Jazz LP Motherlode at the GW This Morning

Holy crud. Goodwill, indeed. Glad those tags came off (facepalm) - the record store where I scored near-pristine copies of all my Dylan, Dead vinyl & much more used to do both tags and penciling in the price on the actual LP cover, leaving an imprint you couldn't erase (luckily pretty faint). Bugged me, though for some reason I never mind the owner's names on the back of the LP, since I think it is really kind of sweet and personalizes the record.

Anyway, beats the selection at my last visit to Goodwill:

IMG_E0883 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, you weren't kidding Bob! Good for you. I hope tomorrow brings you more Scores! You may have to kneecap Walter and get to those bins first.

I saw this thread yesterday and felt happy for you Bob and today I go into the GW and what do I see? I got a nice jazz score too! I didn't want to hijack your thread, so I posted them up in the SA/GW/Thrift thread. Snow's right, persistence pays off.

There were no yard sales of interest in my area today, so I decided to make a trip to the GW Buy the Pound. I picked up some good CDs, DVDs and books, but nothing to write home about. At 9:00 AM the GW retail store opens up next to BTP so I wandered into there.

The other day the record bins had been half empty but now they were full. That's a good sign. As I started digging, my heart began to race. Somebody had donated a large jazz collection. A few of the covers had mild wear, but the vinyl looked like it had rarely been played. There was also a handful of blues albums I picked up. When the dust settled, I had 30 albums, whittled down from about 50. I'm going to be on a high for awhile. To all you skeptics who say there's never anything good at the GW...

In there was a Lee Morgan Sidewinder on the NY Blue Note, Japanese pressed Gene Krupa with Obi intact, 3 record French reissue of early Charlie Parker LPs and much more. Here are the photos.

View attachment 1229368 View attachment 1229369 View attachment 1229370 View attachment 1229371 View attachment 1229372

Damn, dude!

That's a great instant collection! Nice stuff. :)

Question, does GW sticker every record with the same price? SA and VV and most other thrifts gear me don't bother as they charge the same for all records, CDs, or other media. That at least means they don't have to sticker any of it so at least there's nothing to peel off.

That's a great instant collection! Nice stuff. :)

Question, does GW sticker every record with the same price? SA and VV and most other thrifts gear me don't bother as they charge the same for all records, CDs, or other media. That at least means they don't have to sticker any of it so at least there's nothing to peel off.

The GWs here in NH tag all records with a colored tag so you know which ones are discounted. Every week a color is posted that is 50% off. In the last year, they supposedly set up a computer program that decides what the price should be for each record. There were Willie Nelson albums priced at $5.00 and rare rock would have a $2.00 sticker. No rhyme or reason to it. I talked to some of the sales staff and they said there were problems but they were working out the bugs.

Lately, all records have been tagged $2.00. I think they received a lot of complaints about the random pricing. Next week it may change again. :dunno:

CDs are still priced from $2.00 to $5.00. $5.00 seems to be the highest amount they charge. The funny thing is, I buy many CDs at their Buy the Pound center for 20 cents a pound. Some have the $5.00 stickers on them because no one bought them in the retail store and they were purged. If they had put a $2.00 sticker on them in the retail store, they would have probably sold it and made a better profit than the 20 cents a pound.

Last edited:
Amazing, Bob!! :thumbsup: You were definitely at the right place at the right time for sure! I bet you felt like a kid in a candy store!

Back
Top Bottom