JBL CF-120 speakers

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by decaturron, Apr 29, 2009.

1. decaturron

decaturron Active Member

Hey what's up? I have a chance to buy a set of jbl-cf120 speakers in allegedly excellent condition for 40 bucks. Anybody know anything about these? Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. x_25

x_25 Big Vandies!! Mwahahah...

Go for it. I bought the CF-150's (the bigger brothers to the CF-120's) for $100 and haven't looked back. Yours would be the 12" 3-ways, 96db/w/m and a rated range from 36hz-20khz.

info here and the manual here.

3. Efa Efa

Efa Efa Active Member

I bought a pair of CF-120's for $85 (CL ad) from a poor soul who had just moved into a townhouse that was no bigger that 800 sqft. His wife made him sell them and when I picked them up, I knew I made a score. Their condition was immaculate. My 9090 DB drives them and I have been in music nirvana since.

Efa

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. budgetaudio6

budgetaudio6 Addicted Member

its a rough life i tell ya...

5. wildwill532

wildwill532 Active Member

whats going on decaturon, i live in decatur too and seen the same add but passed, not my deal.

PS. did you take them free speaker stands lol

6. decaturron

decaturron Active Member

jbl cf-120

Hey, what's up? I gotta go back and get the stands, the speakers were so freakin big I couldn't get all four pieces in the car. You missed out, these things are cherry!!

7. Xtinc

Xtinc Well-Known Member

Congrats, 40 bones doesn't get much now-a-days, so an immaculate pair of rockin speakers and stands is awesome.

8. x_25

The stands or the speakers? The speakers should be black.

9. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff"

Cherry, as in pristine.

10. Macdaddy

Macdaddy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am going to look at a pair of the 120's and they look in great shape, owner says no speaker rot. they come with tx series center speaker he wants $150 firm what do you think?he doesn't know how old they are, looks like they started making them 95-96 until when?
    Thanks
    Bill

11. herbd2

herbd2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have two pair of the CF-150's.
    I love them because they sound great, strong bass and very efficient...98db.

I ended up having to replace the tweeters but I got very lucky and found some older (NIB) audax horn loaded soft dome tweeters that were almost a perfect match.

They're in storage now, but when I get them back out I'm gonna take all 4, wire them to the front channels of one of my big amps, spread them out in front of me like a fan pattern and crank spirit of the radio as loud as I can take it. What a rush!!
    :D

The only thing I could recommend is that IMHO the tweeters in the 110's and 120's could be upgraded to some good domes and it would help the sound alot. The 150's had soft domes instead of the "mylar" that the other two do. They are still audax tweeters in the 110 and 120's, but I think they are just a tad more bright than the domes on the 150's.

Some folks say the cabinets weren't made to the quality level of the drivers, and I guess in some ways that is true. But they are still damn fun speakers.

12. x_25

Fun speakers, with the center they will be perfect for home theater. I use to run the CF-150's until I blew a tweeter (which is unobtanium).

13. herbd2

herbd2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Do you still have them or did you part them out?

14. x_25

I sold them as a whole to make room for my Vandersteens.

15. levlhed

levlhed Well-Known Member

A pair of 120s popped up for sale here. Seem to be in decent shape, but I feel like $125 is too much

16. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

A wise decision. Not a bad speaker for cheap, but at that price you're getting near what a good pair would cost.

17. ToneAlive

ToneAlive Active Member

old thread, I know!! ..but these are not a "good" pair?? I have seen some great reviews about these, and I have a pair I can get for $80, maybe 40 if they are are still there when I can get them half off. What do you guys say, are they worth it?? ..for someone who already has a couple of good pairs of speakers but is always on the look out for great speakers at a bargain price?

18. levlhed

levlhed Well-Known Member

Heh, don't worry..it was an old thread when I pulled it up too. In my case $125 was just too much. To me, I'd say $40 is a no brainer. $80? maybe...depends on how bad I want them. I've never heard the speakers before.

19. Mystery

Mystery constantly upgrading...

I got a pair last weekend for $80.
    They were in good condition except for the pushed in dust cap.
    It sounds good, much better and stronger than my HTIB. :)
    I'd say get it if you get it for under $80. Their tops make good corner stands as well.

20. x_25

I use to keep turntables on top of my CF-150s. :D