James Bond 007 You Only Live Twice..The best one?

Telly savalas was the one on the slopes. A particularly active Blofeld.

And yes, only the parts where he was playing Sir Hillary Bray, Baronet, we're overdubbed.

"I feel a slight stiffness coming on. In the shoulder."

One of my fav Bond lines. Yes, I have watched OHMSS too many times. :)

Telly Savalas was fantastic in OHMSS......... Yes I could have been a little more specific, but thats right....Sir Hillary Bray Baronet, the name escaped me as I was accessing my memory banks.....I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Actor who played Sir Hillary was Georges voice coach.....could be wrong......

Theres also that great scene with the stock cars on the ice track........

Also Dianna Rig.....mmmmmmmmmmm she was one very beautiful lady!!

My favorite line in the film is from Draco, "but todays the 13th Mr Bond".

Because of this discussion, I actually went and rented You Only Live Twice. A good Bond, but not a great one.

For a favorite Bond film I'd pick On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's screenplay seemed the closest to all the books from which titles were selected, and I developed a special fondness for it's soundtrack record.

OHMSS, book and film, left some intriguing loose ends for Bond, the biggest for me being a highly trusted British Intelligence agent remaining the son-in-law of a prominent and one would suspect grief stricken European crime lord. For any that are interested, in 2001 author Raymond Benson released a James Bond novel NEVER DREAM OF DYING which neatly addresses these lingering issues.

Last edited:
For a favorite Bond film I'd pick On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's screenplay seemed the closest to all the books from which titles were selected, and I developed a special fondness for it's soundtrack record.

OHMSS, book and film, left some intriguing loose ends for Bond, the biggest for me being a highly trusted British Intelligence agent remaining the son-in-law of a prominent and one would suspect grief stricken European crime lord. For any that are interested, in 2001 author Raymond Benson released a James Bond novel NEVER DREAM OF DYING which neatly addresses these lingering issues.

OHMSS has a classic John Barry soundtrack that is as good or better than any of the "real" bond movies. The early analog keyboard tracks are outstanding. Diana Rigg is a worthy bond girl but the stiff who plays the OHMSS Bond is terrible.

For Sean Connery yes "YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE" is the best he ever did!!!

For Roger Moore I would say "Octopussy" was his best.....

Those 2 are my favourite bonds........

I like all the Connery Bond movies, but Goldfinger must have hit me just right. When it came out I was 13 and I thought Connery was the coolest guy to ever hit the big screen. I loved the theme music, the character actors and the shoot-out at the Fort Knox.

my favourite roger moore bond would have to be live & let die, just a fun movie to watch, great opening track by paul mcartney

I tend toward the more serious of the 007 series, and not the overall humorous ones. Just my preference.

Bond to my way of thinking started out on the more sombre/dark side, with some subtle levity, but certain actors tended to bring it to a Benny Hill-type of effort. But, each to their own, as we all tend to have different tastes.

As the series progressed through time, more special effects were added, in the development of the different plots. There again, some of the purists of the Bond movies preferred the earlier ones over the last few.

Difficult to sort out the very best of this series. Some had better plots. Some of the actors portrayed James better than others. Some were more time period placed. Some had more striking female parts (pun not intended...well, maybe to an extent).:biggrin:

"Dr. No" stands out for me...I was in a more the impressionable age at the time. Ursula's water scene wherein she came out of the ocean, meeting Bond for the first time stayed with me for many a year!

Q

"You Only Live Twice", the best Austin Powers movie, bar none! Or at least Austin Powers wouldn't exist without it. But, "You Only Live Twice" is my favorite Bond movie. Connery my favorite Bond. But, Craig is a close second. And I agree with several others, Eva Green is a beautiful Bond Girl (girl, she's all woman). Though, Shirley Eaton, covered in gold, is a close 2nd...! :)

Last edited:
Oh, for fans of the "You Only Live Twice" score, you have to watch Pixar's "The Incredibles". Once Mr. Incredible infiltrates Syndrome's island, it's all Bond music. A very sweet homage to Barry.

I like all the Connery Bond movies, but Goldfinger must have hit me just right. When it came out I was 13 and I thought Connery was the coolest guy to ever hit the big screen. I loved the theme music, the character actors and the shoot-out at the Fort Knox.

That remains perhaps the most epic quote ever w/ Gert Frobe's delivery, bemused, incredulous & pragmatic, impeccable.

Goldfinger might just be it with Frobe's performance, Odd Job, Connery @ peak Bond, and a very fun plot.

(If I was using best Bond Girl as the sole criteria, Goldfinger would win running away w/ Honor Blackman.)

740full-honor-blackman.jpg

Oh, for fans of the "You Only Live Twice" score, you have to watch Pixar's "The Incredibles". Once Mr. Incredible infiltrates Syndrome's island, it's all Bond music. A very sweet homage to Barry.
Never noticed that before. Will have to listen next time.

That remains perhaps the most epic quote ever w/ Gert Frobe's delivery, bemused, incredulous & pragmatic, impeccable.

Goldfinger might just be it with Frobe's performance, Odd Job, Connery @ peak Bond, and a very fun plot.

(If I was using best Bond Girl as the sole criteria, Goldfinger would win running away w/ Honor Blackman.)

740full-honor-blackman.jpg
And you, of course, remember her 'unique" name in the movie, don`t you.
Bond`s expression when she told him was priceless..

I have all the Bond movies on BR, and I like them all..
Yes, some are seemingly better than others, but they all have their place in time, for the franchise, and boy I`m glad I`m not that picky and a armchair critic.
Enjoy folks.

Kind regards, OKB

Back
Top Bottom