Jbl junkie

Hey Joe glad to have you aboard here is my event JBL find. 4638 bass bin 2446H horn driver and 8340 surround. I will putting a cherry veneer in the bins to pretty them up

Attachments

• unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 42
NICE find, Mr. Vintage. Can you tell us a little about the circumstances that led you to your JBLs?

And, welcome to AK.

GeeDeeEmm

Hey Joe glad to have you aboard here is my event JBL find. 4638 bass bin 2446H horn driver and 8340 surround. I will putting a cherry veneer in the bins to pretty them up
Nice find....what are you going to drive them with? How big is your room?

Hey Joe, welcome aboard!

What are your thoughts on the Altec "Big Red" studio monitors?
It was a coaxial a bit smaller than the Model 17. Like JBL, Altec almost always built a more home environment friendly version of the recording studio version. The 17 was sort of the home Red. I didn't run into them to often. Studios that used reds usually for some reason also used big Tannoys. I guess a yin yang thing.

@ bowtie427ss -

I think you’re confused the 9849-8B with the 9849-8E and 9849-8A.

The 9849-8B is exactly the same as the 9849-8D, except for the cabinet finish; 9849-8B in utility grey paint, while 9849-8D in oiled wood veneer. Both have same alnico motors, same drivers and horn, at least from published Altec literature.

9849-8E is the later speaker that has the ferrite motors.

Last edited:
Hi Joe. I have a pair of 2269 that from T/S seems to be suitable for an OB sub. My question is what extension can I expect from them with or without eq? I want to pair them with my Acoustat Monitor 3 which are dead flat to 30hz but drop off a cliff after that. I'm thinking with the 2269 in OB I'll get the speed to mesh nicely with the ESLs and hopefully extend them into sensational territory. TIA

FWIW, the "8B" version was the final iteration of the 9849, followed the discontinuation of the model 15 circa 1979, and were produced into the mid 1980's.

The 9849 monitor was introduced 1970 ish as the 9849A. It used a foam roll surround woofer similar to or the same as the woofer that would be used in the earliest examples of the model 9 and model 15. The 9849A used a sealed/infinite baffle alignment, and a 900hz XO frequency.

Around 72-73 the design would be heavily revised with one of Altec's first "ducted port" cabinets specifically sized and tuned for the 414-8B woofer with a totally re-designed crossover network incorporating a Zobel and shifting the crossover knee point up to 1500hz. The revised model would be 9849-8A, and would soon be offered in a furniture grade oiled oak veneered cabinet as 9849-8D. IMO, the alnico 414 offers about the best midrange you can get from an Altec, and the 9849-8A/D demonstrates it well. I have a pair and enjoy them a great deal. I also have 14's and 15's.

The 9849-8B was introduced at the cessation of alnico driver production. It uses a ferrite 902-8T HF driver, and a ferrite 414-8E LF driver. It uses the same crossover that was designed for the earlier alnico drivers with no modifications or revisions that i'm aware of. The newer ferrite drivers have more powerful motors. In the HF driver this translates to an upward shifter frequency response and yields a bit more HF extension. However, the 902 has a 7/8 inch aperture, and the 32 horn a 1 inch throat. It's a "slap" job. The ferrite 414 woofer because of it's more powerful motor requires several db of EQ in the lower octaves to equal the low end response of the alnico 414's. It's far better suited as a mid bass driver than a woofer with it's huge motor.

I'm sure you meant Mastering Labs Big Red monitors. Altec did not build Big Reds.
Like your AK name...l have 70 Nova with a blown 765cid bbc.

Hi Joe. I have a pair of 2269 that from T/S seems to be suitable for an OB sub. My question is what extension can I expect from them with or without eq? I want to pair them with my Acoustat Monitor 3 which are dead flat to 30hz but drop off a cliff after that. I'm thinking with the 2269 in OB I'll get the speed to mesh nicely with the ESLs and hopefully extend them into sensational territory. TIA
I am not a proponent of subs. IMO if your mains go down to 30 why mess with something that's not broken. Especially with the speakers you mentioned integration is a major concern. How much music do you listen to that go down past 30hz anyway

Welcome Joe.
Do you have any thoughts on JBL's use of bypass caps in crossovers?

I only own L46's, but they will stay with me.

I am not a proponent of subs. IMO if your mains go down to 30 why mess with something that's not broken. Especially with the speakers you mentioned integration is a major concern. How much music do you listen to that go down past 30hz anyway
Yeah, not sure about that. I read a lot about diy builds getting down to low 20's with eq. I just think I'm missing something. When I used the word 'sensational', I meant it literally; that sound you don't hear, but feel. I get that already. I have 2 Velodyne 12" powered subs I use with the Acoustats which I like. I have no idea whether they accurately extend bass to their 26hz bottom end but I have them attenuated to where they sound correct. At a live venue, bass seems to travel through your body much more so I'm thinking I'm not getting the extension that's possible.

Nice find....what are you going to drive them with? How big is your room?
Good evening Joe
I’ll be driving my big JBL’s with three Yamaha P2200 which I bought new in 1978 and have been working fantastic since new. I will be using my Nikko Beta 30 preamp hooked into my DBX 260 Drive Rack for my XO. I also have a pair Beyma CP/40 mid horn I may add to the mix. But your experience in this matter might give me another direction. I found my 4638bins-2446H and 3840 surrounds in like new shape 8-9 out of 10 on kijiji for $800.00. For the works. Although they’re huge I couldn’t pass up the deal. Buy first figure out what to do with them later. I also have a vintage Bose system 1801 power amp 4401 preamp and 901 MKII I also have a few different pieces Marantz, technics, dual, Denon, Teac, Revox, Rotel, Axiom, celection Dinton, klipsch Heresy’s, cerwin Vega. My wife says it’s a sickness and I hope there’s no cure
Shane

Kinda my bad for posting the sales slick as well. The point being that Altec's literature is somewhat notorious for inaccuracies. As well Altec had a tendency to make revisions and changes without notation or publication. That slick is pretty accurate AFAIK.

Thanks!

I like your car!

Please tell me it's red or black. :)

No muscle cars here for many years now. I live in upstate NY, the season too short and cost too high anymore.
Orange. Here it is.5,000 horsepower .5.964 1/4 mile

Attachments

• sucp_0808_01_z+supercharged_1969_chevy_nova+front_view.jpg
    sucp_0808_01_z+supercharged_1969_chevy_nova+front_view.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 47
  • sucp_0808_06_z+supercharged_1969_chevy_nova+engine.jpg
    sucp_0808_06_z+supercharged_1969_chevy_nova+engine.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 46
Kinda my bad for posting the sales slick as well. The point being that Altec's literature is somewhat notorious for inaccuracies. As well Altec had a tendency to make revisions and changes without notation or publication. That slick is pretty accurate AFAIK.

Thanks!

I like your car!

Please tell me it's red or black. :)

No muscle cars here for many years now. I live in upstate NY, the season too short and cost too high anymore.
I'm in Staten Island but the beast resides in Las Vegas. And it's regustered with plates.

Yeah, not sure about that. I read a lot about diy builds getting down to low 20's with eq. I just think I'm missing something. When I used the word 'sensational', I meant it literally; that sound you don't hear, but feel. I get that already. I have 2 Velodyne 12" powered subs I use with the Acoustats which I like. I have no idea whether they accurately extend bass to their 26hz bottom end but I have them attenuated to where they sound correct. At a live venue, bass seems to travel through your body much more so I'm thinking I'm not getting the extension that's possible.
Live venues say like MSG use over 150,000 watts of power plus sub harmonic synthesizers. So what you are hearing is not always what is real. But if its the visceral punch your after subs are the way to go.

I'm in Staten Island but the beast resides in Las Vegas. And it's regustered with plates.
You're in Staten Island!
There's a gathering at AKer supercool, Chris's house Sunday April 15th. It would be good to meet you and for you to meet a bunch of great AK guys! There will be some demo systems, as well as stuff for sale.
There's a thread in Events & Happenings.
Glenn

Isn't it also a matter of enough speaker surface area to pressurize the room?. Keep adding subs until the tingle starts. lol

How bout that run
You're in Staten Island!
There's a gathering at AKer supercool, Chris's house Sunday April 15th. It would be good to meet you and for you to meet a bunch of great AK guys! There will be some demo systems, as well as stuff for sale.
There's a thread in Events & Happenings.
Glenn
Glenn let me know where it is l would be honored to attend.

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_210256_560.jpg
    IMG_20180109_210256_560.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom