JBL 4411 or L112 to replace L96 ??

dantay

I enjoy my JBL L96 speakers but want to try the 12 inch woofer equivalent to attain slightly more bass. I was waiting for a good pair of L112 but came across a good pair of 4411. I understand the L112 and 4411 ( home and pro) are the same with only a crossover difference. Auditioning is best but what are the opinions? Is there much audible difference between the L112 and the 4411?

I I understand the L112 and 4411 ( home and pro) are the same with only a crossover difference. Auditioning is best but what are the opinions? Is there much audible difference between the L112 and the 4411?

Don't underestimate what the crossover difference can do. I was totally blown away by how different my 4412 speakers sounded, despite having the same 128H woofer as my L150 speakers (aside from color) and the same mid and tweeter as my L100T speakers. The 44xx Studio Monitor series (as opposed to 43xx Control Monitors or home models) are really meant to sound neutral, and they generally do. You can probably "fix" it to sound more to your taste by using an EQ. And of course, that 128H woofer in the 4411 will be capable of plenty of bass :)

As the owner of L96 and L112 (since new), I'd have to say the 4411 should actually be a bit better than the L112. Do you have a choice, or is the 4411 too expensive? If you're asking if you should wait for the L112 or buy the 4411, I'd say buy the 4411 and enjoy.

I own both 4411's and L112's, and to me they sound different. The L112's are reminiscent of other JBL "rock monitors", but are more accurate, and IMO, better sounding. The 4411's are more accurate still, and a little less bright. I like em both.

I have no experience with the JBL speakers you mention. But I'm replying because i went through a similar thing with later generation of JBLs. I recently acquired JBL L100Ts. i had been pleased with my L80Ts, but the L100TSs have 12 inch woofer compared to 10 inch with L80T. Well i'm a bit disappointed. A bit more bass, but he L80Ts seem tighter and i think i prefer them. But anyway not the "wow much better" that I was expecting. Now neither have been recapped and that may be needed for best comparison.

Good luck.

Thanks....I was trying to attain a little more bottom end with the change from the L96. I will likely pick up the 4411 to A/B test with the L96 for comparison and do the same if I come across a good pair of L112. After reading some reviews I was concerned that the 4411 might be a completely different sound than the L96 and L112 due to the crossover difference.

I have no experience with the JBL speakers you mention. But I'm replying because i went through a similar thing with later generation of JBLs. I recently acquired JBL L100Ts. i had been pleased with my L80Ts, but the L100TSs have 12 inch woofer compared to 10 inch with L80T. Well i'm a bit disappointed. A bit more bass, but he L80Ts seem tighter and i think i prefer them. But anyway not the "wow much better" that I was expecting.
I have two pair of L80Ts converted to T3 crossovers and Gordon's port tube and insulation mods. They are ho-hum compared to the L96 in the same room. I love the L96 but the 4412A in the same room will definitely produce stronger bass response with essentially the same bass driver as the L112 (which is in another room across the hall where they've been since purchasing them in 1982!

But if it's strong low-end you want, the L7s in the same room as the L96 will decimate the little 10-inch 3-ways . . . and I paid exactly the same for both!
I have yet to find a JBL that presents a better sound value than the L7. Maybe when the Studio 590 drops to $200/pair we'll have a true rival.

Last edited:
I have two pair of L80Ts converted to T3 crossovers and Gordon's port tube and insulation mods. They are ho-hum compared to the L96 in the same room. I love the L96 but the 4412A in the same room will definitely produce stronger bass response with essentially the same bass driver as the L112 (which is in another room across the hall where they've been since purchasing them in 1982!

But if it's strong low-end you want, the L7s in the same room as the L96 will decimate the little 10-inch 3-ways . . . and I paid exactly the same for both!
I have to find a JBL that presents a better sound value than the L7. Maybe when the Studio 590 drops to $200/pair we'll have a true rival.

My JBL reading keeps pointing to what you said: L7. I'm just saying that in the L80T to L100T line I found "slightly more bass" (per op). I was probably mistaken to be expecting any big difference.

I own both 4411's and L112's, and to me they sound different. The L112's are reminiscent of other JBL "rock monitors", but are more accurate, and IMO, better sounding. The 4411's are more accurate still, and a little less bright. I like em both.
I would agree ^ I own both the 4411 and L112s and I value both, but when I listen to them separately, I'd have to side with the L112s as they are more vibrant and the 4411s sound flat to me, but when I pair both and crank them up, that's when I really appreciate both the L112s and 4411s, it's like they compliment each other.

The 4411 has a complex and proper crossover and can voice forwards and back on the midrange. It's an exceptionally good speaker and was made for small to medium rooms. The 128H woofer is my favorite JBL driver so I'm a bit bias.

Back
Top Bottom