JBL D140... disassembled!

asilker

Tore this old girl apart because she had an open voice coil and some serious VC rub.
P_20170807_120747.jpg

Does anybody have a way to make sure there's no more sandy stuff in the magnet gap before I recones? The current idea is to tape off most of the gap and then vacuum through a smaller hole to get more vacuum pull.

A high pressure air nozzle will work better than suction. Although, there is the possibility it could lodge a particle in the gap if you have large particles in there.

Masking tape doubled up with the sticky side out. They tend to get particles which are magnetic, and don't come out any other way easily. It was how it was done at the factory for reconing. Also use a gap gauge to make sure it is okay.(round pin to check gap width)

Masking tape doubled up with the sticky side out. They tend to get particles which are magnetic, and don't come out any other way easily. It was how it was done at the factory for reconing. Also use a gap gauge to make sure it is okay.(round pin to check gap width)

How do you get the tape down in the gap without it sticking to the sides and possible tearing off?

How do you get the tape down in the gap without it sticking to the sides and possible tearing off?
Never had that problem, but I suppose you could use a strip of cardstock to get it out. Masking tape is not as sticky as regular tape, and requires more pressure to stick. Maybe test it in another driver to see if its a problem for you....GL

I use painters tape wrapped around a business card with the sticky side out. It works well to pull debris.

The adhesive used on painters tape is not such that it will "stick to the sides".....not worth worrying about.

Blue painters tape with a business card or the appropriately thick equivalent works great. Just use care.

Back
Top Bottom