I've Joined The Bouncy Lights Bunch

fredt300b

I finally decided to do something about the room resonances in my upstairs listening room. With the speakers out a few feet from the wall, where they image best, I have a 6dB peak at 130hz and another at 40hz at the listening position. I also had a speaker cabinet resonance at about 315hz that made jazz piano music especially stand out from the mix in a very annoying way. This is not a good situation - it makes some really good disks almost unlistenable.

So last week I ordered a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro DEQ2496 digital signal processor. It arrived today. This processor is oriented toward pro audio, and it will do all kinds of unnecessary things in a home audio system, but it also has some useful features. Probably the most useful is the real time analyzer feature - you set a mike at the listening position, plug it into the processor, bring up some pink noise from the built in noise generator, and the processor will adjust for room peaks and nulls within some parameters that you set in advance (like not correcting any freq more than 6dB, etc). It also has a separately selectable 31 band graphic equalizer and a ten band parametric equalizer with selectable bandwidths, etc. The most important feature is that it does all this in the digital realm so it doesn't screw up the phase when it equalizes. I'm currently using the digital in and analog out jacks, which take the signal from its internal dac and feeds it to my preamp.

My initital reaction is very positive. I haven't used the RTA feature yet, but using my trusty RS sound meter and a Stereophile test CD I measured the deviation from normal at each frequency then dialed in the appropriate boost or cut to level it out. Suddenly the 40 and 130hz peaks are gone, and the cabinet noise at 315hz is significantly reduced. And there appears to be no degredation of the image or any other problems I can hear.

So, OK THOR, I led you astray with tubes, now you have your revenge with bouncy lights.:yippy:

Originally posted by Wardsweb
Wow Dude look at the colors !!!!

Have you considered some of the possible uses for it in your system? For example, you could take the signal off your Seduction phono preamp from your turntable, digitize it, filter out all the hiss, snaps, crackles, and pops, expand the stereo image, use the compressor feature to add some punch to the music and cause the peaks to clip, convert it back to analog, and have "perfect sound forever" from an analog source! Should I suggest this on the Bottlehead forum and see what kind of reaction I get there?

use the compressor feature to add some punch to the music and cause the peaks to clip

As someone who does pro-audio work, I can attest that compression does not create punchiness but rather limits dynamics. Ever watch TV? It is *very* heavily compressed, commercials more so, which creates a false sense of loudness.

Clipping of course is a byproduct of bad compression, and something you certainly wouldn't want in the music... This is one of the main advantages of vinyl, or any analogue format, in that the headroom is beyond 0dB, avoiding clipping (and providing the most natural sound possible).

What you want to increase punchiness is an expander, and this is different from a stereo expander (or widener).

Well I hope I cleared that up :)

Back
Top Bottom