I've never heard FM act as crazy as it is today

One said it was from MN, one from Rochester (NY maybe?), and one from SD.o_O
There is also a Rochester, Minnesota, so maybe that is where it came from (as it would be closer to the others you discovered).

It's a shame I was born in '84 as I missed most of the good times, movies, music, and cars. My teens into my twenties sucked for the most part. Nearly all the vehicles I had access to were late '70s through early '90s junk. Muscle cars and cool trucks were already expensive to own or build. The internet was still dial up and slow as crap. Music and most movies sucked by then, too.

The party has been going on for eons, you just got here a bit late. It WAS better before. To say how dial-up was awful and movies and music sucked does not speak well for your youth. That's even more of a shame. At least I can say that GTO's were fun and the Allman Bros rocked. I grew up in a good time but learned from my elders, that I might have got here a bit late too. Most kids I see now will only have memories of their first cell phone and little else because that's all they have. Oh, it's out there but few pay attention.

The party has been going on for eons, you just got here a bit late. It WAS better before. To say how dial-up was awful and movies and music sucked does not speak well for your youth. That's even more of a shame. At least I can say that GTO's were fun and the Allman Bros rocked. I grew up in a good time but learned from my elders, that I might have got here a bit late too. Most kids I see now will only have memories of their first cell phone and little else because that's all they have. Oh, it's out there but few pay attention.
I know I was born too late, but I guess I had it a little better than the newest generation. A lot of kids today are glued to their parent's phone or tablet by the time they can walk. My brother's girlfriend's kids wouldn't even go outside.:crazy: Not that I didn't spend time inside watching TV or playing with electronic stuff, but at least I went outside and tore shit up, rode bikes and 4 wheelers, worked on cars, etc.

Yup, I was born in 64. Good times for sure in the 60's, 70's, 80's. Funny thread, good read!

A lot of kids today are glued to their parent's phone or tablet by the time they can walk. My brother's girlfriend's kids wouldn't even go outside.:crazy:
Pretty sad, isn't it? There are now toddlers who throw tantrums in restaurants if they do not have their tablet in front of them with a movie playing. WTF?? I took my kids to restaurants and never would think of doing that. If they are that ill behaved, keep 'em home or get a sitter. And by sitter, not an electronic device. I blame the parents for even allowing it in the first place. We grew up perfectly fine without all that crap in our lives. :)

Yeah, I was born in the 60s, and while I did have indoor pursuits, I lived for the outdoors. My buddy and I were the only ones who rode our bikes in the dead of winter...because we could. Snow forts and epic snowball fights, ice skating, and shoveling snow for the neighbors so we could make some money. Summers were heavy with riding bikes, chasing girls, riding the go-kart (illegally ;) ), running through sprinklers, and just getting into genuine "kid stuff" that included imagination and physical activity.

I live in a house that my parents bought in '53. A large wooded area quite near by. Miles of stuff to explore and a river to swim in. Most nights I didn't get home till after dark. Only three channels of TV. My neighbors two boys only come outside if their parents are grilling. Their loss.... the forest is still there.
Born in '44, I've seen a bit of how life changes. I think the forest misses young boys.
So I'm an old man but I wouldn't want to be a kid now. What they want isn't worth having and what they could have, they don't care about.

I started becoming aware of my surroundings in the early 1950s. Tho I've been comfortable in my own times and considered myself a person of my time, I have been fascinated by earlier periods and things of them, particularly the 1920s. The muscle cars of my youth interested me not much, as being both unaffordable and having no esthetic points of interest for me at the time.

Most folks are people of their times, and our concern for many things we may want to leave them of legacy may not be of use or interest to them. I enjoy what I can and have while I am able, the following generations will find their own way and interests as long as we don't leave them (our) garbage (in any form) they cannot manage as our legacy.

Last edited:
. . . So I'm an old man but I wouldn't want to be a kid now. What they want isn't worth having and what they could have, they don't care about.

Hmm. You sure seem to know a lot about today's kids and what's in their heads.

From the mid 1950 to 1980 the sun spot activity was very high and DX onTV and FM was easy. I lived on the east coast and the Mid West TV came in like locals. I got into it in a big way and got a TV set up like those used in Europe so I could DX Europe. I had a large rhombic antenna aimed at Europe and did get station from England ,Spain,Germany. I had a friend get Hawaii. I tried for years but never got it. Back in those days the band would open about 2 pm and stay hot until sunset. Sometimes it would go on for a week and I would watch channel 2 KVOO Tulsa like a local.
Ed

Also depends on one's location. One tropo forecast map...
Doesn't always work for me, but my antennas are below the tree line.

That tropo map is just an estimation.

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us is based on real world data...though it's for 144.390mhz and sometimes it gives false information since some digipeter misrepresent themselves and some guys transmit incorrect location just to throw it off.

Back
Top Bottom