JBL 4435 (FINALLY) in the house

I have 1 question: Are those speakers for me? 1 have a Decware Torii IV amp... My room is small (14ft x 12ft) and serves as a living room, so there are a acouple of sofas, etc...

Yes. Your Decware will do more than "just fine". I have the Decware Rachael putting our one-fourth the power of your Torii, powering JBL 4430s, which are a few dB less sensitive. Bass gets flabby with so little power behind them in my setup, but it can get comfortably loud. (When nobody's home I hook up the Yamaha or the Crown.)

If you find some 4435, get them. They're not making any more.

I have 1 question: Are those speakers for me?

1 have a Decware Torii IV amp
1 Thorens 124MK2
my current speakers are a pair of Omega Speakers (7XRS)

I listen to roots Reggae, late 70's, early 80's Funk, hip hop (and my wife listens to Steely Dan, Pat Metheny)

My room is small (14ft x 12ft) and serves as a living room, so there are a acouple of sofas, etc...

Hi gbougard,

I'm with HTWillie! I have a Torii MKIV and I have run it with a pair of JBL Sovereign (SR8) and the result is very satisfying. Your Torii has many, many options by means of tube rolling and when you get the right combination magic happens. Everything can be tailored with that amp; the input, regulators, and rectifier tubes affect the voicing of the amp. The same can be said for synergy upstream to the Torii. If you can get the JBL's you may want to seriously consider. If they are not a fit, chances are you can pass them along without taking a hit. I know my Torii and the Sovereigns are a match and I'll keep them possibly for ever.

PM me about tube preferences if you like ;)

Hi guys, I just installed some 4435s in my studio. I have a question on which 15" speaker is the (low bass) filtered one.
On mine it is the one below the horn. I thought the mid freq driver would be located below the horn and the low bass driver would be the farthest from the horn.

- posted a topic with this question already but maybe someone watching this thread will know... -

Thanks,
Steve

Weird. That doesn't "seem" right, but maybe it doesn't matter. Perhaps our brains are expecting some notion of symmetry. Maybe they were designed that way, or maybe the factory did it both ways. I wonder.

Are the wires from the crossovers long enough to route each pair to the opposite side? Others here will have to open theirs up and report from the field.

Weird. That doesn't "seem" right, but maybe it doesn't matter. Perhaps our brains are expecting some notion of symmetry. Maybe they were designed that way, or maybe the factory did it both ways. I wonder.

Are the wires from the crossovers long enough to route each pair to the opposite side? Others here will have to open theirs up and report from the field.
Hi Willie, thanks so much for the reply. The wires are not long enough to reach if they were to be switched sides... The schematic shows the LF as Green / Black and the MF as White / Black. And the green wires are under the horn.

I thought maybe the owner before me might have messed with them. Maybe the guys at JBL tried it this way in the 4435 and liked it :) even though its different from my 4430s.

Anyway,. I just re-foamed them and they sound great in my new control room. Next step in the future would be to have the Crossovers modified.

Here's a pic of my new control room... I am almost done building the studio, I'm working on the console now. Its great to hear some music in that room, instead of the sound of hammers. :)

703404d1509963342-inspiration-recording-studio-philippines-stevep-studio-construction-thread-control-room.jpg

Hi Lo-Fidelity and Don, Thanks for the replies and the welcome :) I will go ahead and switch the LF and MF drivers so they are in the correct position.

The 4430s are "tubby." Maybe the 4435s, not so much??? :dunno:

Lived with 4430s for a while, but I haven't heard a 4435 since auditioning them back when they were new.

Getting them up and off of the floor is important to tame the tubbiness they're prone to. Most people only go up 8-16" though.

Damn! That's impressive! Whereabouts is your studio?
Hi and thanks for the encouragement. I am building the studio in the Philippines,. This is the 3rd studio I have build and operated, first in Tucson and then CA. Just this week i got the JBLs fired up and the room sounds great, the 4435s are perfect in here.

Here are 2 links to my studio build thread with lots of pictures and information.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/pho...ppines-stevep-studio-construction-thread.html

https://www.facebook.com/InspirationRecordingStudio/

hope its ok to post links.

thanks again guys for all your help :)

Steve

The 4430s are "tubby." Maybe the 4435s, not so much??? :dunno:

Lived with 4430s for a while, but I haven't heard a 4435 since auditioning them back when they were new.

Tubby?? Not in the slightest, and that is with a tube preamp and amplifiers (and even a tubed DAC). In fact, when I first acquired them, I feared tubbiness, admittedly being prejudiced by looking at those twin 15s. If anything at all, I found them slightly lean for their configuration and was more than somewhat surprised. Not disappointed mind you, but genuinely surprised. The speakers that they immediately replaced are Magnepans, so it's not as though I had a big set of Cerwin Vegas blasting away either. Interestingly, a friend has the 4430s, and tubbiness is certainly not a quality that can be ascribed to them either, at least not to his pair. I wonder.....

I say maybe not so much with the 4435s because their 2234 woofers don't have the mass controlling rings of the 2235s in the 4430s.

These add weight to the cone giving them more bass, but making them less responsive to directional change.

I had the 2205s in my enlarged L200 cabinets reconed as 2235s, and it made them tubbier too. If I did it again, I would have the rings left off.

Revised_L200_vs_4430.jpg

Last edited:
^^^Very interesting postulation Todd. I like both your speakers in fact! Can't these controlling rings be removed?

Hi there
I felt in love with these beasts by long time and I should be ready to possess them but I have some doubts.
1st : is my Accuphase P300L (170watts on 8ohms) capable to drive them?
2nd: is my room enough big for them ( 5.8m x 4,5m & 3.2m high )
I really would like to have your opinion . Thanks
Marco

Hi there
I felt in love with these beasts by long time and I should be ready to possess them but I have some doubts.
1st : is my Accuphase P300L (170watts on 8ohms) capable to drive them?
2nd: is my room enough big for them ( 5.8m x 4,5m & 3.2m high )

I really would like to have your opinion . Thanks
Marco

Marco, you'd better seize them before you have a chance to talk yourself out of them! They will continue to appreciate in value. They are fairly high in sensitivity and can be driven with a small amp. Need more power? Save up for a monster amp in the future. These speakers make great near field monitors as opposed to just sounding great in a large room. I recently moved a large set of Altecs into my main listening room, but my beloved 4435s serve as somputer speakers on steroids and sound terrific really close up. Don't miss this opportunity! Please open photo of JBLs below.

Attachments

• 20190506_194229.jpg
    20190506_194229.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom