Jaymanaa: Stories and Sayings

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
By now you are probably aware of the passing of one of AK's best, Jaymanaa, tube guru of Gardner, Kansas. He was one of the most prolific posters at AK, hosted many gatherings at his place by Gardner Lake, and bought, sold, built and restored many pieces of tube gear for AKers.

Jay had a good sense of humor (and a little bent too!) and had the wisdom of a guy who had seen some $h!t. Jay would want us to keep those memories so let's do it.

This thread is dedicated to the stories, the jokes, the quotes that stuck with us.

The Chicken Suit

There was a running joke back when Jay was hosting the Twangfests, about a mythical chicken suit costume. Anyone who came to those gatherings and participated in the threads leading up to the event and the posting of pics and thank-yous afterwards will remember the chicken suit. I don't even remember when or how it started, but before Twangfest we'd start asking around in the thread who had the chicken suit from last time and did it get washed? Afterwards we'd vaguely allude to the party being a wild and crazy epic Bacchanalian bash (which they never were). The story went that the craziest insane person attending the event had put on the chicken suit, and it always had to be dry cleaned or even undergo a complete restoration after the festivities.

Here are a few chicken suit quotes from the Twangfests.

Jay: Hey, I'm getting some hazy memories about the chicken suit. Did it end up in the bonfire, I can't seem to find it. :idea:

Tox: Did I have fun? Oh wait, of course I did!

Jay: Sure you did, just try to block the chicken suit out. It took me about three years, but hey, I'm a slow healer. :smoke:

Russellc: Its the strangest thing, I just woke up in bed wearing a chicken costume!

Jay: Yeh, but it was my costume and you had what I hope was brownie icing all over it. I'll end up just throwing it out and getting a new chicken suit.

Jay: Hey, someone said something about Friday night, and I'll be here if anyone wants to stop by. I might put your asses to work though, anyone good with a rake and shovel? :biggrin:

Elusive: We gonna bury the chicken suit?

Jay: I burned it, then buried the ashes under the new septic tank I had to put in after Doucanoe took a crap here 2 years ago. He's definitely a manly man.

Jay: The chicken suit is no more, I couldn't get the "stains" out of it after the last fest! :biggrin:

Twangfest was a great thing for a lot of people who met each other for the first time in real life, listened to gear they never would have seen or heard anywhere else, swapped ideas, parts and equipment, and had some great barbeque to top it all off. I am way farther ahead in this hobby than I would have been without Jay's Twangfests. :thumbsup:

PS I was trying to figure out a way to sneak in and dress him in the chicken suit for his journey into eternity, but I couldn't seem to lay my hands on it. :cool:

Brentj4 posted in the Feedback forum back in May:

“I purchased a set of RCA NOS tubes from jaymanaa a few days ago and I received them today. To my surprise he included a 2nd set of backup tubes of various brands. Shipped fast and very well packed as well. Much appreciated Jay. Many thanks!”

Jay’s response:

“I like to send extras if I have them laying around. Never seen a tombstone with a tube socket on it. Hey.................:)

So many people have posted that he did stuff like that, extra tubes, free tubes, whatever. I was at Twangfest once and the basement shop was full of people, and Jay always had tools and tubes laying about. There was a nice blue Arcturus balloon tube, a 26 or 27 and I was ogling it because I collect radios and have one that I wanted to fill with all blue ones. He’s rummaging around with someone else and hollers across the room, “Tox, do you want that tube?” And I’m thinking yeah but it’s probably kind of expensive. I never did bug him later and see what he wanted for it. The more I think about it, he was probably just going to give it to me.

Kurtgo and I were considering sneaking into the cemetery and affixing a socket. We could always claim it was his idea. :dunno:

I’ll tell you a hilarious story about Jay that hardly anyone has ever heard.

First, there was the pimple on the head thread.

Mar 19 2012 http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/death-by-pimple.431813/

In which a hairless Jaymanaa gets a painful zit on the top of his head and posts in great detail about its progress and his resulting discomfort. Other posters link YouTube videos of zit popping and cyst draining. At some point in the multi page thread Jay proposes to have his wife extract it with one of those spring-loaded solder suckers.

The thread seemed very legit to begin with, but it had drifted into the ridiculous! Knowing Suzie, I just could not see this happening.

In the coming weeks, there were other threads. I seem to remember one about pickled hot dogs, and maybe there was something about belly button lint, but I may be wrong. I did find this one:

Apr 8 2012

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/hard-boiled-egg-farts.436090/

I began to see a pattern. But why? (And why did I read them? Oh God, why.)

Just prior to that, Jay had gotten crossways with one or more AK mods over some kind of post content and was away from AK for a bit (aka a ‘vacation’). I thought it was only a few days but Kurtgo said the other day that he thought it was quite awhile. In any case, I know Jay felt a bit persecuted, and he was particularly cheesed because the person getting on his case had posted some arguably political statements of their own and Jay thought there was a double standard at work. I don’t remember the details and it’s not that important to the story anyway.

After the above threads appeared, and were so over the top, even for Jay, something dawned on me. An idea. A perfectly evil, awful idea. An idea that was so funny it just had to be true. I thought I’d check it out with someone who knew Jay pretty well, EchoWars.

April 12, 2012

To: EchoWars

Re: I Got a Theory

I got a theory. Let's say a guy got a bit cheesed at some mods, maybe even several months back. Suppose he got crossways with one in a couple of threads and felt like he was held to a higher standard of posting than the mods. Hard to obtain any revenge though, unless he could think up a way to be a nuisance, but a totally legal nuisance.

Then one day he gets a pimple on his head, and a light bulb goes off. He could post about a new disgusting thing every few days. It might start out as something real, but with careful embellishment, even the bizarre becomes believable. Hardly have to say anything, but the thread is irresistible, and becomes 'grossly' popular. Dr. Evil sits back in a cloud of cigar smoke and egg farts, chuckling as AK gazes at its own butt crack, actually believing his wife extracted a large cyst from his skull with a solder sucker.

It would be the perfect crime. Theoretically.

:lmao:

Tox

It seemed that Glenn found some merit in the theory.

Apr 12, 2012

To: Tox

Re: I Got A Theory

Lol!

It's classic Jay. All the way.

EW

I was now laughing uncontrollably. It had to be true.

It was time to show my evidence to the perp.

April 13, 2012

To: Jaymanaa

Re: I have Uncovered Your Plot

Cheesed at the admins, he hatches a diabolical scheme to 'legally' gross everyone out with pus and fart threads, dragging AK discussion into the gutter at every opportunity. The irresistable nature of such topics requires only the bare minimum of actual involvement by the perpetrator, and the thread then takes on a life of its own. Dr. Evil reclines (in a cloud of cigar smoke and egg farts) and smiles wickedly at the ensuing mayhem.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Kudos to the Master! :ntwrthy:

Tox

The reply was priceless, a thing I will cherish forever.

April 13, 2012

To: Tox

Next up............jock itch. I'm debating photo attachments.:yes: You're a smart guy Chris.:thmbsp:

Jay

This will live on in my memory as one of the funniest things I ever witnessed on AK. I never posted about it until now, and the fact that hardly anyone knew about it only added to the fun.

Kurtgo and I were considering sneaking into the cemetery and affixing a socket. We could always claim it was his idea.

Yep I was thinking someone should, if he's outside in a plot. But it has to light up, solar power baby. Like those walkway lights have that little solar panel in them...

Not that I'm trying to fill your head with any ideas or anything:rolleyes:

I haven't been on AK for a while and it is upsetting to read that Jay passed away. I was fortunate to attend 1 twangfest and it was a great memorable time. RIP Jay!

Yep I was thinking someone should, if he's outside in a plot. But it has to light up, solar power baby. Like those walkway lights have that little solar panel in them...

Not that I'm trying to fill your head with any ideas or anything:rolleyes:

Hmmm. :smoke:

In a related thread, someone asked about cause of death, I responded that according to the stories, it wasn't from embarrassment.
I never met or corresponded with him, but was aware of his active participation here. It's easy to take the presence and access to folks for granted, until it ends one way or another and that contact, resource, aquaintance, friend is no longer there.
It is inevitable, but still a difficult transition for the family, friends, and colleagues of the absent.
My sympathetic condolences to those who lost a part of their lives but cherish the memories.

Looking for another thread, I came across one by Jay titled "Leroy's Ball Washing." Scary title since Leroy is a big ol dog. But the pic changes everything.

index.php

It was only tennis balls.

One thing (of many) that I really liked about Jay is that he made you feel sincerely welcome in his home.

Not just the "glad you're here" kind of welcome but more of the "you were childhood best buddies that haven't seen each other in decades" kind of welcome.

Even if he just saw you the day before...

One thing (of many) that I really liked about Jay is that he made you feel sincerely welcome in his home.

Not just the "glad you're here" kind of welcome but more of the "you were childhood best buddies that haven't seen each other in decades" kind of welcome.

Even if he just saw you the day before...
Wow....

The Chicken Suit

There was a running joke back when Jay was hosting the Twangfests, about a mythical chicken suit costume. Anyone who came to those gatherings and participated in the threads leading up to the event and the posting of pics and thank-yous afterwards will remember the chicken suit. I don't even remember when or how it started, but before Twangfest we'd start asking around in the thread who had the chicken suit from last time and did it get washed? Afterwards we'd vaguely allude to the party being a wild and crazy epic Bacchanalian bash (which they never were). The story went that the craziest insane person attending the event had put on the chicken suit, and it always had to be dry cleaned or even undergo a complete restoration after the festivities.

Here are a few chicken suit quotes from the Twangfests.

Jay: I burned it, then buried the ashes under the new septic tank I had to put in after Doucanoe took a crap here 2 years ago. He's definitely a manly man.

:cool:

Just one of my super powers

I love reading all your stories. Thank you for sharing and loving him. I will tell you a couple of things; first, if anyone affixes a tube socket to his headstone, I will genuinely be upset. It might give pipefitters the idea to affix copper tubing or the animal rescue groups to attach whatever they might attach. Please do not do that! Second, I will attempt over the next few days to post some really fun photos and stories that you might not know about him. This man was my soulmate and while we didn't always agree, (married for 24 years I don't know any couple that always agrees), and once your souls find each other they cannot ever be parted. This was a part of his life that he wished I had some interest in. I just wanted to listen to the music! I didn't want to know how anything worked -- that removed the magic for me. He loved sharing his knowledge. And he had a heart as big as the grand canyon. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom