JBL 4430's?

Jim Kremer

Hi everyone I'm new to the site, and would like any info you could possibly share on these JBL 4430's I acquired. As you can see from the pics the high and mid frequency level controls are upside down and the tops are slanted at a 45 degree angle. I can not find another pair of 4430's online like them.

Attachments

• 20181108_154013.jpg
    20181108_154013.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20181110_100807.jpg
    20181110_100807.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 140
Yeah....no doubt those are one of a kind.

If you plan to keep them, new cabinets or a major repair job is in order. Pretty simple cabinets so not that difficult and the 4430 is worth the effort.

Otherwise, probably worth more parted out than as-is.

Welcome to AK and go of luck with your project.

My guess is they were flown from the rafters or ceiling at some point -
maybe high up on a wall, facing outward and downward -
its the only way the angle of the tops would work

My guess is they were flown from the rafters or ceiling at some point -
maybe high up on a wall, facing outward and downward -
its the only way the angle of the tops would work
Would make sense having the lpads upside down with that config too...

Maybe they were ceiling mounted, with the back up against the ceiling. Or wall mounted very high up, and upside down.

Being cut down as they are, they've lost about 25% of their internal volume which is critical to their low end tuning.

The 4430 monitors are liked by many, and would certainly be worth constructing proper cabinets for, even if it takes a long time to get it done. Lots of my own projects proceed in $50 steps. Takes forever, and I lose count of the money over time. But things eventually get done.

It's a gen JBL model. Intended as suggested for ceiling mounting. Used in houses of worship etc.
Sorry I can't recall the model number but there is a pdf in the JBL archive.

JBL 4660 is a similar format to these , but bigger.

page1.jpg

Interesting modification. EV and Altec had speaker systems with variable pattered horns. The home made system with the JBL woofers was a compromise at best with the horn in use. The 4430 was a monitor speaker and not an entertainment or PA speaker. And with the compromised woofer horn relation ship being introduced I would really question the coverage patterns of the two drivers and how the interfaced with each other after the MOD.

Interesting modification. EV and Altec had speaker systems with variable pattered horns. The home made system with the JBL woofers was a compromise at best with the horn in use. The 4430 was a monitor speaker and not an entertainment or PA speaker. And with the compromised woofer horn relation ship being introduced I would really question the coverage patterns of the two drivers and how the interfaced with each other after the MOD.
The 4430 was a WOW speaker, that's to say, they Wowed me with effortless volume. I think the L200 and L300 are more ideal for home entertainment, but mostly that's about interior design than speaker performance expectations. At any rate could not afford any of them when in production or even now. I had to settle for L-100t3's.

Back
Top Bottom