JBL 2245H 13 cu ft Subwoofer

Its a bit different than the traditional B460 clone
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

page6.jpg

Yeah the cab is slightly bigger than the B460. I bet they sound very nice. I know my 2242 drivers sound nice in the 10 cuft cabs I have them in.
Jbl makes some great 18" woofers:music:

As noted in the article Heather linked, 12 cubic feet gets you a relatively flat response without using EQ like the 8 cubic ft B460 requires. I built one for my brother and it is thunderous on very little power. But it is big. I have the B460 at home and it is a keeper.

Got a good friend with a B460 and 250tis, and another with 4 2245 subs stacked in his closet ...
I'd sure have a look if the price is good!

As noted in the article Heather linked, 12 cubic feet gets you a relatively flat response without using EQ like the 8 cubic ft B460 requires. I built one for my brother and it is thunderous on very little power. But it is big. I have the B460 at home and it is a keeper.
Sure - that's why I searched, found, and linked to the Lansing article ...
There is no substitute for cubic volume - if you can fit it in your space!

Last edited:
This reminds me of something I built in the early days of Audiokarma- a 27" cube, with a 2245 and a custom-built 18" passive radiator, with a 500w plate amp. About 9 cubic feet, internal volume.

With the parametric EQ on the plate amp, set for about 7dB of boost at 20Hz, and a PR tuning of just below 20Hz, the f3 was just about 20Hz. And it would do it LOUD. As in moving a 6' square plate glass window, in and out about 1/4", in the NEXT ROOM OVER from where I had the sub set up. We never specifically measured it for peak SPL, but that single sub should be able to hit 120 dB. That's bass... :banana:

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon, what did you use for a passive radiator? +7dB at 20 seems like it would be pushing a single 2245's Xmax limit, unless maybe you rolled it off below 20. I just might build one and get my fireplace back!

Last edited:
9cuft is a nice compact size for a 2245 cab.

I also like the fact that you can push one of these with a smallish amp.

Gordon, what did you use for a passive radiator? +7dB at 20 seems like it would be pushing a single 2245's Xmax limit, unless maybe you rolled it off below 20. I just might build one and get my fireplace back!

I built the passive radiator. If I had to do it again, I'd use something like a replacement cone for a PAS LX2800- giant rubber surround. I built it into a derelict 18" woofer frame.

The amp had a subsonic filter- I set it at 16Hz.

The boost actually was at about 22Hz, IIRC. And, the PR did a magnificent job of limiting woofer cone excursion at around 20Hz- better than a port, IME (much lower losses than a port tube). The 2245 cone would actually move more at 30Hz, than at 20Hz. The PR, OTOH, would be just, as the car audio guys like to say, "wanging away" at about an INCH or more of excursion, at high output levels near 20Hz...

Regards,
Gordon.

I built the passive radiator. If I had to do it again, I'd use something like a replacement cone for a PAS LX2800- giant rubber surround. I built it into a derelict 18" woofer frame.

The boost actually was at about 22Hz, IIRC. And, the PR did a magnificent job of limiting woofer cone excursion at around 20Hz- better than a port, IME (much lower losses than a port tube). The 2245 cone would actually move more at 30Hz, than at 20Hz. The PR, OTOH, would be just, as the car audio guys like to say, "wanging away" at about an INCH or more of excursion, at high output levels near 20Hz...

Regards,
Gordon.
What are your thoughts on isobaric 2245 subs in parallel? I'm thinking 6cu. ft. per cab. Simple cone to magnet with the internal driver mounted to the front via 18" concrete form tube with long bolts. You'd never know it was isobaric to look at it. Eliminate even order harmonics with tighter overall definition.

I have a pair of 2245H 18" drivers in 18 cu. Ft. vented enclosures of my own design. I was always quite pleased with them until I replaced them with a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice designed HT Tuba 1/8th wave folded corner horns using 15" drivers. The corner horns are also 18 cu. Ft. The JBL subs haven't been played since 2004 so I imagine they have bad foam surrounds. When I was using the JBL 18s in my system I loved the thunderous bass power down into the low 20s. The 2245H is a truly excellent driver, but the corner horns are a better match to the mids and highs in my 3 way all horn loaded triamplified system.

I have a pair of 2245H 18" drivers in 18 cu. Ft. vented enclosures of my own design. I was always quite pleased with them until I replaced them with a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice designed HT Tuba 1/8th wave folded corner horns using 15" drivers. The corner horns are also 18 cu. Ft. The JBL subs haven't been played since 2004 so I imagine they have bad foam surrounds. When I was using the JBL 18s in my system I loved the thunderous bass power down into the low 20s. The 2245H is a truly excellent driver.
I think we'd all like to see a pic of those :)

Regards,
Gordon.

Could one use some cheap car subs as PR's? It wouldn't be that hard to pop the magnets off.

I know they usually have some pretty big surrounds.

How about two 12" PR's instead of the 18"?

You need a really high excursion and a low resonance (~15Hz) for a PR for this.

You'd also need to fabricate a way to add weight to whatever you use.

I don't remember how heavy the whole cone assembly wound up- and that's one problem with using an existing woofer- you don't know how much weight you're starting with, either. But, if you can find a woofer that states moving mass (in either grams or ounces), you can go from that, and just add what you need.

I briefly used the calculator here: http://www.mh-audio.nl/PassiveRadiator.asp

For a "normal" 18" passive radiator (effective moving cone diameter of 16 inches), in a 9 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 20Hz, you'd need about 515 grams total moving mass (add whatever to the existing Mms/moving mass to get 515 grams).

For the same 18" radiator in a 13 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 20Hz, you'd need about 345 grams total moving mass.

More accurate results can be had, if you know the true Sd (effective diaphragm area) of the driver you're making into the PR. You can get the effective diaphragm diameter from the calculators on that site, then punch that into the tuning calculator to figure out the weight you need.

Regards,
Gordon.

Ok thanks Gordon.
It makes sense that it would be easier making the PR from a recone kit then. At least the specs for them are more readily available than lets say a cheap 15" woofer.

Other options I see are pre-made PR's on ebay. I could probably get the moving assembly weight on those too.

This is something I am going to seriously consider. Since I already have the JBL drivers, and already have cabs around the right size.

Back
Top Bottom