Jazz Fusion Playlist

mn%20n%20th%20mrr.jpg
mn%20n%20th%20mrr%202.jpg

Passport / Man In The Mirror
1983 Atlantic

This was my first introduction to Jean-Luc over 40 years ago. I also saw him in concert when he toured for this release. I have over 20 titles from JLP, but this is my favorite.

Cool! I probably saw him on the same tour in '76, I saw him a few times that year. Aurora is such a fine album but I love them all!

This is scan of my first JLP show in '76 at a very cool venue in Evanston, a North Chicago lakefront suburb. Those were the days my friend and sure miss them!

Jean-_Luc_Ponty_Amazing_Grace.jpg

Last edited:
Deodato - Deodato 2

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Unreleased Tracks from Between Nothingness and Eternity

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Miles Davis ~ Black Beauty ~ Miles Davis at Fillmore West ~ Columbia/Legacy ~ C2K 65138 (2x CD) Remastered 1997

This was recorded on April 10th, 1970 and released by CBS/Sony in Japan in 1973. It wasn't released in the US until 1997.

black beauty.jpg

Last edited:
Oddest thing just happened...

was checking out info on the new upcoming Al DiMeola album "Opus", but only got a trax list and no personnel as of yet. Then stumbled on something that rocked me...his grandpop came from Benevento, Italy the same town my grandmom came from. AD is 4 years older than me, and it leads to wonder if the grandfolks may have ever came across each other way back then. Although it now has a population of 300,000 it was way far less populated over 100+ years ago, probably less than 75,000 maybe much less.

This also oddly happened about 20 years ago when when of my best buds said his grandad was from just outside L'Aquila in a small village when we were visiting him with my father. My dad's eyes opened real wide as his father (my grandpop) was from Collelongo, a tiny village right outside L'Aquila. My bud is 3 years apart in age from me, and dad said maybe the grandfolks (his dad) were best buddies also ! Although L'Aquila is also 300,000 population now (way less people 100+ years ago), Collelongo is only 1200 today and our elders said only about 300 folks way back then. Our grandpops may have hoisted some vino together, or at least may have known each other.

Odd coincidence since US population is now 323 million. Not posting for any star related inference nonsense, just mind blowing how "small the world is".

Anyway, DiMeola said his New Jersey Italian family elders always spoke about how fluent and how important the music was in Benevento; music was everywhere all the time for such a small village. Music & the arts plus architecture is so culturally imbedded and understood deeper in Europe. Even some of the past & present Prog Rock Italian skilled bands play with so much passion it is overwhelming live in person and dictates the largest part of the performance, proof soul & technical abilities can & do occur as one in great music such as Jazz Fusion also. Always thought DiMeola was the poster-person for blending technical ability, passion, emotion & soul all as one in his music.

Fusion nay-sayers (probably none here) must experience and absorb DiMeola's music. Always thought the nay-sayers didn't understand music very well, didn't have the proper opportunity to tune in well, nor let alone could even count some of the fusion time-signatures (& would be lost trying to play those odd times), but guess we best leave that alone and welcome all. Many of us repect other skilled genres we dislike (Opera for me, but love classical music). Many classical musicians respect & appreciate fusion, even if it's not their cup of tea. I always hear their references to Jean Luc Ponty's abilities and deep emotion. Some folks hear fusion for the 1st time, are hooked & then learn all they can.

Cactus Bob's thread here is a fusion encyclopedia playlist with cool discussions from all participants. If any newbies abound, it's all covered here and especially the most impactful recordings are listed and emphasized often. Super thread Bob !
Here's hoisting one for "All good people", yes, buddies & gals on the Jazz Fusion Playlist here ! :beerchug: (disclaimer: CB did NOT pay me $20 for that; all in good fun & jesting).

Last edited:
Tony Grey ~ Moving... ~ (CD) 2004

This is Tony's first solo effort. Check out my thread about Tony in the Music Forum.

moving.jpg

Back
Top Bottom