Itunes music to old stereo system

GregWyld

Hi, I'm a newbie from Melbourne, Aust. with a tech question. I've already posted this on the Introductions forum and have been told to repost it here.

I don't have any tech background or training. Listening to music is one of the joys in my life and I'm not necessarily into HI FI tech stuff but if need be then I'm happy to go there.

I got this idea that it would be cool to rip all our CD's to Itunes and play them through my 20 year old stereo system. Providing quality wasn't TOO compromised...

So what I did was I put about 30GB of Itunes music on a 750GB external hard drive and connected that to a Toshiba Satellite P3 laptop with a USB lead (unfortunately the laptop USB ports are the older slower type, USB 1.0). I then connected the laptop to the AUX red/white pots on the stereo amp (Pioneer 400W SA 606, it’s old but still pumping out CD sourced music very nicely, both channels quite clean) with RCA leads from the laptop’s headphone jack, which happens to be right along side the USB ports on the back panel of the laptop and when the 3.5mm headphone plug with built in splitter to stereo RCA pots is plugged in it presses against the body of the USB plugs (one for external HD and one for the mouse). Whether this is causing a minor EMF interference to the sound signal travelling through headphone jack I don’t know, but they can’t be prevented from touching each other.

The best sound I can get from this hook up, has good power ouput but a lot of fuzz across the dynamic range (bass, mid and high), most noticeable of course when music with lots of fuzzy guitar is played. I have tried the other inputs on the amp (tape & phono) and they are no good. Admittedly running Itunes on the laptop and accessing the files on the external HD makes command response times a bit slow but I don’t think that that would cause the signal to deteriorate so noticeably. I plugged some headphones into the jack to check the sound through them and it was fine. So it sounds like a an impedance mismatch from the laptop to the amp.

I don’t think it’s related to the problem but I setup up the laptop’s screensaver to scroll through 20GB of digital photos while the music is playing (so it doubles as a digital photoframe) the photos are also accessed on the external HD via the somewhat slow USB connection.

Are there any external sound cards available that could match up the impedance and clean up the signal? Or is this whole set up just not going to work? I know of people who have successfully setup itunes on their stereos using Ipods, I don’t want to do it that way because I like the idea of building lots of playlists from our entire music collection and selecting from a large screen as the mood fits. I know that MP3 files will never sound as good as CD sourced signals but I figured it wouldn't be TOO noticable...

Would a new 5.1 home theatre system have better impedance matching and so work better for this sort of setup? I have’nt got one so far because I like my old separate component stereo system but the CD player is starting to skip the 1st track on CD’s and despite running those clean up discs with the little brushes on them it still does it. I tried the new setup because I figured the CD player is on it’s way out.

That’s about it for the details. I though I had come up with a good idea with this setup but maybe it’s just a fanciful idea that can’t work.

Thanks for listening to my issue

There are numerous USB soundcards that might be better than your internal sound hardware, though I think you'll want to make sure your processor is at least 600mhz.
The best setup IMO would be USB>digital out>External DAC. You can start with an economical DAC like a Beresford or a used Entech and swap you way up.

I would heartily suggest ripping to a lossless format. As you increase the resoltion of your output the difference will be noticable.

Thanks Frank,
I've changed my plans a bit. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a 5.1 home theatre system (the family will be pleased) and I am going too hook up a PC (not my laptop) to the system to play itunes as our music delivery system. I think I will buy a sound card (Creative Audigy maybe, off ebay) for the PC to produce an enhanced digital audio signal to the 5.1 amp. Will this give a satisfactory result? I am not an audiophile, so I I'm not looking for near perfect sound quality.
Acronyms that I still don't understand at this tech level; DAC & FLAC. By 'lossless' format I assume its ripping a CD to a Cd quality audio file (is this possible in Itunes? I rip through Itunes at 320 mbps, which seems to be the best availbe there. I've done about 300 CD's at this rate.

Thanks Frank,
I've changed my plans a bit. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a 5.1 home theatre system (the family will be pleased) and I am going too hook up a PC (not my laptop) to the system to play itunes as our music delivery system. I think I will buy a sound card (Creative Audigy maybe, off ebay) for the PC to produce an enhanced digital audio signal to the 5.1 amp.
Acronyms that I still don't understand at this tech level; DAC

GregWyld,

Yes, iTunes lets you rip your CDs either full size without compression using AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) or with Apple's own lossless ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), as well as with the "lossy" compression codecs such as MP3, AAC, etc. ALAC will contain all the information that AIFF does, but will be a smaller file (ballpark average would be 70%, maybe).

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is just an open source version of lossless. I don't think iTunes currently has support for FLAC built in, but I've read of workarounds.

As storage is becoming so cheap, I would definitely rip your CDs with a lossless compression, which is my eventual plan as well.

Good luck!

You home theater receiver may have a digital input, to which you could connect your PC's sound card digital out.
Apple lossless is the way to go with ITunes.

You home theater receiver may have a digital input, to which you could connect your PC's sound card digital out.
Apple lossless is the way to go with ITunes.

I have recently made the jump to digital media serving as well. iTunes has a great feature that allows the stream to be sent via wifi to your system. I have in the past used this to have the kids wondering about coming for candy on halloween:D but now a serious setup has been installed.

I was concerned with the quality both from a sound card and from using the Apple Airport Express in analogue to drive my system. Frankly the sound sucked:thumbsdn:. Then I read about the digital output capabilities from the Airport and purchased the necessary cable from Apple. Wow! I plug this into my preamp/processor and too a listen comparing back and forth between the cd's from an audiophile player and the media server. Media server wins.

Of coarse the challenge is that my laptop is in my office and my rig is two floors away. Not convenient to run up and down the stairs. Answer... Ipod Touch as a remote for iTunes. From anywhere in the house I can control the music. As well I can setup multiple systems for music anywhere. So far though I have only been able to figure out how to have one stream playing at a time so I can't play different music on different systems. I send the digital signal into a Tag McLaren AV32R Pre/Pro and it just flat out sounds better than any CD player I have used. You also have the same capabilities plus 5.1 and HD if you use Apple TV instead of the Airport Express.

Apple also has a Wifi hard drive up to 1 TB to store all this and mae it accessable to multiple computers in your home. coool:smoke:

i'm using an older mac, and i bought a thing online called Rocket FM, which is a usb device that sends a clean signal to any fm receiver in the house. it's adjustable onscreen, so you can set it to an open space on the fm dial. works great. i got mine for around $14. i think they cost a couple hundred when they first came out. alternatively, i can also run itunes through an m-box 2 (digidesign) usb signal processor, thru a yamaha amp, which is hooked to a couple klh 20 speakers. also great sound.

Regarding the fuzziness, where do you have the volume control set on the iPod and/or laptop? If it's at 100%, that might be your problem. I find that roughly 75% provides the best quality output with minimal distortion.

HTH,

bs

I use an AirPort Express whenever I want to play my iTunes on my stereo. I would say the sound quality is much better than when it is connected directly to my computer, however I occasionally experience some jittering or delays in playback when my network traffic is heavy. It's a small price to pay for what I consider to be a worthwhile improvement.

Back
Top Bottom