a couple of studies that could make a couple of doctors in that thread.

Last edited:
I have a 4 year degree in Psychology...got kick out of grad school after 3 years for 'personal issues'.

I could help you out in profiling the 'bastids', but my mouse is shaking his head, 'No'.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Your forgot the "secret group communicates via PMs".
Yes. I kind of alluded to it (e.g, "inner circle") but should have explicitly mentioned it as it's often a factor, including those that run on a different platform to avoid snooping by forum moderators.

Most of the forum behaviours I mentioned -- except stealth marketing and outright nuttiness -- can be found in the playground behaviour of any reasonably-sized group of prepubescent boys, which is both sad and curious.
There is a couple of studies that could make a couple of doctors in that thread.
I should have mentioned "grad student conducting experiment" too, but these days it would be unlikely to get past any university ethics committee.

Yes. I kind of alluded to it (e.g, "inner circle") but should have explicitly mentioned it as it's often a factor, including those that run on a different platform to avoid snooping by forum moderators.

Most of the forum behaviours I mentioned -- except stealth marketing and outright nuttiness -- can be found in the playground behaviour of any reasonably-sized group of prepubescent boys, which is both sad and curious.

I should have mentioned "grad student conducting experiment" too, but these days it would be unlikely to get past any university ethics committee.

No blood, no foul.

I think it's funny.

I used to work with mentally retarded and behavior disorder kids. After awhile your compassion runs out. It turns to passion, and then you pride yourself on your skills at being mean.

:biggrin:

Tox said 'wrong on so many levels'. It is...but it's fun none the less.

No animals were harmed in the making of this thread.

This whole scenario is known as Catfishing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfishing

Whoever this person is, they probably were looking for attention. I don't know all of the things that have happened here, but I have heard it can be creepy for some female members with all the attention they are given. I'm sure it is the same on any male dominated forum and I'm sure lots of people know this.
If someone wanted to get attention, posing as a woman on a male dominated forum would give them all the attention they desired.
I for one don't answer a thread unless I'm interested or can help with the question. I don't care who starts it man or woman.

I wanted to make sure — unlike most, that what I said was correct. Not make a quick statement. The first statement, was a fine statement. But you don't make statements that direct unless you know the fact. It takes a little while to get the facts. You still don't know the facts, and it's a very, very important process to me, and it's a very important statement, so I don't want to go quickly and just make a statement for the sake of making a statement.

I want to know the facts. Now, here's the thing. Excuse me, excuse me. Take it nice and easy. Here's the thing. When I make a statement, I like to be correct. I want the facts. This event just happened. In fact, a lot of the event didn't even happen yet, as we were speaking. This event just happened. Before I make a statement, I need the facts, so I don't want to rush into a statement.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom