Jbl j2050

slmsloslider

Firstly please forgive my ignorance.
Ive just bought my first piece of gear, a Marantz 2230.
Im working with a budget of pennies.
I just need to get up and running..
Ive found a pair of JBL J2050 bookcase speakers at goodwill, 15.00 dollars.
Will these give me acceptable sound?.
I don't know the terminology, but one of the domes is pushed in, not torn, just pushed in,can I just pull this out with a vacuum?
Lastly is there a text some where on speaker restoration?
Again please forgive my lack of knowlege, thanks George.

Hi & Welcome to AK Slmsloslider!
You will get many varied opinions on these speaks, but it will ultimately depend on your decision about them. Those should sound pretty nice, but not in the league of some older model JBL like the L series. Your J2050s are kin to the 2500s, which is a nice bookshelf speak.

I have some 2600s that sound pretty dog gone good to me, so let your ears be the final judge! :thmbsp:

Count the cost on the repair, it may be feasible to get some other speaks.

Rome

Seconding the JBL motion

Howdy, Simsloslider(boy,that's a mouthful..)

I, too, have JBL 2600's... a close relative of 2050's...I had them hooked up to a Pioneer SX838 for a while, gave impressive performance for a smallish bookshelf size.... normally I run with the 2600's pushed by a Marantz 2015 in conjunction with a AudioSource 10" powered sub...this works very well....

There are many posts on mashed tweeter cone repair here at AK....SEARCH!!

15.00 bux is a cool deal for JBLs, which seem to have a synergy with Marantz..the 2030 is a very well regarded unit...

I say GO FOR IT!!!!

Good luck.....later,willhowl:thmbsp:

I have a pair of the J2050 that I found for $15 as well... They are actually really nice speakers. I have them hooked to a McIntosh MAC 1900 when I want a different sound from my main system. Surprising bass for a 5" woofer.

The dustcap on the woofer is pushed in, right? The tweeters have a plastic cover to protect them.

You should be able to pull out the dustcap, just be careful with the suction and use an appropriately sized attachment to do so.

I missed these, waited too long after my research,one day, they were gone.

Now looking at KLH 24@25 bucks,AR4x@40 bucks.Will these work well with my soon to arrive M2230?

If they check out should I buy both ?

How does a sub hook up?

Live and learn.......

Oh Boy S/3....... First rule of Thrift Store shopping.....If You Like It, Buy It Right Now!!!!!....Later is too late....Research is good,but Ya shoulda already known what you were looking at....

Those JBLs would have been an excellent starter( or keeper pair) The low price, inherent JBL quality, and JBL/ Marantz mojo...... Great Combination!....as long as they were healthy, that is.

Okay, let's move on...Either the AR4x or the KLH24 are good speakers, but they are older....and may be too touchy for someone in your position.... they are relatively inefficient, and produce a laid-back, mellow sound....many people love these speakers, but you need to know what YOU like...this takes experience...

If you don't have the receiver yet, use some time for research right here.....SEARCH function is your friend....look at "West Coast vs. East Coast sound".........."What speakers for Marantz Reciever" ......

You can get a good set of speaks for under $50 bux in the thrifts, and if you don't like "em, trade,sell or give away later...

Don't mean to be harsh, but I think you need some "learnin"" on this very subjective subject, to save you money and time, frustration, and grief....

Keep at it, read lots here- it"ll be time well spent....:yes:...willhowl

P.S. Search for "powered subwoofer"... I use one with the 2015 because it is a low-powered unit (a FINE one) and sometimes I like more low end, with less strain on this 30 yr. old Baby.... W

P.P.S. Great boat in the avatar... will tell you a story about a similar boat, a 1500 mile jaunt to the Keys, and a Wasted month with 3 other would be Pirates....Right now work demands my attention...

Willhowl, thanks for the advice.Im using the search.Alot to learn and Im REALLY anxious to hear my growing lp collection, been along time since I had good sound.

I fell in love with that model of boat, Cal 20, when I was in college years ago in Southern California.Couldnt find one down here, so I bought that one in San Diego and dragged it across the country to South Florida.

Pirates you say?

Well I looked at a pair of ar4x, chewed up cabs one replaced woofer not at all like the other one, passed on these.

The guy also had a pair of klh24,cabs not to bad, looked together under the grills hooked up to an old Sony receiver with not to great reception on the tuner.

They looked ok, sounded ok given the situation.I bought them for 20 bucks with the speaker leads and plugs.

The tech says he has lots of work and my 2230 is in the que but it could be several weeks.

Im gonna refinish these cabs in the meantime, and search here for info on recapping and all that.

Zombie thread risen from the dead!
Found one today. Pathetic looking little speaker. Nice paint job though. Grill was with it but the tabs were broken. Couldn't find its mate or I would have bought them. $4.95 at the thrift store. So sad.

IMG_20181119_165032384.jpg IMG_20181119_165100916_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Those little things (well, the MR25s, but close enough) surprised the heck out of me. A couple years ago I picked up a pair from a thift shop, refoamed them, and gave them as a gift (with a TT & receiver) to my gf's sister who was looking for a starter vinyl setup. They still sound good in her small place. Good enough for her to be happy with them at least.

Zombie resurrected again! I got a pair of 2050s from the thrift store. One of them had been dropped and was cracked at the top back seam but not bad enough to rattle or leak. paid $4.20.

Gave them to my son whom I had previously given a pair of JBL 2600's. He A/B'd them and said the 2050's blew the 2600's away in the bottom end.

He kept the cracked 2050's and gave the 2600's to his buddy.

He calls them his 420's! :rockon:

I have a couple pair of these JBL's and for the pittance you can get them for nowadays, they're a very respectable small room bookshelf. I've heard 2600's and while I'm not sure the 2050's would "blow" them away with bass, what I DO know is that the mids are much more forward and full with the 2600's.

Still, with the right powered sub, the 2050's can put out some nice sounds :)

"Blow them away" comes from a 19 year old who calls them "420's" so ...

Given a choice between 2600's and 2050's he picked the 2050's

Plus he's a bass player. And a damn good one! ;)

BTW there are 2 pairs of 2600's on CL around here. One for $60 and another for $100 so somebody thinks they are worth something.

I recently found my JBL 2050’s in my storage unit, hooked them up to my HK 800+ receiver as the front speakers with KLH 911b’s for the rear speakers , ( if you’re not familiar with the HK 800+, it’s a quadraphonic receiver that has an enhanced stereo setting ), pleased with the sound , but could use more bottom end, thinking about adding a powered subwoofer, any thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated. Also looking at a set of Bose 301’s, any opinions on those ?. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom