1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

JBL 4560 cabs: factory or clones?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by elitopus, Jun 17, 2017.

1. elitopus

elitopus Super Member

I threw an Eminence driver in the first cab, and listened to some music while I cleaned the second cab.
    The mid bass is excellent. Its the "hit you in the chest" midbass that only a horn loaded woofer can really do right.

I was listening to some Tab Benoit

2. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Well-Known Member

Eli, I would be thrilled to death to have stumbled across those EVs. With a little tuning up and updating, I'll bet they would make some great home speakers. While I prefer veneer, there are a number of interesting paint schemes out there just waiting to make those EVs sparkle. Be sure to post pics of your progress. I wish I had your present run of good luck in finding some really nice speakers. Watching.

GeeDeeEmm

3. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

Kustom branded but made by CTS and used in lots of things including Fenders and Leslies.
    [​IMG]

4. elitopus

elitopus Super Member

Unfortunately I only have one of the EV 3 way speakers. I did get a few other things in this haul.

1 pair JBL 4560 cabs
    1 EV Pl-15-3 (minus horn)
    1 pair Altec 811 horns with 807 drivers
    1 pair Altec 809-8a xovers.
    1 JBL LE15a
    1 EV 15B
    1 EV 15L
    3 Eminence 15" woofers
    1 Pair Kustom 15" woofers (1 good and 1 bad)

Plus a few more blown 15" woofers, 2 bass cabs, and a 15" wedge.
    I already gave away one of the bass cabs and the wedge. I needed the space back. I still have the other bass cab.

I have been telling my wife that I am in need of a good "deal". Then I saw this ad mentioning Altec on craigslist. The guy would not tell me what he had over the phone. Honestly I don't think he knew what model numbers etc. When he was helping me load up, I was telling him what everything was. Trying not to sound too excited of course.

I paid him 100$ and drove away quickly:banana:

I would have paid 100$ for just the JBL cabs. Honestly I think the seller was just happy to clean out his shed. He said he was moving soon and could not take it all with him.

5. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Well-Known Member

I got a good chuckle about the way you ordered your list: good stuff to not so good stuff! Just the way any good gear monger does it! I'm proud of you.

GeeDeeEmm

6. elitopus

elitopus Super Member

GeeDee
    Its funny how my audiophool brain works. I listed things in that order just by memory. Its interesting that I have the stuff memorized in order of how "good" it is. Lol