JBL 4343 speakers

How about, "Honey, you know that retirement fund you were worried about??? A small investment now will pay big dividends in the future."

Hmmm, not bad, not bad at all

I still like, "A UFO kidnapped me and forced me to bring these home"

Those drivers have white cones, mine (to be) have black cones

I wonder if mine (to be) had been reconed?

The guy who gave them to me (soon) bought them in 1979

And those in the video do not have the lenses

That video was made by a Japanese hi-fi restorer, seems to be quite renown at least in youtube. He might have modified it.

I own them. they are mine. It wasn't just "The stuff dreams are made of"

They are under a blanket in my carport

but I have to eat my stupid dinner first

I took my neighbors Pioneer SX-1250 to AudioWizard to get it out of protection mode and back in service

Last edited:
Great find! Your dark cones are correct. (Kenrick has some oddball customized speakers.) The Velcro strips around the horn show that they used to have lenses.

Telling the wife that they are an investment is probably accurate. Every morning for years now, I have surveyed JBL prices on eBay. I get a report in my email as the sun rises. My 4435s have more than doubled in value since I got them. My L100s, 4311s, 250Tis and 4430s all appreciated dramatically, too. And all the blue-faced large-format monitors have climbed in value dramatically over the past five years or so. I wish our financial investments would do even half as well. Fixing them up, and veneering / painting the gray one, should be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
I remember this from a previous thread on AK
"My biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I bought it for"

My wife has a hard time arguing against free and I just sold some Lane acclaim end tables so there is a space available in the "lab"

First is the evaluation:
He mentioned the lenses were gone two house moves back
Grills show some wear
No badges

Now I have to get them in the house, early in the morning,

Kenrick sells really nice replica lenses on eBay for only $140 or so a pair. I think that's dirt cheap for anything from Kenrick, and especially compared to the crappy old cracked used original ones on eBay. I have a pair and they're perfect replicas. Badges are overpriced on eBay, but around here or Lansing Heritage, some kind souls will hook you up, if you ask nicely. Just post a wanted to buy ad. Lovely new grill cloth is sold by Huntley Audio on eBay.

This cat must be wondering why this cabinet, which was on the other side of the wall, is now here
DSC06842.JPG

Ha. That bottom edge of the veneered cabinet is a little scary; looks all chipped up and rough. I hope it's not that bad, but I fear a reveneer may be in order.

Outstanding! congrats. Since they were free, you can now just take your time with the restoration. Will be great looking when done.
Where in Scottsdale are you (I'm a horizon HS Grad)?

The speakers are safely within my stereo sanctuary and are under observation for rats and spiders (my wife's contribution to the story)

Here is what shall be designated as "Speaker #1" henceforth
Speaker #1 has the WX walnut
Speaker #2 has the Studio grey texture finish

DSC06843.JPG DSC06845.JPG

DSC06847.JPG DSC06848.JPG

DSC06849.JPG DSC06850.JPG

First thing I will do is a nice clean up
Next I will pull the drivers

Last edited:
Here is speaker #2, the grey texture model

My new best friend next door said he got them as mismatched scratch and something
He paid $360 each in 1979
DSC06854.JPG DSC06855.JPG DSC06856.JPG

Last edited:
You sexy thing, you. (not you, the speakers) Held my breath until I turned JBL blue. Congrats. Do NOT let them go. Remember, you'd have to shell out five figures to get sound close to these.

When you get your speakers refoamed PUT IT IN WRITING on the work order that the foams are to be attached to tbe backs of the cones. Also stress this to the repair shop and that nothing else is acceptable!

When you get your speakers refoamed PUT IT IN WRITING on the work order that the foams are to be attached to tbe backs of the cones. Also stress this to the repair shop and that nothing else is acceptable!

Good advice. On that note, I would send out the mids and possibly all of the foam issues to Ken at Upland Loudspeaker. You are dealing with cone parts that are oem unobtainable as far as I know.

Congrats on the find and you owe them a beer, wine, dine, something.....

Looking forward to the resto progress.

Back
Top Bottom