JBL 4312 vs 4312MkII

peter_cph

Hello fellow audio lovers

I have a pair of JBL 4312 Mk II control monitors and I love them. I also have a pair 4410's. Both pairs are connected to a McIntosh 2125 amp (1 amp per pair) and they play beautifully. Perhaps th 4410s are a bit "rounder" while the 4312 mk II's are sharper and more precise ... If I was forced to part with one set, I'd keep the 4312mkIIs.
However if I have both amps running i get (besides a lot of power) a very "full" and dynamic sound.

Now I have the opportunity to buy a pair of very well cared for JBL 4312 in great condistion at a very reasonable price.

I figure I'd take them - perhaps to replace one of the sets in the living room, or to have an extra system running in my study, where I currently have L100's powered by Marantz 3250B and 170DC .... the L100s are not in great shape and have lived through too many parties ...

But then ... I have no idea what to expect from 4312s compared to 4312mkII, 4410 and L100 .... would it be fair to assume, that they would be closer to the 4312mkII than to the popular L100 or the "rounder" 4410 with its 10" bass driver? My "research" says my 4312mkII is simply a newer, improved model. How does that affect sound?

Kind regards,

Peter

I think the 4312 MK II is one of the later Japan-Euro iterations of the 4312B-D design with metal (titanium) tweeter and 104H midrange. The original 4312 has an LE25 tweeter, IIRC so will not be as extended but a bit more peaky in the treble.

Also, the 4312's crossover is I think a bit more simplified, while later models are much smoother. I would suspect the 4312 to be a little more like the L100 than the 4312 Mk II or 4410.

Here may be a related thread from Lansing Heritage, where you may find more answers.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?18968-4312B-v-4312B-MKII

Hello Mech

Thank you so much for your answer ... this is apparently a very difficult area to research. There are so many models. I believe there are 4312, 4312A, 4312mkII and some also refer to 4312B ... the 4312s I am looking at have the LE 5-12, LE 25-2 and 2213 H drivers ... the midrange speakers have new centerdoms and the 2213 H have been reconed (professional work).

My 4312 Mk II have the titanium tweeter and a blue baffle - if that tells anybody anything. The older 4312s have a black baffle. Both my current set and the ones I'm buying have the classic walnut enclosure.

How great it would be if there was a production timeline somewhere ... I assume that every alteration (new version) was made to either enhance reproduction or reduce production cost (at some expense, probably, but what?).

As for Japan/Euro models I have no idea ... it doesn't say anywhere on the speakers whether they were made in Japan or Timbuktu or wherever. Maybe the serial number can reveal something?

Oh .. and I forgot to tell (this is the reason for editing this post) ... these 4312s are the ones where the midrange and tweeter are "tilted" ... apparently there's also differences in the baffle layout, if you google pictures of 4312 or check photos on audioheritage.org

Very confusing

Kind regards

Peter

Last edited:
OK, I bought them and a closer look reveals that one of the bass speakers have had a couple of tears that has been "repaired". Apparently the former owner "glued and painted the membrane" and it seems to work, the membrane is stiff and there are no "off" sounds. However the bass is not as deep and powerful as I had expected - I know the 2213H from my 4312 Mk II speakers. Maybe this can have something to to with the crossover, or with the way the cone has been "mended".
The way it looks, the former owner apparently decided to make both speakers look the same and gave both bass membranes a new layer of paint (?) ... which will naturally make the cones stiffer and heavier.
I am seriously considering replacing both bass drivers or alternative have them professionally reconed.
Not knowing the market very well, what is a reasonable price to pay for a pair of 2213H speakers/units/trandusers/woofers (what is the correct term?) in good condition?
There are some on ebay at prices from 25 - 50 dollars, but they don't xactly look like they have been cared much for.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom