Japanese Gold

Thatch_Ear

Addicted Member
Calrad that is.

Here is a pick of a 6BM8 PP integrated mono and a 8" big eyeball wizzer full range 8" alnico. Nice styling even if the pic is a bit blurred.

Yes indeed it is. I have a pair and they are nice little amps. I even bought a couple of junkers for parts but I think really just new PS caps and new signal path wire will do it. Can't say I really care that much for the tubes but that isn't a problem.
Good build, nice parts, quality pots, these are very nice vintage PP mono integrated amps.

Thatch, you think you can find one extra? I have one here but can't use it because of its mono status. I'd like to have a pair to try how they sound.

i also have a single of the calrad amp.if you want to broaden your search for a mate for it look for it labeled as armaco.same amp different name.by the way i offered it to gordonw but if he doesnt want it im sure i could be persuded to part with it.well see what happens as i promised it to him first.
chris

They come up on Ebay and most are in California since Calrad stands for California Radio. Most of it was sold there. It isn't very expensive and is probably from the same factory as the Realistic and Kenwood tube gear. I have seen many simularities. I have just a pair myself and don't want to break it up.

Thatch,

How do they sound? I like to know your opinions before I try to get another.

Chris,

Shipping from Canada will kill me. I'll try to get one here in CA.

Thanks,

Last edited:
hotgas,
no problem as itll probally be going to gordonw for his friend.i just have to get a shipping qoute to him.
thatch, so how did you make out yesterday?
chris

prof calrad 15's

hot gas i know you only need the one calrad but heres a link for a pr of them on ebay.they shouldnt be too expensive and then yud have a spare.calrad 15's
chris

Nice sounding for a low wattage PP they sound on parr with most US stuff that was PP 6BQ5 except those with exceptional OPTs.
No pics of the face plates on that auction, I bet the pot stems are broken off and they are in very bad shape.

I hate it when the seller only shows the rear. I agree with you Thatch. Something fishy going on with the front. I will try to snipe them.

Well at least the one shown popped open has been recapped to a certain extent. They look fine. You can never know the condition of the pots, but they used good ones. precision wire wound resisters for low ohm apps. I took out the stereo feature and hard wired the little jumper thing going on. One of mine has developed a hum in a filter cap that I need to change.
Closest in sound, major US company that built tube amps would have been the 7189 PPs made by HH Scott, if you want a sound comparision.
Calrad, Monarch and Coral all came from the same factories I think. Calrad was always good. Monarch was not always as good as Carad.
6BM8 is a fine tube, I have found the RCAs to be very good, Slovak tubes labelled Westinghouse are good. Mazda is supposed to be good. Might be predudice but the old Japanese tubes have never been my favorites in the 6BM8 and I usually change them.

Back
Top Bottom