Jazz Fusion Playlist

Audio Caviar - Transoceanic

upload_2017-1-24_16-56-29.png
Completely overlooked gem with outstanding work on the drum kit. Think of this as an Earth, Wind & Fire-inflected fusion album. It's well recorded and outstandingly executed.

Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

On first listen in '75 mind blown . . .

Return to Forever ~ No Mystery

Polydor, 1975

Chick%20Corea%20RTF%20No%20Mystery.jpg

Chick%20Corea%20RTF%20No%20Mystery%202.jpg

This New album releases in May 2017. All new songs.

Reformation of Larry Coryell's Eleventh House, and yes, the recording is featuring Alphonse Mouzon before his passing.

I know for sure LM that if only we could sit one evening and listen to music while we're here still together on earth . . . that we would have a real incredible time. That would give me great joy.

Cheers CB ! You are a fine friend, good buddy, and brother in fusion ! Feelin' the comradery ! Best taste in music ever !

Hey, we're even keepin' our reels spinnin' too...just something about both the great sound and ritual of a reel to reel (how about the thundering bass !!!) & rotating turntable with tonearm movement across the record. Analog offers both a visual & tactile component, in addition to the sound, that is unseen & not hands-on in digital. Always tell audio enthusiasts if they haven't heard music finely recorded played back on a great reel machine, it has to be on their bucket list, or they're missing out on so much ! It's great just to see their eyes light up & jaw drop as you can lip-read "wow" beneath the music.

Sunday nite Feb 12th will tune-in on tv to the Grammy award show, most especially the last 1/2 hour. The list this time at the end of the show will be the longest ever for ones we lost in the last year. Sombering when we realize most pure-jazz legends have left the building, just due to age. And, the list always includes producers, engineers, technicians, composers & writers which I think really deserve mention.

Yes, CB, you're right it would be a sensational listening session with musical meeting of the spirits united !
:beerchug:

Bob James and David Sanborn - Double Vision

upload_2017-1-29_11-54-45.png

Bob James - Obsession

upload_2017-2-3_10-14-24.png

As a fusion thread, relation to prog is close, so...

Have to now play King Crimson - Red album and Starless & Bible Black album to commerate the great talent of bassist, vocalist, guitarist & keysman John Wetton, leaving us at an early 67 y.o, one of the most immense prog icons for the weekend's playlist in tribute, as he would want us to remember him by.

This fellows' contribution to the progession of music is enormous, seeing him live many times in many bands.

Other than In the Court of the Crimson King lp, Wetton played on 4 of the greatest of KC lp's - Red, Starless & Bible Black, USA (live) and Lark's Tongue in Aspic. (I also greatly liked Discipline & The Beat without him, and other albums also). His interplay musically with Bill Bruford is legendary, BB left Yes for this liason.

If any folks are unfamiliar, he had an immense discography, some of the best were -

UK - 1st s/t (w/Bruford, Holdsworth, Jobson) and Danger Money (w/Bozzio, Jobson), Live Night After Night & 3 other live albums.

Eddie Jobson's Ultimate Zero Project - Best of U.Z. Project Live (w/Minnemann, Phillips, Jobson, Levin).

And, the 1st two Asia (w/Howe, Palmer) albums. He started early on with some other bands such as 1 Renaissance album and 2 Family albums - the reason why I bought those 2 Family lp's when released way back when was just for Wetton.

So, for fusion afficiandos, thinking the ones fusioneers may like are 7 of these listed above, especially the three named UK albums, UZ Project album, King Crimson - Red, USA and Starless & Bible Black albums.

Some might say legends are passing now readily due to age, however, we cannot ignore their musical contributions, nor the others gone early with untimely younger passing.

But, trying to keeping things upbeat & looking for the warmth of their light, they would want us to continue playing their music, and remember them in this way of the music, so let's all do that for these fine talents !

Here's a quick list of pro musicians we've lost in the last 14 months, may have missed someone; if so, post onto list. List in no particular order. Think maybe missed some rock vocalists, but Mouzon is mainly the fusion one here on list.

Alphonse Mouzon, John Wetton, Greg Lake, Keith Emerson, Prince, David Bowie, Leon Russell, Mose Allison, Nick Menza, Leonard Cohen, Rod Temperton, Frank Sinatra Jr, Vanity, Maurice White, Paul Kantner, Glenn Frey, and Dale Griffin. Not to forget Chris Squire just before these.

Anyway, SuperBowl is in about 24 hours, so we can shift to the game celebration instead and hope for some better months ahead !

As a fusion thread, relation to prog is close, so...

Have to now play King Crimson - Red album and Starless & Bible Black album to commerate the great talent of bassist, vocalist, guitarist & keysman John Wetton, leaving us at an early 67 y.o, one of the most immense prog icons for the weekend's playlist in tribute, as he would want us to remember him by.

This fellows' contribution to the progession of music is enormous, seeing him live many times in many bands.

Other than In the Court of the Crimson King lp, Wetton played on 4 of the greatest of KC lp's - Red, Starless & Bible Black, USA (live) and Lark's Tongue in Aspic. (I also greatly liked Discipline & The Beat without him, and other albums also). His interplay musically with Bill Bruford is legendary, BB left Yes for this liason.

If any folks are unfamiliar, he had an immense discography, some of the best were -

UK - 1st s/t (w/Bruford, Holdsworth, Jobson) and Danger Money (w/Bozzio, Jobson), Live Night After Night & 3 other live albums.

Eddie Jobson's Ultimate Zero Project - Best of U.Z. Project Live (w/Minnemann, Phillips, Jobson, Levin).

And, the 1st two Asia (w/Howe, Palmer) albums. He started early on with some other bands such as 1 Renaissance album and 2 Family albums - the reason why I bought those 2 Family lp's when released way back when was just for Wetton.

So, for fusion afficiandos, thinking the ones fusioneers may like are 7 of these listed above, especially the three named UK albums, UZ Project album, King Crimson - Red, USA and Starless & Bible Black albums.

Some might say legends are passing now readily due to age, however, we cannot ignore their musical contributions, nor the others gone early with untimely younger passing.

But, trying to keeping things upbeat & looking for the warmth of their light, they would want us to continue playing their music, and remember them in this way of the music, so let's all do that for these fine talents !

Great post LM!!!

My first official concert was King Crimson in '73 on the "Larks Tongues" tour at the "Kinetic Playground" Chicago. Had an incredible impact and caught the second leg of the tour later in the year at the "Auditorium". One can never be the same after those two concerts!! Also saw the "Starless & Bible Black" show in '74 (Trower was the back up group touring with the "Sighs" album) and had tickets for the "Red" tour in '75 and Fripp pulled the plug before hitting the U.S. I was very upset that they broke up and refunded my $6 tickets!! Gawd I wish I would have kept those!!!

I also saw U.K. in concert in '78 at the Uptown Theater, Chicago when they toured with the s/t album below. I just finished listening to . . . . Click >>> "Family's "Bandstand" album with John Wetton in tow!

Cheers Fusion Brotha! :beerchug:

U.K.

Eddie Jobson, John Wetton, Alan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford

Polydor/EG, 1978

20170204_164706.jpg

20170204_164728_001.jpg

Cheers CB !

The greatest repertoire of concerts attendance is definetely CB ! Those are some unbelievably great shows you saw. Yeah, those $6 tic prices were real back then too. And Trower's Bridge of Sighs lp is classic too, a great guitarist, super album. Got to see him live once around that time, maybe a year or two after that album; he played it all. Saw Wetton 2X with the UZ Project, two years in a row, Jobson's creation, one nite was with Minnemann together with Mangini, posted that here many pages back. Also caught Wetton with Asia, my last girlfriend was impressed with Howe & Palmer, telling her Palmer is among the world's finest skilled talents. He actually still seeks out personal lessons with other pros (mostly classical percussionists, but others too) anywhere in the world to further hone his talent (as if it's imaginable that he could be any better !). Also saw Wetton live many years earlier with the first UK band in Philly.

Talking about very first concerts & Chicago (city), CB, we must have our telepathy going...my very first concert was in 1969 when my older sister (classical pianist) and I saw Chicago (band). They just released the 1st lp, CTA, and sorta recall they even played a handful couple of tunes from the upcoming release Chicago (II) album. They played nearly 4 hours and it was mindblowing at 10 y.o. for me & sis enjoyed it a lot too. Terry Kath was on fire, as was Seraphine and all bandmembers. Billy Preston was the opener. He had the most enormous afro-doo ever & as he stepped (in platform shoes & bell-bottoms, remember those !?!) around the keys his hair moved more than any other part ! It was an outdoor concert in the summertime. Possibly the hardest working touring band playing the longest in the industry may be Chicago.

That very first UK album is intense on every playing !

Pretty cool thread linked about the vinyl album playing thread; just on that page alone & the next page are so many legendary albums.

Cheers, CB, good buddy ! Soon onto SuperBowl ... t minus 18 hours and counting until kick-off !
:beerchug:

Many might be surprised this is from Billy Preston.

Tune "Space Race", 1972, from album - Everybody Likes Some Kind Of Music.

Really dig all his Synth playing on the song, as well as the horn arrangement & songwriting.

He often had big heavyweight musicians on his albums, such as Jeff Beck, Tower of Power (best wishes right now for Garibaldi & bassist recovery from train incident), Toto, G Harrison, E Clapton, K Richards, Quincy & Ringo. Maybe most known for playing &/or recording with Beatles, then G Harrison, Clapton & Rolling Stones.

Actually bought this song on a "45" rpm vinyl in '72 or '73.

He had some early hits with - That's the Way God Planned It (saw that live in 1969), Will It Go Round in Circles, Nothing from Nothing, Outa-Space (super-funk) and You Are So Beautiful (w/Joe Cocker cowriting) & Space Race. In addition, inspiring Stephen Stills' writing by giving him the phrase "If You Can't Be With The One You Love, Love The One You're With" then Stills wrote that legendary song.

So, he deserves mention here for this tune, & work with Jeff Beck, Tower of Power and this very cool synth playing !

Many might be surprised this is from Billy Preston.

Tune "Space Race", 1972, from album - Everybody Likes Some Kind Of Music.

Really dig all his Synth playing on the song, as well as the horn arrangement & songwriting.

He often had big heavyweight musicians on his albums, such as Jeff Beck, Tower of Power (best wishes right now for Garibaldi & bassist recovery from train incident), Toto, G Harrison, E Clapton, K Richards, Quincy & Ringo. Maybe most known for playing &/or recording with Beatles, then G Harrison, Clapton & Rolling Stones.

Actually bought this song on a "45" rpm vinyl in '72 or '73.

He had some early hits with - That's the Way God Planned It (saw that live in 1969), Will It Go Round in Circles, Nothing from Nothing, Outa-Space (super-funk) and You Are So Beautiful (w/Joe Cocker cowriting) & Space Race. In addition, inspiring Stephen Stills' writing by giving him the phrase "If You Can't Be With The One You Love, Love The One You're With" then Stills wrote that legendary song.

So, he deserves mention here for this tune, & work with Jeff Beck, Tower of Power and this very cool synth playing !

Cool LM . . . . nothing like the sound of a Hohner Clavinet.

Great ear CB, and besides the very cool clavinet intro, there is also some underlying electric piano early on, then mostly synth, likely a minimoog or Arp 2600 ( ? Odessey maybe ? ) until near end when organ appears along with synth.

The album liner notes gives creds to 2 additional supporting keys players on the album, but not specific as to which particular keyboard or on which song. Guess we'll never know if 1 or 2 guys joined Preston on Space Race, or if Billy used R-hand & L-hand on different 'boards, or over-dubbed !

Thinking of his lead synth playing, it was right ontop of the scene emerging at the time. Space Race, recorded in '72, as these "modern-type" monophonic synth "sounds" were only heard 2 or 3 years earlier on records to this full extent of playing. The minimoog emerged in 1970, followed by 2600 Arp a year later, although some earlier "modern-type" synth sounds found their way on a few records, likely 1967 on to a lesser extent of playing. Historically significant as well as nimble fingers !

Great ear CB, and besides the very cool clavinet intro, there is also some underlying electric piano early on, then mostly synth, likely a minimoog or Arp 2600 ( ? Odessey maybe ? ) until near end when organ appears along with synth.

The album liner notes gives creds to 2 additional supporting keys players on the album, but not specific as to which particular keyboard or on which song. Guess we'll never know if 1 or 2 guys joined Preston on Space Race, or if Billy used R-hand & L-hand on different 'boards, or over-dubbed !

Thinking of his lead synth playing, it was right ontop of the scene emerging at the time. Space Race, recorded in '72, as these "modern-type" monophonic synth "sounds" were only heard 2 or 3 years earlier on records to this full extent of playing. The minimoog emerged in 1970, followed by 2600 Arp a year later, although some earlier "modern-type" synth sounds found their way on a few records, likely 1967 on to a lesser extent of playing. Historically significant as well as nimble fingers !

Love those old Arps. My old band mate in the 70's had a Arp Odyssey, Arp String Ensemble, Fender Rhodes 88 and a Hohner Clavinet. Sounded great the Roland Space Echo. He always wanted a 2600 like Joe Z.

Back
Top Bottom