JBL C50 Olympus questions

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
So normally I’m pretty confident in my purchases especially in the vintage realm. However I have a chance to purchase some pretty nice JBL C50s that are in nice shape. The grills are not busted and actually don’t have any damage that I can recall. There is from what I can see the LX5/PR-15/LE15A and as for the Horn I believe a H91 and a LE85. I can’t get a really good look but did JBL use any other horn with the 375 during this period other than the H93 short horn? I know there is a longer horn in these so my suspicion is that it’s a LE85 (much to my sadness). Granted I have used these drivers before in my Apollo’s and enjoyed them.

My other question is what is a good value on these for a purchase price? I think I can get them for 2800 but I don’t know. Something is eating away at me about it and I’m not sure what. Am I crazy and is this a steal or is my sensible side starting to gain some headway with my audio addiction?

Pics to follow

Last edited:
My other question is what is a good value on these for a purchase price? I think I can get them for 2800 but I don’t know. Something is eating away at me about it and I’m not sure what. Am I crazy and is this a steal or is my sensible side starting to gain some headway with my audio addiction?
I generally see asking prices for much higher.

I took a little peek inside my Sovereigns and found a pristine interior with like new drivers, as if time stood still.
The wood exterior is stellar.
I wish they were Olympus style though.
If the ones you are considering are really nice condition-wise and the reading 427 suggests match up I don't see them losing their value and you might even enjoy the vintage sound;)

upload_2019-3-26_0-22-2.jpeg

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm just on the fence about as I really wanted to have the 375 drivers and I just feel like the price point is a little bit of a stretch for me. I think reasonably I would feel better paying 1500-2K but anything more makes me a little uneasy. I know that the vintage market is all about demand and what is hot right now, but I feel like the price point is just a touch to much.

I guess my hurdle is that I have a love for vintage pieces and always wanted the Olympus and I think that is a driving factor for the want. The let down isn't so much that I don't like the LE85, just that I already used that driver before and really wanted to try the next level up. But it seems like that anymore 6500.00 and up is the new bench mark for the vintage top shelf

I sold my sovereign s8r load for 4800 a couple years ago. Yes people ask 6500 but usually probably only trade hands for around 5k. The 375 alone brings 2000.00 +. What you have is an L200 with passive rad in larger cabinet. Id say in that condition in the more saleable olympus style cabinet 2800 is fair market. You won’t likely make money on a flip in the short term but horney jbl’s don’t go down in value.

The 375/2440 driver is always used with the short H93 horn - its so darn heavy that on the end of the 7" H91 or 12" H92 and it would probably lever the horn clean off the baffle if it wasn't the driver wasn't supported underneath with a collar or yoke. The S7R load with LE15/PR15 and LE85/H91/L91 is pretty decent and common. The S8R with the 375/H92 and 075 subbed in was substantially more expensive, and draws a much higher price these days.

If you wanted to play with a 375 type driver, you could always sell the LE85 / H91 and use the proceeds to pick up a used 2440/2441 driver which tend to go for a lot less than a 375/376. Pick up a short professional horn and check out the diaphragms before being in business. Of course, you'd have to adapt two crossovers too so eventually, you still will be far exceeding your $2800 price.

Personally, I really like the design, but the LE15/PR15 isn't my cup of tea. Rather change over to a pair of 2234/2235 ala JBL 4435 to use as Woofer/mid-Woofer and then figure out the mid and HF drivers.

Back
Top Bottom