JBL big ones

From the curves of the CD and horn together, it looks as though you need 10dB of attenuation. I'll keep looking. Yours is a common combo.

From the curves of the CD and horn together, it looks as though you need 10dB of attenuation. I'll keep looking. Yours is a common combo.

Exactly. And that sounds extreme, but even with 10dB he'll still be playing with around 100dB of horn efficiency, don't you think? That should leave a pretty good mismatch in output between the horns and the bass cabs, so he'll eventually need to think about padding the horns even further, I would guess. But that's the easy part.

GeeDeeEmm

The horn is clearly 8 ohms based on the OP's model # and the linked spec sheet.

The woofer enclosure is listed as 8 ohms on its spec sheet so if the woofers are 4 ohms each, wired in series, the overall cabinet would be 8 ohms?

Thanks for confirming, Tox. I was beginning to think maybe I'd lost my grip - again! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

GeeDeeEmm

The woofers are wired to 4ohms in these. I have a few sets I run with the 2360a horns and the 2446h using the jbl aquaplas coated diaphragms.

Last edited:
Yes they're 4 ohms each but unless the cabinet has separate inputs, that's 8 ohms total right?

I haven't given up. :whip:

What does 'wired 4 ohms' mean? Are you talking about each voice coil or the 4648A-8 cabinet?

I expect the -8 means the cabinet is 8 ohms, two 4 ohm woofers in series. Treated as an 8 ohm driver as far as crossover construction.

The only way to get a 4 ohm cabinet is to use 8 ohm drivers in parallel, but that's not what I get out of the specs.

If he's still playing the horns louder than the woofers, an L-pad will balance them. Where's Earl when we NEED him or Gordon et al.

WOW. This is fundimental. Disconnect each woofer and measure the DCR. Then wire them to the DCR you need. 2 @ 8 in series is 16. Two in parallell @ 8 ohms is 4. Help us out here. The answer is as close as the quality of your participation

Jbl never wires the woofers in series. If the woofers are 2226h the cabinets are 4 ohms. If they are 2226j then they would be 8ohms.

I just grabbed one of the Rolls SX 45 active crossovers. It might work as well as a passive that I could try to build myself and i just dint have the time right now. I hope it just might be nice to have around and test an active crossover, if I need to, with different speakers. For these JBLs does it matter that the woofers are wired 4 ohm? I just need to set them up to play sound in a huge room, doesnt need to be hifi for now i just need the volume

Does it matter? No, as long as the amp you drive them with can handle a 4 ohm load. :dunno:

If this is the case then JBL's spec sheet is rather confusing. But whatever.

Back
Top Bottom