iTunes and AppleTV as a Quality Music Server

Duffinator

Spin The Black Circle
I'm currently using a Denon DVD-2900 universal player for CD/SACD playback and it sounds noticeable better than any of the low/mid-fi players I've owned. I use it mostly for CD but have close to 20 SACD's. So much better that for the past year I've been wondering how much better a really nice CD/SACD player would sound. I have been looking at the new Sony SCD-5400ES, Marantz SA-8003, and several used players in that price range. The new Marantz has a USB connection on the front and that got me thinking about the future of digital audio. We can debate it all day long but from my perspective the days of physical digital media are numbered. So with that in mind I started looking at what's the best way to implement all digital audio without buying or building a dedicated media server since I already have my music ripped to a computer and have wired and wireless N capabilities in my home.

That got me searching here on AK and other sites and the first device that really caught my attention was the Wadia iTransport. While a really cool device, for my needs I'm not sure that's the answer although it could be the way I go. So then I thought about the AppleTV. I have one connected to my HT and I think it's a great product for my use, mainly music and photos. It has a wonderful GUI that is simple to operate (although Apple is really loading up iTunes and ATV with stuff I don't need or want). I've already bought into the whole iTunes regime so no need to debate that here as I'm not going to change at this time.

So my goal here is to have digital audio into my dedicated stereo system that sounds better than my current player and hopefully a lot better.

So what I'm thinking of doing is re ripping all my CD's with EAC into ALAC files. I will use an ATV wirelessly and then use the optical digital out into a DAC. Right now I'm looking at the new Cambridge Audio DACMagic. Opinions on whether or not you think this setup will meet my goal? One of the issues is controlling the ATV. I will either need a monitor or use my Touch to control the ATV. I could use an Airport express as well but I like the added flexibility with the ATV. I could even use the ATV as the server itself and not worry about streaming audio. The 160gb capacity will hold my entire music collection but I would eventually run out of space.

BTW, I will keep my Denon for occasional SACD playback.

Is anyone else using an ATV in a similar application?

Assuming the ATV sends out a bit perfect signal, the sound will be dependant on the gear/DAC that follows it.

If the ATV is controllable via the touch when the monitor is off, I think it makes for a nice setup.

BTW I do not own an ATV.

Assuming the ATV sends out a bit perfect signal, the sound will be dependant on the gear/DAC that follows it.
I've researched this before and from what I found it does send out a bit perfect signal. Stereo and DD are possible and I use the DAC in my Denon 3805.

Anyone already doing this in a dedicated stereo system? If so what were the results and what DAC are you using?

I read somewhere that Wadia can not play FLAC.

Does ATV stream music or sends to HD for playback. My Slingbox takes up a lot of bandwidth which makes music streaming with a lot of hick-ups.

I've researched this before and from what I found it does send out a bit perfect signal. Stereo and DD are possible and I use the DAC in my Denon 3805.

Anyone already doing this in a dedicated stereo system? If so what were the results and what DAC are you using?
Keep in mind that most outboard DACs are for 2 channel audio. Therefore, you need to use the receiver to decode it if you want 5.1, unless you want to buy a splitter. I have a similar setup that uses an M-Audio splitter.

The question about which DAC to buy is a tough one. I am not sure what will better the DAC in your receiver. I know headfi has tons of reviews comparing different models.

I've been taking a look at the SlingBox, After seeing a demo. There is HMDI 1.3 support, USB and digital audio. Believe there is a wireless adapter, But refuse to do any wireless in my HT. (Less the remote, Of course)

Keep in mind that most outboard DACs are for 2 channel audio. Therefore, you need to use the receiver to decode it if you want 5.1, unless you want to buy a splitter. I have a similar setup that uses an M-Audio splitter.
I already use one in my HT but what I'm talking about here is for a dedicated stereo system in a different room from my HT. I'll be specifically looking for a quality two channel DAC.

Does ATV stream music or sends to HD for playback. My Slingbox takes up a lot of bandwidth which makes music streaming with a lot of hick-ups.
I stream from my PC to the ATV. I will test the WiFi capabilites with my existing ATV before I buy another one. I stream audio and HD video to my existing ATV via a wired LAN and have never had any hiccups with my current setup. If WiFi is an issue I can always drop another Cat 5 in my den.

Is the Wadia the issue or the iPod itself? I don't think iTunes or iPods support FLAC and that's why I'm going to use ALAC.

I've been taking a look at the SlingBox, After seeing a demo. There is HMDI 1.3 support, USB and digital audio. Believe there is a wireless adapter, But refuse to do any wireless in my HT. (Less the remote, Of course)
Do you use the DAC in your prepro with the SlingBox or another DAC?

I already use one in my HT but what I'm talking about here is for a dedicated stereo system in a different room from my HT. I'll be specifically looking for a quality two channel DAC.
Not sure why you would go with the ATV when the airport express will be just as useful with the iPod Touch? I thought the benefit of ATV over the airport express was the video?

Which DAC will depend on how much you want to spend.

Do you use the DAC in your prepro with the SlingBox or another DAC?

Have not purchased the slingbox yet, Have seen it in action. It's on this months X-mas list. Doing a bit more research first, But seems to support what your after. The issue I have is the audio side of it. Seems like you can go 2 ways, HDMI(W/Audio) in too your AVR/PrePro, Or digital(Coaxial) in, Then out to the TV. Theres a pic of the back panel here;
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher-connections

Not sure why you would go with the ATV when the airport express will be just as useful with the iPod Touch? I thought the benefit of ATV over the airport express was the video?
I'm still working through that one. I really like the GUI on the ATV so that would be the main reason for using it but then I need a monitor. Might be easier to manage the audio files this way. But I'm going to move my existing ATV into my den and use my Touch and see how it works before I buy any new equipment. There are trade offs both ways. For testing purposes I'll use the digital input on my Denon DAP 2500 preamp. The DAP 2500 is almost 20 years old in design so I'm not expecting great results with the internal DACs.

I appreciate the comments from everyone as I think through this. :thmbsp:

Have not purchased the slingbox yet, Have seen it in action. It's on this months X-mas list. Doing a bit more research first, But seems to support what your after. The issue I have is the audio side of it. Seems like you can go 2 ways, HDMI(W/Audio) in too your AVR/PrePro, Or digital(Coaxial) in, Then out to the TV. Theres a pic of the back panel here;
http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingcatcher-connections
Is the main difference between the box and catcher internet capability?

If you have Firewire and a Mac, Apogee Duet is hard to beat at $499. Connect that to Pro Powered Monitors like Adam Audio, Focal Solo6 BE or Dynaudio and you'll have a system that will give any Hi-Fi a run for the money.

I am using AirTunes (Airport Express) and iPhone as remote. It's nice if you have enough bandwidth. I found that dropouts & remote unable to connect happens too often for my taste.

Is the main difference between the box and catcher internet capability?
I have an older Slingbox AV. The box has video, audio, and ethernet inputs. This makes it possible to be anywhere with an internet connection and watch things like satellite TV (from your living room) from a computer with the sling software or cell phone.

The catcher receives the signal from your slingbox (or internet) and takes the place of a computer on the receiving end. It also has USB inputs for playing files back directly.

I was just looking at the Remote functions and I will download it and try it tonight. :thmbsp:

It's really cool and pretty. My only problem is dropouts. I plan to make attempts to fix that, soon.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
The iPhone as an iTunes WiFi remote appears to be a killer app - thanks for alerting me to it! This way, I can actually get to use my iPhone/Touch, instead of having it sit in its cradle tethered to my amp all night...on the other hand, the iPhone seems to need charging quite often, so keeping it in the cradle saves me that hassle.

Back
Top Bottom