JBL 4301b build from scratch

looks like this ones :p

UT8lCiCXlVbXXagOFbXV.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-davidl...me-tweeter-speaker-pk-vifa-seas-/322332087111

Looking good man! I should have given you a few of those roller covers while you were at the barn, I like the texture which you can see on the Tannoys, if you think it looks right. I’m super stoked the tweeter fairy found what you needed. I’m excited to see these finished.
BTW the stands look great, thank you!

At $30 a pop retail I highly doubt the tweeters have actual beryllium vapor deposit. What do you guys think?

IDK, they have $100 dollar ones as well, check out PX too. :) Not sure the value equates to the material.

You can google beryllium tweeters, I say email Kenji, he is quite good to respond. He can give you the exact part number (if he feels so inclined to do so) :)

he has always been kind and quick to answer any questions I've had for him. Just a thought :)

I think these (same source) are even nicer. Trying to figure out how to use them in something.

s-l1600.jpg

Asked them if they could supply a co-ordinating mid/woof and they responded "you can use any woofer"

They are not going to suggest a driver for you, that opens the door for more questions.

The company is David Lewis Audio.

http://www.davidlewisaudio.com/

I just ordered a set of the ribbons you posted a picture of. Lets see how the quality holds up.

the eBay seller seems to have a lock on David Lewis Audio drivers, his store is full of raw drivers.

Ill let you know what they look like when they arrive. Ill take that risk for the team! :) LOL

Not to hijack Krauts post but he and I were actually talking about this same seller and some of these same drivers last time he was down. I’m building a set of cabs for some old stock Diatone 610’s to the original specs, wood is cut just have to assemble. I was thinking of ordering a set of the DavidLouis (Diatone) drivers (which show the EXACT same cab specs in the listing) to do a comparison.
I ordered a set of the 4 inch fullrange Neo drivers from the same seller and was happy with the build quality and sound. The 4inch DavidLouise drivers sounded much better to me than any Fostex Fe103’s I have, this includes early and modern 103’s.
I was hoping for good results given they cost $148 a pair, much more than other comparable 4 inch fullrange drivers. They have equal build quality as Tang Band which in my opinion are very well made drivers.

Not to hijack Krauts post but he and I were actually talking about this same seller and some of these same drivers last time he was down. I’m building a set of cabs for some old stock Diatone 610’s to the original specs, wood is cut just have to assemble. I was thinking of ordering a set of the DavidLouis (Diatone) drivers (which show the EXACT same cab specs in the listing) to do a comparison.
I ordered a set of the 4 inch fullrange Neo drivers from the same seller and was happy with the build quality and sound. The 4inch DavidLouise drivers sounded much better to me than any Fostex Fe103’s I have, this includes early and modern 103’s.
I was hoping for good results given they cost $148 a pair, much more than other comparable 4 inch fullrange drivers. They have equal build quality as Tang Band which in my opinion are very well made drivers.

This is great info, I was wondering about a few of the full range drivers. Man I want a garage so so bad! I have to do all my work in my small living room... dman I'd love to build a set of cabinets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-HIEND...er-PK-lowther-Fostex-/222924470924?nav=SEARCH

I'm considdering this set ^^

Want to wait to see the tweeter quality before I order a set.

I'm wondering if the ebay seller has some sort of hook on the drivers the prices seem to good.... i did have the same thought on a LM3886 chip amp I purchased and it turned out to be way better than expected... I really hope this is the case.

need to make some sort of LE25 blank to mount the ribbons to.

This is great info, I was wondering about a few of the full range drivers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-HIEND...er-PK-lowther-Fostex-/222924470924?nav=SEARCH

I'm considdering this set ^^
I'm wondering if the ebay seller has some sort of hook on the drivers the prices seem to good....

need to make some sort of LE25 blank to mount the ribbons to.

I've had that listing saved for a while, I want to try those exact speakers as well in some sweet, vintage style 2 - 3 cf cabs.
About mounting the ribbons in a LE25 or LE26 face plate, that is totally possible.

I've had that listing saved for a while, I want to try those exact speakers as well in some sweet, vintage style 2 - 3 cf cabs.
About mounting the ribbons in a LE25 or LE26 face plate, that is totally possible.

I need the tooling, I do have a few buddy's at work who may be able to assist. I just want to be sure I don't mod the cabinets at all. I do like the LE25/26s and would want to be able to put them back :)

They are not going to suggest a driver for you, that opens the door for more questions.

The company is David Lewis Audio.

http://www.davidlewisaudio.com/

I just ordered a set of the ribbons you posted a picture of. Lets see how the quality holds up.

From David Lewis?? That's a totally different company. David Lewis is a high-end retailer in Philly.

'DavidLouis' is the 'name' of a knockoff mfr in Chinaland.

the eBay seller seems to have a lock on David Lewis Audio drivers, his store is full of raw drivers.

Ill let you know what they look like when they arrive. Ill take that risk for the team! :) LOL

I bought two pair last night. 10% off everything on eBay, impossible to resist.

Audiophiles take note: Doing this on a lark, because they're cheap & they look cool.

My expectations are securely in check.

From David Lewis?? That's a totally different company. David Lewis is a high-end retailer in Philly.

DavidLouis is a knockoff deal in Chinaland.

Good call^^

I bought two pair last night. 10% off everything on eBay, impossible to resist.

With ya there :)

Little bit of progress on the x/os. The oil has cured and I waxed the walnut, then installed the binding posts, soldered them up. So now they're done except drilling the mounting holes on the drill press, but that's after the cabs are done.
I will solder the speaker wires directly to the x/os instead of using barrier / terminal strips and connectors. I use dabs of hot glue as strain relief as needed.

Back
Top Bottom