Jazz Fusion Playlist

@MJB1959

Shout out to MJB1959 for some great posts. He deserves recognition for finding really cool & obscure albums, and sharing those titles with us. Many of these I had not known about & it's super to discover lost gems. Some are relatively unknown artists & bands, others are high profile fusion players collaborating together or with a one-off band project album. Vintage or current, these are important to archive here for a great database.
Thank you to everyone who posts here; it's a great thread & Cheers brother ! :beerchug:

@MJB1959

Shout out to MJB1959 for some great posts. He deserves recognition for finding really cool & obscure albums, and sharing those titles with us. Many of these I had not known about & it's super to discover lost gems. Some are relatively unknown artists & bands, others are high profile fusion players collaborating together or with a one-off band project album. Vintage or current, these are important to archive here for a great database.
Thank you to everyone who posts here; it's a great thread & Cheers brother ! :beerchug:

Hey thanks for the kudos, though I must confess to being a fusion fanatic of sorts, prog as well, but being a fusion head since it's early days has always been my musical passion, and I have been collecting music ever since, I also play, so it is my main influence without question. One thing that has been a great blessing for collecting is the fact that I have been a music reviewer for the Proggnosis website https://www.proggnosis.com/ for quite a few years now, and have been exposed to an unusual amount of global talent. My goal is to connect the fans to the artists in anyway I can, and that website has been a very cool experience for me. Expect a LOT more musical suggestions.

Very cool, great insight into the artists and genre. Super reviews on proggnosis - like that site name too !

Progger here also; often feel prog composition from it's start to current time has exceeded fusion writing except for the classic 5 or 6 fusion bands and their offshoots on other projects, with some other fewer exceptions, and much fewer current fusion newcomer artists. A great deal of prog writing is just superb; as a whole, that genre commands skillful writing to get into the door. In fusion's support - it is a far smaller niche genre, with less catalog. Prog is flourishing in Europe with tons of bands, and new bands every year, with hordes of new albums monthly. It's really tuff to keep up with the amount internationally. Prog magazine's back pages have the monthly new releases each issue and it is extensive, with tons of new bands never heard of before. The live prog shows are extensive continually in Europe, many nites a week, especially UK, so many bands & venues supporting them - it's great to see.

Love both genres & glad we have a choice to hear them both.

Talking about very cool,...on the East coast right now we're in a cold freeze with wind chills near zero at nite and daytime highs around 15 to 20 to 25 max degrees ongoing into 10 days or more. Temps not seen like this since 20 years ago this time of year. As the sayin' goes...colder than a witch's t*t, ...that's cold. It's so true, back in the glory days grabbed a few of those & thems cold. Good thing the warm ones have them outnumbered.

Guess we have it all here, swingin' from wrecking ball chains, lava lamps, witch's anatomy too ! :)

Cheers :beerchug:

Lyle Mays
Geffen, 1985

20171231_121742.jpg

20171231_121841.jpg

Casiopea - Another Place

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Billy Cobham - Magic

Cover.JPG

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius

Cover.JPG

Philip Catherine - Guitars - 1975
I first became acquainted with Phillip when listening the the great Coryell/Mouzon record - Back together Again. The two guitarists were trading leads all through that lp.
This would be the first album of Catherine I was able to find in the record bins near me. And what a great line up, John Lee and Gerry Brown provide the rhythm section on bass and drums, this duo was quite prolific during this period having not only their own great music, but guesting as a pair on many albums by such artists as Jasper V'ant Hoff, Stu Goldberg, The Chris Hinze Combination, Joachim Kuhn, Danny Toan, Medusa, Charlie Mariano, and more. I would since acquire most everything by these artists.
This particular album offers a music that is quite varied in genres, textures and energy. Allowing Philip Catherine to lead a solid group of stellar musicians through some very mature fusion.
Philip Catherine - guitars, banjo, piano
Charlie Mariano - saxophone
Jasper Van't Hof - piano
John Lee - bass
Gerry Brown - drums
Rob Franken - strings

Recorded at Morgan Studios Brussels

guitars.jpg

Shortly after this album came out, me and a couple of buddies went to the Telluride Jazz Festival.
The event was three days and lineup was huge. But this group was the main reason we went.
Pat is one player that I think is actually better live than on recording.
That must've been a fun event. I've never seen Pat, live. The guy and his band are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom