JBL 240Ti upgrades...facelift...?

Rex Everything

are you Shpongled?
Subscriber
Looking for some input form the experts here on the forum.

I have a pair of 240Ti's that I just sent the woofers and tweeters off to Upland for refoam and a general check up. I figure while I have the cabs apart now would be a great time to recap the cross overs, do any other mods needed to the networks and refinish the cabs.

What are your suggestions for the networks. I'm looking at replacing the four large caps with Gen I SoniCaps and bypassing them with Gen II Sonicaps. Any cap suggestions out there? How about inductors, should they be upgraded or left alone?(I'm NOT going to Northcreek's SET12 ;) ) How about all those big sand resistors?

On refinishing them, they are in fairly nice condition with a few bumps and dings but nothing that is to terrible. The front is faded pretty good with under the grills being much darker. Would you suggest just a light sanding (what gritts....) and teak oil (brand...?) or more? I need a lot of help here as this will be my first speaker refin project. The grills are pretty darn nice but I may consider replacing the brown cloth. Anybody have a line on original cloth?

How about inductors, should they be upgraded or left alone?(I'm NOT going to Northcreek's SET12 ;) ) How about all those big sand resistors?

On refinishing them, they are in fairly nice condition with a few bumps and dings but nothing that is to terrible. The front is faded pretty good with under the grills being much darker. Would you suggest just a light sanding (what gritts....) and teak oil (brand...?) or more? I need a lot of help here as this will be my first speaker refin project. The grills are pretty darn nice but I may consider replacing the brown cloth. Anybody have a line on original cloth?

I would leave the resistors and inductors alone. They dont change value over time like caps do.
Regarding original JBL cloth - I dont think its available any more but this is not far off http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/me...Product_Code=HGC&Category_Code=AJ_Grill_Cloth
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-339&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=498144

Thanks guys!

U.P., I am a member on LH and have been for a while. Can't believe I forgot about that thread.

I'm not sure these will get the refinish yet but the speakers are with Ken at Upland nd I just ordered the SoniCaps for the networks.....:banana:

Those are very nice speakers!! I would maybe Charge couple the crossovers and bypass, not cheap but that would be the best you could do for that crossover. Coils and resistors probably good but if you are going for the best (I don't know your budget) just build new boards.:yes:
Look for member 4313b's crossover threads on LHF, Those are really nice!:yes:

Those are very nice speakers!! I would maybe Charge couple the crossovers and bypass, not cheap but that would be the best you could do for that crossover. Coils and resistors probably good but if you are going for the best (I don't know your budget) just build new boards.:yes:
Look for member 4313b's crossover threads on LHF, Those are really nice!:yes:

Thanks for the tips! :thmbsp: I'm just going to replace the caps for now. I ordered Gen I SoniCaps for replacements and Gen II's for bypass.

Gonna go check out that thread

I love the sound of the 240ti!:thmbsp: I had a pair years ago and a friend of mine just picked up a nice pair. They are in my top ten.:music: I am on the fence about re-capping crossovers. I had a pair of 4430's re-capped and, to tell the truth, I couldn't hear much if any difference. I have also re-capped a few Klipsch speakers and a pair of Altecs and have the same opinion. My L150a's sound great stock and I don't plan to "fix" them anytime soon.:no: Just my $.02.

Back
Top Bottom