JBL d130a n1200 original cabs. What should I offer?

Also, what are they exactly? From a console? She said her father in law bought them new a very long time ago. She said they listen to them daily and they sound good.

I know they are highly regarded but never heard them. Or bought or sold any. I’m guessing they are from the 50s but really I don’t even know what “model” these would be considered as. Any help on that, and value is greatly appreciated. Time may be of the essence.

Are there 2 of them?? They are not JBL cabinets - perhaps a JBL package of 075 tweeter, D130A woofer and the N1200 crossover network ... in a nice (pair?) of aftermarket cabinets.
There may have a been a console with a turntable, amp and tuner in the middle at one time. Do you like the way they sound?? Thats the real point.
The value is mostly in the drivers and crossovers - non-JBL cabinets have lesser value than JBL factory systems, and the crossovers have ages caps in them ... Its a fairly efficient system - meant for lower power tube amps.

There are 2 of them with glass fitted tops. I have not heard them. Cabs are matching but not original Jbl?

There are 2 of them with glass fitted tops.
I have not heard them. Cabs are matching but not original Jbl?

The raw plywood finish of the back panels is kind of a giveaway. They are not JBL factory cabinets.
JBL sold "packages" of drivers and crossovers that the hobbyist could put in home made or custom cabinets.
And some Cabinet makers would buy the driver kits and assemble them in advance for sale to furniture audio fans.
Looks like a nice cabinet, tho they could use new cloth ...

She had them on CL but quickly took them off after a bunch of replies about stripping them for cheaper and leaving her the cabs

I suppose her asking price of 450ea was probably in line with what they are worth? I am suspecting she has a little bidding war going on, although she seemed put off by the idea of splitting them up. I offered a little more than her asking price but probably wouldn’t go higher.

:beerchug:
Are there 2 of them?? They are not JBL cabinets - perhaps a JBL package of 075 tweeter, D130A woofer and the N1200 crossover network ... in a nice (pair?) of aftermarket cabinets.
There may have a been a console with a turntable, amp and tuner in the middle at one time. Do you like the way they sound?? Thats the real point.
The value is mostly in the drivers and crossovers - non-JBL cabinets have lesser value than JBL factory systems, and the crossovers have ages caps in them ... Its a fairly efficient system - meant for lower power tube amps.
Thanks for the info! Been awhile since I’ve been here. Congrats on being a mod!

Interesting. Now I guess I’m wondering what kind of monsters could I build with these parts. If I made my own cabs to Jbl specs which ones should I make for the components given? She is considering my offer.
I owned a pair of Cornwalls at one time. Would these be comparable? Am I missing anything component wise to build a top notch set of speakers? Once again my sincere thanks for anyone’s time or input in my inquiries.

Interesting. Now I guess I’m wondering what kind of monsters could I build with these parts. If I made my own cabs to Jbl specs which ones should I make for the components given? She is considering my offer.
I owned a pair of Cornwalls at one time. Would these be comparable? Am I missing anything component wise to build a top notch set of speakers? Once again my sincere thanks for anyone’s time or input in my inquiries.
There are many cabinets vintage that would work well with these that you could buy or make your own for ideas I would go to the Lansing heritage site and search and ask there because there are people there that can answer all your questions if you were here I would give you a pair of Barzilay cabinets designed for that load.

I would prefer the sound of this JBL load over the Cornwalls but it is like apples and oranges in sound so hard to say what someone else might prefer. You have all the components needed just add cabinets if you don't like these.

Regards Snow

For her asking price, it's a no brainer. Most likely the bidding war would bring the price way up though. I had a similarly configured diy setup with 375 drivers and horns. The sound was effortlessly smooth.

For her asking price, it's a no brainer. Most likely the bidding war would bring the price way up though. I had a similarly configured diy setup with 375 drivers and horns. The sound was effortlessly smooth.
Have not heard from her. I’m assuming someone offered more. Based on the amount of responses she received, she decided to remove the listing and have several guys duke it out. I gave her a number but she probably got more. I hate bidding wars lol

I often find my lot in life is to point out those are 130A, not D130A. It's printed right on the back!
Great system when the 075 is added to the 001 system, but those cabinets are not large enough for the woofers if you want them to sound the best they can. Use a C40 or C35/C37.

Back
Top Bottom