I've always wanted one of these. Altec 604D. I have some questions.

pete1729

This speaker sat on Craigslist for a month with the price steadily falling. "Rare Altec speaker - $400", then $300, then finally $200. I flirted with the idea off and on for weeks. One side of me said "it's a stupid 12 inch Biflex, leave it alone" the other side said "it's a 604, go get it right now". They were both right; I left it alone and the price came down AND it was a 604.

I'm really enjoying it now driven by an EL84 amp with the balance all to one side.

Does the N1600-B crossover benefit from being recapped? The cabinet is about 6 1/2 cubic feet, what will I gain going to the 9 cubic foot 620 cabinet?

Does the N1600-B crossover benefit from being recapped? The cabinet is about 6 1/2 cubic feet, what will I gain going to the 9 cubic foot 620 cabinet?
The 620 cabinet will give some useful bass extension as well bass reinforcement from the large/wide baffle area, and it will move the driver's axis up a little higher/closer to seated ear level.

Build a new network from scratch(Markwart is real good) thus preserving the original and it's value in an untouched state. The original network is nothing to write home about in terms of sound/performance.

+1 on the Markwart xovers. I built a pair for my 604G's and they sound great. I used motor run oil caps with Russian bypass caps.

You can find another 604D for a decent price if you are patient. Probably not for 200$, but maybe 400-500$. Frames for recone will be a lot cheaper of course

Does your 604 have the original cone and diaphragm?

+1 on the Markwart xovers. I built a pair for my 604G's and they sound great. I used motor run oil caps with Russian bypass caps.

You can find another 604D for a decent price if you are patient. Probably not for 200$, but maybe 400-500$. Frames for recone will be a lot cheaper of course

Does your 604 have the original cone and diaphragm?

The seals on the end cap appear undisturbed. I think I'm the first one to open the cabinet since it was built.

Back
Top Bottom