itunes rant/question (longish)

Well, I'm about ready to take a farking ball peen hammer to this iPOS.....

Decided to start loading it from the computer tonight, and get the message shown in the screen shot below. So it seems I've basically got an electronic paperweight.

Signed,
One God Damned Dissatisfied iPOD owner.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 26
The only thing I'm sure of is that nothing about this piece of equipment works, including the shitty software that is required to use it.

...and trying to do a "Restore" on it resulted in the screen shot below. Really fine piece of technology here, Jobs...

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 19
Take it back. They'll give you your money back, or a new one that works, or - most likely - have a 17-year-old fix it for you ...

First, I would turn off any firewall or antivirus software temporarily and try reinstalling the CD that came with the iPod. Maybe it will let you reload the firmware?

Also, you could give Ephpod a shot to see if it works with your iPod. Your iTunes software does not appear to be operating properly for some reason and this could be the problem. I am really just guessing, but trying a different software and/or reinstalling everything might help.

From the iPOS website:

"iPod products introduced on or after 12 Sept 2006 do not include an iPod or iTunes Install CD and require an Internet connection for use. If you have not already done so, you should download and install the most recent version of iTunes from: www.apple.com/ipod/start"

tentoze said:
From the iPOS website:

"iPod products introduced on or after 12 Sept 2006 do not include an iPod or iTunes Install CD and require an Internet connection for use. If you have not already done so, you should download and install the most recent version of iTunes from: www.apple.com/ipod/start"
Wow! They do not even include the cheap CD with it anymore? I should not be surprised. PC makers are not including backup CDs like they used to, either.

I would try to reinstall everything again. It sounds like something was messed up with the itunes software from the very beginning. You will probably need to remove iTunes from "add or remove programs" and start over.

uofmtiger said:
Wow! They do not even include the cheap CD with it anymore? I should not be surprised. PC makers are not including backup CDs like they used to, either.

I would try to reinstall everything again. It sounds like something was messed up with the itunes software from the very beginning. You will probably need to remove iTunes from "add or remove programs" and start over.

In-process of d/l'ing a fresh one now. 35 meg- good lord, and a resource hog when it's running as well.

Johncan said:
Download Ephpod... don't use Itunes. Save yourself the hassle.

John

From the ephpod website-

"# EphPod 2.77 (Latest NT/2K/XP) -- NOTE -- MAY NOT WORK PROPERTY WITH NEW IPODS"

Not encouraging there either.

Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks iTunes sucks!

I got an iPod for my Bday this week and love it, the pod itself it a wonderfully easy and intuitive piece of hardware but it took forever to figure out how to get the music I wanted loaded into it!

Oddly enough buying music from Apple and burning it to CD with iTunes is very easy.

tentoze said:
From the iPOS website:

They forgot to mention the virus they included free of charge instead. :D We just bought our daughter a 30gb video iPod for her 16th birthday, and it came with the virus. The irony of an Apple product intoducing a virus to my previously virus free PC was lost on me last night, as I was busy cleaning it off my machine. :mad: Perhaps you got lucky as well? It took me a little while to figure out how to get the music onto the iPod too. After getting rid of the virus, I had to reload the software, and start all over again.

P. Shivers said:
They forgot to mention the virus they included free of charge instead. :D We just bought our daughter a 30gb video iPod for her 16th birthday, and it came with the virus. The irony of an Apple product intoducing a virus to my previously virus free PC was lost on me last night, as I was busy cleaning it off my machine. :mad: Perhaps you got lucky as well? It took me a little while to figure out how to get the music onto the iPod too. After getting rid of the virus, I had to reload the software, and start all over again.

Yes, mine had it as well, but Avast caught it and wiped it out before it did anything to the computer. I still hate itunes- it's a dreadfully unwieldy piece of software to be forced to use with such a clever device.

So, of all the people that think iTunes sucks, how many of you use a PC with Windows OS?

The choice of OS on your computer should be irrelevant when trying to select a portable music player.

Lets not start an OS flame war!

The tags are the key, and if you've not been fastidious about tagging your music as you've ripped it, you're in a pickle.

Itunes will not look up tag information except when the CD is ripped.
Music Match is about the best tagger for individual files and will do them in batches.
If your files are well named and organized by album, mp3tag works failly well for full albums. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ (free)

I've been using Winamp's library function for the past few weeks and it is about the best lightweight application I've found for moving stuff to your Ipod on a PC. Another advantage is that you can organize by subdirectory (folder).

Tagging is time consuming if done ex-post facto but vital. Now if I just had the time to fix all the genre info...

The choice of OS on your computer should be irrelevant when trying to select a portable music player.

Lets not start an OS flame war!

Not what I was attempting to do. Frankly I don't give a rats butt what OS a person prefers. Run Windows 3.1 or Linux/Solaris for all I care.

However, My wife uses a HP Pentium 4 PC w/ Windows XP. I do find that the Windows version of iTunes a bit more finicky compared to the Mac version for reasons I cannot explain (and I've been using iTunes since version 1.0 on the old OS 9).

For example:

-iTunes for XP will not open a Macintosh encoded iPod. iTunes for Mac will open a Windows encoded iPod, dump music and movies on it just like normal, but it won't update or recover (that's expected).

-iTunes for XP or XP in general will not open or recognize a Mac encoded iPod as a external HDD. Macintosh will for reasons unknown. Both windows and Mac will use a FAT32 formatted HDD.

-iTunes in general likes to organise music files like this:

:localuser/itunes music/music band/album/songs (which will include music videos if the tags identify it as a music video, not a movie)

or for movies:

:localuser/iTunes music/movies/movie file name

It just likes it that way, and you gotta admit, it's pretty organized.

-iTunes will copy everything into the above organization of files unless you tell it otherwise. Frankly having copies of music all over hells 1/2 acre is not what I like.

-iTunes will allow you to pick what filefolder you want your music to be stored under. I picked one and called it "iTunes Tunes OSX" :D

Back
Top Bottom