JBL 240Ti worth a trip?

Wow, after 23 days of begging I finally got an address and appointment in a hour. Seller has been all but helpful. I don't expect that to change when final negotiations occur. For me it all comes down to what repairs they need if the seller sits on his $900. Good thing I just sold 2 carver amplifiers needing rehab last night for $650.

Wow, after 23 days of begging I finally got an address and appointment in a hour. Seller has been all but helpful. I don't expect that to change when final negotiations occur. For me it all comes down to what repairs they need if the seller sits on his $900. Good thing I just sold 2 carver amplifiers needing rehab last night for $650.
Good luck! Keep us posted on the outcome.

Very interested to find out what happens. I've owned a pair of L100Ts for years, and they are among my most prized possessions. I have heard (aka read) nothing but good things about the 240ti, so I'm sure you will be delighted with them if everything works out. And I also hope the seller proves to be an honourable man, and the speakers are as described.

Here are the JBL 240Ti. I have done nothing with them yet, other then wipe a coat of simple mineral oil to clean them. I'll work on the cabinets later.
The big surprise here is the foam surrounds are very strong, reflexive, and complete. They have surely been replaced sometime before 2008-2009. Who knows, maybe some tech even refoamed the tweeter dome, but I wouldn't know.
The grills are complete, unbroken,original ultra dark brown, without holes, except a tiny one, and all pegs, and all badges are good.
Damage was $850.
20180205_174807.jpg

Very, very nice! They look like they have been well cared for over the years, and protected from sunlight (like the L100T, L80T, and L60T, the way the grills leave the cabinet exposed at the bottom means they frequently have notable sun fading on the lower portions, if they were exposed to sunlight). Nice to have unbroken grills too, because IIRC the frames are plastic (again like the L-series), and very fragile. I'm sure the 240Tis will provide years and years of enjoyment.

Those look very sharp! That's great. Talk about quite the time investment just to get them. Good to see they are worth it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts of them over what you are currently using.

<<snip>>Who knows, maybe some tech even refoamed the tweeter dome, but I wouldn't know.<<snip>>

Very nice find, you did well!

Regarding re-foaming the tweeter, JBL never offered damping foam for the tweeters, only available in diaphragm replacement kits. It is unlikely that it has been replaced unless the domes were damaged (poked?).

Find a piece of foam, cut it to quarter inch thickness or less, cut it to the size of a quarter coin, glue it into place. Cost of material <$0.10

I don't understand why people make a big deal over the foam in 035ti tweeters like it's some kind of miracle part. It's extremely difficult to tell the difference on a pair with foam and a pair without

Congrats 314carpenter. If it helps I drove 3.5hrs each way from Mass to Vermont to get my JBL Decade L36's. They are in excellent shape with all new foam and the cabinets are 9 out of 10 so to me it was worth it. Yes I'm nuts but the wife came for the ride with me so it was quality time with the other half, Good luck...:)

Yes I'm nuts but the wife came for the ride with me so it was quality time with the other half, Good luck...:)

My wife comes with me on some of these runs too. She supports what I do with the hobby, she enjoys surround sound, although she says she can't hear the subtle differences between components that I listen for.

Looking for help from any owners of JBL240Ti. I need a photo of the bottom of the speaker so I can restore mine to original. The dimension I have is a perfect 36.00 inches. Specs call for 36.625 inches. I would like to see what size bottom plate is used. Also what style of foot was used originally. I tipped one over for you to see what sort of challenge I face here.

20180210_165211.jpg

I am really happy for you. When I started reading this thread it brought back all my bad experiences on CL. I thought to myself, I'd walk away on this one. I figured you'd drive 90 miles to get there and be very disappointing. Congratulations!

Am I looking at a sideways move here, expecting more out of the 240ti than what I have with 2 pairs of jbl L100t3 running in a 12x14 room?

Now that you have them, how would you answer the question? Also, how would you compare with one set of L100T3, please?

Thanks.

Now that you have them, how would you answer the question? Also, how would you compare with one set of L100T3, please?

Thanks.
Working on that today. Been very busy. Would you like to suggest a playlist? I will be posting a review afterwards. I will not have an external amplifier for the first run. I just sold 2 and have only 1 amp remaining that's being used in the klipsch room now. Tubes may be out of range for me, but I will be looking for a amplifier soon and suggestions would be great. $1600 limit. 3 channels or more.

Main system: Panasonic TC-P60ST60 plasma; Denon AVR-X6200W; Outlaw 5000 5X100W amp; Klipsch RSW-10 sub; modified Klipsch Chorus II fronts; modified Klipsch Forte II center; Stock Chorus II surrounds; JBL Loft40 rear heights; JBL L20T3 front heights; Mogami 10ga speaker cables, Mogami interconnects; custom gaming pc

Secondary system: LG 47" lcd; Onkyo TX-NR818; JBL 240Ti fronts; JBL L40T3 center; JBL L100T3 surrounds; Mogami cables; custom htpc/server. no amp, no sub.

Your play list should be anything that you thought was good/great on your L100t3's. I recently played "Sting Brand new day" range on this cd is unreal. Simply Red Picture Book is another last 3 songs are amazing. Female vocals, Melody Gardot "Currency of Man" Preacher man. Just listen and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom