Jaw Dropping

Once you have heard a good line array you'll never go back. The clarity of the clean signal with very low distortion, is like nothing you have ever heard before. Like wise a bad line array will send you screaming to the hills for cover. I was very impressed when I heard XRT 22 for the first time, and even more so with the XR 290. XRT 28's will do in a small room. But the new 1K and 2K and I just don't get along. I much prefer Roger's choice of components. Can you imagine all those tweeters and mids of the XRT1K and only two 8" bass cones. I know they are ported to pick up a few Db of efficiency, but how do two 8" cones keep up at 30 HZ. They can handle more Power than a ML 1 but they can't move any more air. I would think there should be at least bass 6 drivers. And they certainly don't equal a XRT 19 bass section. There were a few customers that had stacked ML-4 and though they didn't have the Low distortion bass drivers the bass and mids were pretty outstanding, even though they couldn't keep up with the XRT tweeter arrays. The Stacked 4's could really blow a set of Patricians away even with their 30" woofers and Klipschorn speakers just weren't in the same league with the XRT 22. You have great sound there enjoy it.

Thanks Twiii your posts helped lead me down the line array path.

I was doing driver radiation surface area comparison to see where my array configuration bested or compared to XR290 or XRT2K.

The mids is where they both best the surface area on my four 8 inch mids. however I don't sense a deficient presentation . It is interesting that mid and high radiating surface areas are close between XRT2K and XR290. My config bests on high surface radiation area. I am assuming the Room Perfect is evens out my frequency response curve and the XRT2K is a hotter sound though.
I heard a choir song that literally amazed me with realism of singer placement spatial soundstage of both depth and breadth and realistic organ at church backwall and a long arced choir, not to mention high ceiling expansiveness. I am almost scared to play with any more adjustments not wanting to affect nirvana.

If I ever upgrade it will be line array.

Yes l used to help out in the speaker department when we were building the 290's. Carl voices speakers A bit bass shy.Only my opinion. Carl is retiring after about 40 years at Mac. He is really an awesome guy. Gonna miss talking to him. We will have to wait and see what direction we take with our next line of speakers??? Happy Holidays Gang...

Nothing so spectacular, but I had my own recent jaw dropper here when I got done putting my XR16's back together after getting the drivers and networks restored ... amazing what you get used to over the years. Good to have those singing like new once again.

BTW ... any plans to update your avatar?

michiganlogo.jpg~c200

BIFF!!
(owwwwww)

Thanx ... I needed that. <G>

That yellow and blue is a mess!! Go Spartans...

Yes l used to help out in the speaker department when we were building the 290's. Carl voices speakers A bit bass shy.Only my opinion. Carl is retiring after about 40 years at Mac. He is really an awesome guy. Gonna miss talking to him. We will have to wait and see what direction we take with our next line of speakers??? Happy Holidays Gang...

A dream job most would aspire too. Did you ever get to work with Roger Russell? Do you prefer XR290 or XRT2K?

Heard those XRT2K when I did the tour in October. Saying they were unbelievably impressive would be an understatement.

Hi Velocityboat , finaly I got my MC2500 back from the second tech , the first tech keep it for 10 months . I'll hook them up this week . What is your suggestion : MONO BRIDGE or MONO PARALLEL . I place my line array between the woofers but your is opposite . Should I put the line array to outside ?
Paulvo

Hi Velocityboat , finaly I got my MC2500 back from the second tech , the first tech keep it for 10 months . I'll hook them up this week . What is your suggestion : MONO BRIDGE or MONO PARALLEL . I place my line array between the woofers but your is opposite . Should I put the line array to outside ?
Paulvo

Hi Paulvo,
I have been wondering what is up. Excellent to hear you are getting the MC2500 into the mix. I spent some time playing mono bridge vs Mono parallel and I prefer the mono bridge. Reason I think it gives a wider more airy soudstage and essentially places the left and right amps in a balanced configuration which means quieter. Not Quad balanced like MC452, but an improvement you can hear.

If you feel you want or need stronger bass go with mono parallel. Since your XRT26 is a 4 ohm you can do either. With 4 12s each side it really shook my home in mono parallel. I felt the bridge to be cleaner and closer to live unamplified bass performance. Since you have low distortion woofers you may have a a better experience with mono parallel than I did. Use the correct ohm taps and instructions in the MC2500 manual. Mono parallel will take more wires. So mono bridge it is 2 Ohm taps, for mono parallel use 8 Ohm taps. Also ensure switch is in correct position after reconnect

Next for column placement of line array. It is probably a preference listening area thing. I have read Roger's site where he said to use them inside bass cabinets on the XRT20 and XRT22 but on his design notes for XR290 he placed the tweeter array outboard for better arrival times aligned with the bass. I have had better sweet spot experience tweeter outside with improved imaging and placement of singers and instruments. I can surmise Roger learned more each design and he held nothing back on the XR290. But also note the tweeter array and bass array on XR290 angles in some by cabinet design. That was key for me angling slightly and ensuring bass cabinets are as close as possible to rear wall with Room Perfect. I would try outside and a bit of tow in given your metal dome tweeters, especially if near outside sidewalls, it will stop some sidewall reflections.

What size, shape and room configuration are you dealing with? The placement at room thirds is a good rule. The equalateral trianglea s not as important with line arrays and you can sit farther back and enjoy the music or not really worry about ehere you sit as much.

Remember to redo roomperfect room measuring for any change in amp configuration or speaker placement. It will cure any room frequency modes based on system changes. I used Ron C's tip keeping microphone at least two feet from any wall, corner ,or ceiling. That too keeps the bass alive.

Have fun and talk to us about the experience!

Once you have heard a good line array you'll never go back. The clarity of the clean signal with very low distortion, is like nothing you have ever heard before. Like wise a bad line array will send you screaming to the hills for cover. I was very impressed when I heard XRT 22 for the first time, and even more so with the XR 290. XRT 28's will do in a small room. But the new 1K and 2K and I just don't get along. I much prefer Roger's choice of components. Can you imagine all those tweeters and mids of the XRT1K and only two 8" bass cones. I know they are ported to pick up a few Db of efficiency, but how do two 8" cones keep up at 30 HZ. They can handle more Power than a ML 1 but they can't move any more air. I would think there should be at least bass 6 drivers. And they certainly don't equal a XRT 19 bass section. There were a few customers that had stacked ML-4 and though they didn't have the Low distortion bass drivers the bass and mids were pretty outstanding, even though they couldn't keep up with the XRT tweeter arrays. The Stacked 4's could really blow a set of Patricians away even with their 30" woofers and Klipschorn speakers just weren't in the same league with the XRT 22. You have great sound there enjoy it.

Hi, just wanted to update your post. I have the XRT1K speakers and they each have (2) 10 inch woofers, with the stated frequency response of 16hz to 45khz..... The bass it pretty good....

That's a beautiful rig you have going there Velocityboat.
View attachment 861118 View attachment 861120
:D
Thanks Dave. It is pretty vintage except for the Lyngdorf doing room correction and pre duties. Just a combination of great engineered vintage McIntosh equipment scavanged from craigslist and auction sites now being fed modern digital signals. It can still amaze with the analog if I just were not so lazy to spin vinyl and had more room to store more than several hundred albums.

The research capability opinions, experience, and the people knowledge on this site is a gold mine filled with gold dust, occasional nuggets and some true diamonds; if you care to dig.

It has helped me assemble something that sounds great and is unique. The best part of the rig is the size of the equipment disappears when the music starts and you take a time machine ride to the studio or the music venue.

Paulvo

Paulvo,

did you get your system dialed in with both MC2500s? Can you tell us whether things changed for the better and if you bridged or went parallel mono?

Back
Top Bottom