Jazz Fusion Playlist

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

View attachment 979670

Just installed a new arm and cartridge (Dynavector DV XX2 MKII) on this Thorens TD 520 this week. Wanted to play this album first but out of respect I let the cartridge break in the recommended 30 hours. Wow. I now have slam. Mission accomplished.

I have never heard the half speed master, but my copy of this L.P. from the large 70's sounds great.

For CB and everyone here...a link below to a great work.

Sorry still can't get here for a long while, but know Bob would like this specific version and it is likely already on the top of his fave list.

Santana - Europa (Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile)...this one is the epic live version from the Moonflower album (6:08 time), written by Gato Barbieri.

Although not a fusion tune, Santana is a fusionist and guitar players can dig this, extolling the virtues of the instrument as does fusion. Wish all guitarists can hear this song version.

Pure emotion emanates from Carlos, one of his best performances & my fave version of this song. Many say tears flow when listening to this piece and also his subsequent live renderings of it ever since. Sometimes it's inspiring to hear a slow song of this caliber.

Pouring out such massive emotion at this level and letting the soul flow, is rarely found; seems Carlos hit a celestial pinnacle with this one. Another work approaching this same type feeling is the great Gerald Albright's sax on his 1990 studio version (from Dream Come True & The Very Best Of... albums) of "My, My, My" song (orig by Johnny Gill, written by Babyface & Daryl Simmons), but alas again not fusion, though Albright demonstrates super jazz chops live and often.

CB, with you in spirit my brother & thought of you hearing this tune.

...SKIP to time stamp 1 second, at start, to avoid heavy opening "click" on audio, then crank !

Now, back to fusion...
bumped an older post back up here (below) about Billy Cobham's Spectrum album to add an update.

When the album was recorded, 2 Spectrum album tracks were left off but are found on another cd, along with 13 "related" trax, for a total of 15 more songs.

CD is often labelled as "Tommy Bolin - Spectrum Session (Love Chld)" (Gypsy Eye 021/22 issue), or sometimes as Billy Cobham - "Spectrum Session". Gypsy Eye label release includes 2 bonus trax of James Gang live/out-take to total 15 trax, other boots may only have 13 trax.

This one is for hard-core fans, not feint of heart, audio is fair at best, with the 2 included BC Spectrum album out-takes better in quality. Can be found on discogs to buy if put on your want list, it appears 1 or 2 times per year. Also web downloads are around (at least 2 or 3 sites), but I haven't tried those.

Info link is found on site- guitars101.com site, page titled "Tommy Bolin & Billy Cobham - May 1973 - Spectrum Sessions".

Hope this link works (or google guitars101.com site)...

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/tommy-bolin-billy-cobham-may-1973-spectrum-sessions-131011.html

Lotsa info in the link, basically...recorded May 14-15-16, 1973 at Electric Lady Studios, NYC, NY during the recording of the Billy Cobham -
Spectrum album. Line-up = Tommy Bolin-gtr, Billy Cobham-drms, Jan Hammer-keys, Lee Sklar-bass, Jeremy Steig-flute.

The trax (# 12 and #13, times of 7:21 and 3:59 lengths) with Jeremy Steig are the 2 outakes trax left off BC's Spectrum album & the best trax for audio on this double-cd. For me, these are the best listening trax on this disc & titled "Unreleased Track #1 and Unreleased Track #2". The one that is 7:21 is actually "Sister Andrea", written by Jan Hammer, but in it's original form and different than the Mahavishnu Orchestra's live version on the BN&E album. It's said Hammer likes this original version, interpreted by Jeremy Steig the best. I like the MO version better, but both are historically great & different. This Sister Andrea version with Steig is what makes this Bolin cd best for me. Lots of interesting jamming is on all 2 discs, song lengths range from 3 to 19 minutes.

Some releases of this 2-cd set sound better than the GypsyEye release. Trax 14 & 15, are 1 live and 2nd track unreleased from the James Gang - Miami album. Many will recognize Bolin playing on trac #5 - "Don't Make Feel Good", with it's memorable catchy hook.

So, much of this album is hard to listen too, both for it's fair to poor audio quality (try & hope for a better pressing) & long jamming,...but, alas, for us hardcore Spectrum album fans, it might be a must-have. There are some very enjoyable moments, and notably at many points throughout some songs Cobham's funkiness moves from his own style to actually playing the characteristic & different funk style Tony Williams displayed while in later years with his short stint in the Jan Hammer Band, with utmost respect to both fusioneers styles. Really very interesting - BC here at times sounds much like Tony drumming on Tony's Twone (song with JH Group, 7/4/91 Montreal Jazz Fest). I guess when you name your album Spectrum, you can pay homage in jamming to he with that namesake (Tony Williams Lifetime songs titled Spectrum and another, Via the Spectrum Road). We know these works share that titling, but differ greatly in composition.

Hope hard-core Billy Cobham - Spectrum album fans find this diamond in the rough, or vice-versa rough album among the diamonds !

Newsflash...

Billy Cobham - Spectrum album..... is released 5 weeks now on SACD from AudioFidelity ! Got a copy on the way - limited number edition.

Lotsa fans of this album here on the thread. Exciting news this is now on SACD, eager to hear it.

For anyone interested, there are 9 basic releases issued of this album, not counting duplicates stamped with different countries on label. I have collected all 9, the SACD is the 9th type.

Here are the releases listed-
-Original lp
-Original cd
-Reel to Reel 7 & 1/2 ips 4 track 7" reel
-180 gram lp
-Remastered cd (Germany)
-Remastered cd with bonus trak "All 4 One" out-take (UK)
-Remastered 24 bit cd (Japan)
-DVD-A, dvd audio (remix) multichannel 5.1, *plays 4 ways*
-SACD - hybrid SACD - DSD multichannel 4.0, *plays 3 ways*

****the DVD-A version contains a remix and plays 4 ways :
-Advanced resolution stereo
-Advanced resolution 6 channel surround sound
-DVD-Video compatible Dolby digital
-DTS 5.1 surround sound

****the hybrid SACD -DSD plays 3 ways :
-Multichannel mix in SACD surround sound
-Original 2 channel stereo mix in SACD stereo
-Original 2 channel stereo mix in CD stereo

Note: the digital HD-Tracks version to download is taken from the DVD-A directly, but the HD-Tracks suffers from poor audio quality, versus the DVD-A.

Note: Billy Cobham himself was not aware (just corrected this info in following post #2921 here) of the DVD-A version until a fan handed him one to autograph. BC asked - "What's this ?" & fan said "Surround Sound" - BC smiled and gave a hearty laugh of approval.

The SACD is a 1970's unreleased Quad-mix & now remastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Sound. Gus Skinas did the surround sacd transfer & mastering from the 4 channel analog master tape; issued by AudioFidelity. In the multichannel 4.0 mix - synth keys is rear left, guitar is rear right, both bass & drums are stereo in fronts left & right, not sure where the horns & congas are placed, from what I've learned, without hearing it yet.

We also don't want to forget the fabulous original master Zal Shreiber did for the inaugural original release of the album.

Sister Andrea 1971 demo (Jan Hammer comp.), released 1996.

From Tommy Bolin cd - "From the Archives Vol. 1" (Rhino R2 721 94).

Tommy Bolin-gtr
Billy Cobham-drms
Jan Hammer-keys
Gene Perla (not Lee Sklar)-bass
Jeremy Steig-flute

This is the demo session when Tommy Bolin met Billy Cobham, before recording the Spectrum album together.

Later version on Mahavishnu Orchestra's BN&E album (live).

If you pull this up on the youtube site, the video has good liner notes underneath on the "Show More" tab (clic there).

Last edited:
Coste Apetria - Rites of Passage

Coste is a great guitarist from Sweden that performed with the fantastic Samlas band formations(Samla Mammas Manna/von Zamla/Zamla Mammaz Manna), known for their complex music, fun approach, whimsical playing, and superlative musicianship and creativity. Zappa is a very close representative of their sound.
Not so well-known outside of their native homeland, but absolutely loved by their fans. Coste plays with daring disregard to traditional concepts and embraces the innovative and ethnic influences from the global musical spectrum. His solo work allows him to be in the composer seat, yet he relies on the talents of those around him to deliver the fantastic results of his ideas.

Last edited:
Lenny White - 1978 - Astral pirates
Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
Excellent record originally on the Nemporer label when originally released. Lenny White was in Return To Forever co-current with many of earliest solo releases. Same can be said of Stanley Clarke and Al DiMeola, This particular record was a hot rocking jazz fusion affair, that featured duel guitars of Nick Moroch and Jeff Sigman, there are a ton of keyboards on the album mainly from the great Donald Blackman, Alex Blake is on the bass, and a host of other contributors. This record started a tour for the Lenny White band, which I was fortunate enough to catch here in MN, needless to say, that it had a lasting impact on me.

Fonderia - 2010 - My Grandmother's Space Suit

Front2.jpg

Italian progfusion outfit, 3rd album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom