JBL 4429 - driven by Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Poweramp?

Fonzombie

Hello -

I just recently purchased a pair of the JBL 4429's (currently on backorder). They seem to be very sensitive speakers and relatively easy to drive. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the "Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Poweramp" will deliver significant enough power? My opinion is yes, since tubes seemingly deliver more power than rated, but i wanted to get others feedback - especially since I haven't even had a chance to pair the two yet. Look forward to hearing back.

Yes primaluna dialogue premium hp power amplifier is good pair with my sonus faber guaneri memento. I am so happy with the result ... But don't ever changing the primaluna 12au7 original tube, because the original already good matching sounds... The pre amplifier recommend primaluna premium preamp, sound great if change ratified tube to rca 5u4g at my system!!

Hello -

I just recently purchased a pair of the JBL 4429's (currently on backorder). They seem to be very sensitive speakers and relatively easy to drive. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the "Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Poweramp" will deliver significant enough power? My opinion is yes, since tubes seemingly deliver more power than rated, but i wanted to get others feedback - especially since I haven't even had a chance to pair the two yet. Look forward to hearing back.

Depends on how loud you want it.

BTW/FWIW, tubes don't deliver more power than rated unless the mfg is lying. But their clipping characteristics tend to be less harsh than solid state. So, one can end up with somewhat higher average SPL with similar watts, basically due to a form of compression, yet doesn't sound as bad as it would with SS in the same scenario.

I prefer, however, my watts to be relatively clean in either case...not rely on "more pleasant distortion" to get the SPL I want. :)

The amp of topic is fairly powerful for a tube amp and the speakers are decently sensitive. I'd expect it will be fine unless you regularly push concert hall levels.

Last edited:
I have a pair of 4429s in the speaker stable. Can't answer your specific question as to amp interface, but I am using two Crown I-Techs in a bi-amp configuration. The JBLs are very good sounding speakers. Actually, my favorites. With one Crown driving them I had a hardness at the extreme high end, up in the super tweeter range. Oddly, bi-amping 100% corrected the upper freq. hardness. Probably an issue with my amp to speaker interface. The 4429 was not marketed in the US. No owners manual for these in the US. To bad, as these are really great sounding speakers. The mids are some of the best and most accurate I have ever heard. I think they are also great looking speakers. Extremely well made as per classic JBLs. They weigh 71 pounds each. Let us know what you think of them when you receive them!

So I finally got everything set up Pioneer sx-1250 Preamp / Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Power Amplifier / JBL 4429 speakers .... Magic. One of the best combos I've created yet. Initially I had the speakers set up to a SS vintage technic sa-5760 - and although they sounded good they didn't sound great - they were kind of harsh... But when I coupled these with the Primaluna tube amp - sweet Mary did they sound amazing.

Back
Top Bottom