I've got enough holes in my head......

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
I need another "Monster sized" receiver like I need another hole in my head.

Just picked up a working Sears Stereo by FISHER 61 9765 , the equivalent of the FISHER 634 QUAD. The AKer I got it from had got to an estate sale y'day 1st in the door and had gotten a pair of EARLY KLH-4's, a Garrard 301 TT with an Early Shure Arm, and this FISHER. 2 Ben Franklins and a US GRANT for all of it!!!

Everything looks like from a time capsule, minimal dust on all gear. The speakers have a few small water spots but nothing Restore a finish won't take care of. The Fisher is missing one of the small Microbalance knobs, but it has the Owner's manual and the CD-4 adjustment tool (Turns out this is a plastic screwdriver, LOL). This thing is HUGE!!!! 23-1/8" wide x 7-1/4" Height x 15-7/8" deep. 40lbs.

I think I'll put this out in the shed and bring in the FM-50/TX-100/MPX-100.

index.php

Last edited:
Sounds like a great find. I found a pair of KLH Model 5's (3-ways) off CL with one bad tweeter and the crossovers needing re-capped (and there was one open resistor as well). They sound quite nice and can be driven pretty well even by my 6BQ5/EL84 amps. Restore-A-Finish is in the future for these two as well.

Didn't realize that Fisher did private label for Sears. Between you and Steve, you seem to have about 1/3 of all the existing Fisher gear out there--good luck with it!
Dave

Thanks Dave. I've got Steve beat in consoles, but he's got the Market cornered on 1800's. Wife saw it, and when I said jokingly I was gonna replace the 700-T on the dresser in the bedroom, she started getting her arm warmed up. (She's deadly with a 12" cast Iron Frying pan from 20ft., batting about .850 . ) I quickly backed off, not wanting to play duck with a 12" Cast Iron Frying pan, and told her it would probably go in the shed as the shed's setup along with the Fisher (BSR) turntable and the XP-55B's. I've got 2 pair of H.H. Scott speakers (one set of S-10 2-ways, and one pair of S-15 3-ways) downstairs that are shed perfect. Not good enough looking for upstairs. Plus it'll probably need a recap anyway.

I did notice that the FISHER 634 is the original version so I looked at the S.M. and saw about 40 Tantalum's and Sintered Aluminium caps all over it. All low uf or sub 1uf @ 35 or 50v. I've got to check the Manual against the unit anyway so it'll be a check of the SM, and if good, then build a BOM for it. Films for all Tantalums and all lytics 4.0uf and below. The only thing missing is one of the small knobs for the level controls for each speaker (surrounding the "JOY" stick). Sear's / Fisher calls them MicroBalance. I'm surprised that the output's are supposed to be TO-3's according to the S.M., and Darlington's at that. We'll find out eventually. The front panel is in great shape with minimal wear on the lettering, knobs' and switch buttons are all in great shape with theexception of the missing one.

The speaker connectors are kind of unorthodox. A variation on the PIONEER speaker connectors on the SX-X3X and X50 series. Unfortunately, none of these are insulated, so I might have to put in newer insulated connections.

As Fisher was a subsidiary of Sanyo, and Sanyo had the electronics contracts, they put FISHER gear in the contracts, and the gear was called SEAR's STEREO by FISHER. Later (in the mid-late 80's) after Fisher had been relegated to 2nd or 3rd tier status, SEAR's came out with the LX1 brand of gear which was >90% Sanyo. Like most things Sears, the low and mid range stuff was mediocre at best , but the top stuff was good. Not VERY good, just good. (Mostly equivalent to the Mid x50 or Mid x80 series PIONEER Stuff say about the sx-850 or sx-980 at best).

Panasonic bought Sanyo 3 years ago (along with all subsidiaries) and de-commissioned all lines, and folded up FISHER and SANYO. So neither exist as Co's anymore. Like Sansui, and the others, FISHER is now a Brand Name only, for license by a holding Co.

Larry, cant see the pics.....and also you picking up a Sears SS....:) Good luck with it though and Yes.....You've got Fire Guard for the room tonight again.....Helmet Liner and flash lite provided by AK. :rflmao:

Larry your knowledge of this stuff blows me away. I'd love to come pick your brain and check out your stuff sometime, and that offer goes the other way too. I was just PM-ing Dave saying I have (at last count, hard to keep track) 2,175W worth of tube gear here. Most of which is bass amps, but I'm sure you would find it interesting. There's nothing like staring at 8 KT88's humming along!
Rob

Yep. I'll have to do that. Just when you think everything is going just right, WHAM! Momma hit's ya right between the headlights with that 12" Frying pan.

Everything works on it. I brought it up on the variac with the 3way DBT set to 150w. Started at 60VAC. The bulb flashed some and went dim almost immediately. After an hour it was up to 110vac. Meter readings on the spkr output's were in the sub 10mv range, so speakers got hooked up. Took off the DBT and Variac and hit it with full wall voltage. Everything works, lites, meters, pots, switches, all functions. Gonna hit all the pots and switches with some Faderlube just to lube them a little and to loosen them up.

It sounds good, surprisingly similar to my 700-T, albeit thru 4 speakers rather than 2 on the 700-t. Guess I'll keep it for at least the forseeable future.

Everything works on it. I brought it up on the variac with the 3way DBT set to 150w. Started at 60VAC. The bulb flashed some and went dim almost immediately. After an hour it was up to 110vac. Meter readings on the spkr output's were in the sub 10mv range, so speakers got hooked up. Took off the DBT and Variac and hit it with full wall voltage. Everything works, lites, meters, pots, switches, all functions. Gonna hit all the pots and switches with some Faderlube just to lube them a little and to loosen them up.

It sounds good, surprisingly similar to my 700-T, albeit thru 4 speakers rather than 2 on the 700-t. Guess I'll keep it for at least the forseeable future.
Always a good sign when everything works, glad it's turning out to be worthy of keeping.

Yeah. Good thing I had that back problem "fixed" last year or I'd not be trying to lift the power cord on this monster. It's gotta be every bit of 9ft long! :D

I've been told my grandmother laid out my uncle with the skillet once. Still nobody knows what exactly he did to piss her off so much. He's gone, she swears it never happened / couldn't remember anyway at this point.

You tend to not forget a 8-10 lb piece of Cast Iron spinning and flying through the air from a highly pissed off female. Girls can't throw a ball overhand for shit most times, but give them a frying pan, and you get to take a base 8 of 10 times......provided you're semi-conscious and not bleeding all over her freshly cleaned floor afterwards. If she gets close enough to clobber you with it in her hand, you might as well get fitted for a PINE PEACOAT!(Casket)

Never had cast iron in the house growing up. We learned to avoid the kitchen part of the house when Mom was in a mood, usually by staying outside or on a different floor!

I learned to cook on cast iron in Scouts. One of the worst things I learned, as the wife likes the old Paul Revere copper clad steel pots and pan sets. So what do I do??? Bring in my set of Cast Iron skillets for cleaning after a weekend of camping our 1st year married, and they stayed. We just had our 35th anniversary(Jul.11,1982). Our oldest was born on our 1st anniversary to the day (July 11 1983). So 2nd anniversary rolls up, and she says she wants to go out for anniversary. I popped up with "We went out last year". Says SWMBO "I was in the Hospital last year, that's NOT OUT"! And I responded like a smart ass,
"Sure, It's OUT of the House"!! She clipped me in the shoulder with the 12" pan from 15ft. We went out for dinner, with the kid in his carrier, him screaming the whole time as he was teething 4 teeth at the time. We gave up on going to the movies. She'll be 70 in Nov, and can only swing the smaller 8" or 9" square pans anymore, but is still accurate. I really hate to get rid of them as they are well seasoned and cook like nothing else I've ever used. Great hammers for tent pegs in hard dirt, tho.

Back
Top Bottom