Jbl L100 squashed tweeter dust caps - best results?

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
I've read about the various methods recommended for pulling out dust caps. For this thread I'm looking for what methods L100 owners have had the best results with for repairing their LE20/LE25 tweeter dust caps. I've got four to repair.

A0DC1711-BBF7-481D-9A54-F484189B1733.jpeg

I got pretty good results dabbing mine with a water-soaked Q-tip, then vacuuming it with a very narrow tip on my vacuum. It took me several hours to get one of them looking virtually new. It was pretty much smooshed flat when I started.

After that, it was a bit lighter than the surrounding cone, having been soaked so many times. With some graphite powder on a damp Q-tip, I was able to darken it to match the rest of the cone. It looks almost perfect now.

Alternatively, you can buy new center caps from Simply Speakers, cut off the old ones, and glue the new ones over the remnants of the old ones. I’ve tried that, too, and it looked pretty good, but it never seemed quite right to cut up the old cap.

I wonder if my method of using a Hair dryer to heat up the center cap and using a thin straight screwdriver to remove the Cap's would work...
IMG_20180529_125105001.jpg
I dampened the inside of the dust cap and did the method pictued above to bring back the shape... maybe you could come up with a small alternative..marble and ?

Back
Top Bottom