Jbl L-65 cab plans

KenP

Searched the net and couldn't find good information so I thought I'd check the database of experts here. Are there plans available for the l65, I'd like to build a set of clones and want exact measurements of the cabs and internal bracing.

Thanks

The only thing I found there was a poorly hand drawn picture without all the dimensions or driver locations. Most of the drawing are of larger pro systems.

There's no bracing in the L65 so don't worry about that end of it. Had a single cab here up until last week. :(

The outside dimensions are easy enough to get its the small details that I need, et glass dimensions and depth, small piece that runs along the top front, driver placement, input connection placement. Stuff like this, small stuff that you don't think of.

Look at Google Images and scale up the front and back dimensions

The only thing I found there was a poorly hand drawn picture without all the dimensions or driver locations. Most of the drawing are of larger pro systems.
That was my handiwork!

If I recall, the OP in that thread needed a few critical dimensions and details, and I attempted to sketch them out. I wasn't at all proud or satisfied with my effort, so I brought my empty L65 cab to my architect brother to have him do a proper CAD rendering... and he's yet to come through.

I'll get it back soon and draw up some better measurements. My hesitation rests in the fact that I don't know proper conventions and how much detail is useful.

I mean, I can measure the depth of a dado and it's either 3/8" or 23/64" depending on which glasses I wear. Which is right or which is more useful? And side panel thicknesses with the micrometer several times in different places shows more measurements closer to 0.72" than 0.75". Does that mean it's a 3/4" board? Do I draw plans as if the board really is 3/4"? Then the top, bottom, front and back don't fit right unless adjustments are made to the depths of the dados and rabbets or something.

Solving these issues on the fly is probably second nature to people more experienced in working with wood. And likewise, designers like my brother probably have solved these types of problems many times. Maybe I just over analyze things...

What I'm ultimately hoping for is a set of plans detailed enough that I can email them to cabinet makers and wood shops and get quotes for them to cut the pieces. And this is all for the purpose of reversing the front baffle on one speaker. I've never liked the non-mirror imaged aspect of the L65. I probably only imagine that the imaging is compromised, but with a mirror imaged pair, that possibility will be eliminated.

The outside dimensions are easy enough to get its the small details that I need, et glass dimensions and depth, small piece that runs along the top front, driver placement, input connection placement. Stuff like this, small stuff that you don't think of.
Many weeks ago I began measuring and sketching some some of these details, but gave up when the big picture wasn't coming together well.

I'll try and get some good pix of the corners and joints and openings and mark up photos with actual measurements.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of your previous work, it is appreciated. It would be great if you could take pictures with actual dimensions. I would think that 1/16" of an inch would be the greatest degree of detail that would be needed.

Machinist usually work in thousands of inches or.001" of precision but wood working not quite the same and since 1/16 is .0625" you can drive yourself nuts with the very small calculations.

Huh, there's been an empty L65 cabinet on my local CL for weeks. Reckon that is not a lot of help to you up there, though.

There's been a couple on eBay for $99 but with shipping and exchange and all the fees it would be almost $300. I thought of it but nixed the idea.

Unless you already have access to a very nice wood shop $300 sounds pretty reasonable (assuming only refinishing required).

Do you already have all the drivers? Just curious...

I feel compelled to ask: Why the interest in the L65? Granted, it's a pretty box, but is it the sound you want? Have you heard a pair? Just curious. Might explain why there's no interest in plans for building them while the 4-way monitor get all the attention.

I feel compelled to ask: Why the interest in the L65? Granted, it's a pretty box... .

I'm guessing the larger 4-way monitors have always been out of reach, price wise, for many people and DIY has been a popular alternative, while the L65 has historically been pretty easy to find in the hundreds of dollars range. L65 asking prices have topped 4-digits for a few years now, so it seems the time has come for it to be a viable project for many.

That, and the coolness of the 077. Which also sounds fantastic.

Going with the philosophy that Done is better than Perfect, in the next few hours I'll start uploading some images to this thread of the joinery marked up with measurements.

Like I mentioned above, I really wanted to produce something fantastic, and that may still come. In the meantime I hope these are useful.

I'm guessing the larger 4-way monitors have always been out of reach, price wise, for many people and DIY has been a popular alternative, while the L65 has historically been pretty easy to find in the hundreds of dollars range. L65 asking prices have topped 4-digits for a few years now, so it seems the time has come for it to be a viable project for many.

That, and the coolness of the 077. Which also sounds fantastic.

Without putting a damper on your enthusiasm or energy:

The 077 has a lot to do with the value of the L65 in that an L65 pair can be parted out and costs nearly recovered in the value of the UHF driver alone. That doesn't necessarily make the system a good candidate for cloning. Perhaps it means exactly the opposite!
I must have missed your answer to the question about the L65: Have you ever heard a pair?

Just thinking you could be devoting your time and energy to a much higher cause at only a fraction of an increase in cost.

Back
Top Bottom