JBL L110 incoming.

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Just won a pair of JBL L110 as part of an online auction. They don't look too bad, hopefully they can be rescued..

IMG_2576.jpg IMG_2581.jpg

The cabinets all look restorable. But don’t sand to much on the veneer. The grills can be recovered but how are the drivers?

The cabinets all look restorable. But don’t sand to much on the veneer. The grills can be recovered but how are the drivers?

No idea on the drivers unfortunately. They have been in storage 15+ years and the present owner / seller has no ability to test them. Bit of a blind buy here but including the Onkyo amp and Sony CDP I suppose $50 is reasonable.

wow very good deal. L110 are very good JBl speakers I think you'll enjoy them. Hope there's not too mich needed to get them going.

Yeah I can probably make back what I spent by selling the Onkyo amp - I really don't need another amp right now. I will give the Sony changer to charity probably and then evaluate the speakers.

I purchased a pair last year but they had the wrong bass speakers that I knew about going in. It took a while and a fair expense to get the original model bass speakers but it was worth it. The cabinets were perfect but I changed the grill fabric because i wanted a different color. Doubt I’ll ever sell them.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the driver load is correct at least. If the cabinets are going to be a lot of work then I may just tidy them up and keep them in my rig, rather than looking to flip them.

I will look at reworking the crossovers too once I've evaluated the condition of the drivers.

Nice find, I've had a few sets of the 110's and 110A's. Some of JBL's best small speakers. Do you know if you landed the "A" or non "A"? The A has a different crossover, and different low pass driver.

The "A" uses the LE10-H and the standard uses the LE10-A.

Note that they are "Mid-Bass" drivers, so a sub may be needed in the event you are looking for super low end freq.

Getting them off the ground a 6" to a foot helps. :)

congrats man!

I'm not sure whether A or none A - they are located in Auckland so the seller is holding them for me until I get up there in a couple of weeks

I'm not sure whether A or none A - they are located in Auckland so the seller is holding them for me until I get up there in a couple of weeks

I recently let a set go roughly 3-4months back.

I was running a set of the A's for years, traded them to a fellow AKer for an amp a back in 2014.

One way of telling if the are "A" would be to check the serial number, it will have a "A" stamped after the serial. Kind rare actually, hope for you sake they are. :)

I let go of my last set of 110's to keep my L26's in the spot. (Small space, but lots of gear)...

If you like the 110's, you should give a set of 26's a listen.

Kind Regards,
John

I recently let a set go roughly 3-4months back.

I was running a set of the A's for years, traded them to a fellow AKer for an amp a back in 2014.

One way of telling if the are "A" would be to check the serial number, it will have a "A" stamped after the serial. Kind rare actually, hope for you sake they are. :)

I let go of my last set of 110's to keep my L26's in the spot. (Small space, but lots of gear)...

If you like the 110's, you should give a set of 26's a listen.

Kind Regards,
John

Hi John, I would listen to the 26 given the chance but my location on the planet limits my options somewhat ! Funnily enough, on our auction site, there is a pair of L36 Decades - it's quite unusual for two pairs of vintage JBL to appear within days of each other. The 36 are pricey though, starting bid is $260 NZD but they do look to be in very nice condition.

Hi John, I would listen to the 26 given the chance but my location on the planet limits my options somewhat ! Funnily enough, on our auction site, there is a pair of L36 Decades - it's quite unusual for two pairs of vintage JBL to appear within days of each other. The 36 are pricey though, starting bid is $260 NZD but they do look to be in very nice condition.

I've not yet gotten to listen to the L36, i did just recently finish a set of the Decade 16s. I really like them, more than the L19/4301Bs. (Pix below)

The 110s will do you well, the build quality is fantastic. A very ridged cabinet. Great drivers, a fine set of speakers. :)

IMG_5905.JPG

The drivers in the pics do look right, for what that's worth. Should be LE-111A (AlNiCo) in the first version. The A version has the H woofer which is the ferrite magnet.

Not selling mine, I did pass along the L-166's though. And the L-40's.

The drivers in the pics do look right, for what that's worth. Should be LE-111A (AlNiCo) in the first version. The A version has the H woofer which is the ferrite magnet.

Not selling mine, I did pass along the L-166's though. And the L-40's.

I liked the 110's over the 166's as well. I think the 26's and the 16's are my all time fav "bookshelf" style JBL.

If you like the 110's you should try to find a set of the 4401's. I had a set paired together for a good while. They do well together.

I liked the 110's over the 166's as well. I think the 26's and the 16's are my all time fav "bookshelf" style JBL.

If you like the 110's you should try to find a set of the 4401's. I had a set paired together for a good while. They do well together.

Finding 4401 here in NZ would be literally finding a needle in a hay stack. The market here is just so tiny, good stuff does surface occasionally but then there's a feeding frenzy for it.

I guess I got lucky with these L110's because the auction was for an amp, CD player and a speaker. I enquired if the seller had the other speaker and he said yes but it got damp so he was drying it out. He also didn't list the speaker brand in the auction - that always deters the keyword searchers !

Nice grab!
Of course we expect lots of pics, and I hope the "damp" cab isn't to badly damaged.

Cheers, Glenn

Nice grab!
Of course we expect lots of pics, and I hope the "damp" cab isn't to badly damaged.

Cheers, Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Yep pics will be coming up once I have the speakers retrieved from Auckland. Might be a couple of weeks but they will get here.

I've got some unknown model Advents incoming today from a contact so more about those in a separate thread :)

Finding 4401 here in NZ would be literally finding a needle in a hay stack. The market here is just so tiny, good stuff does surface occasionally but then there's a feeding frenzy for it.

I guess I got lucky with these L110's because the auction was for an amp, CD player and a speaker. I enquired if the seller had the other speaker and he said yes but it got damp so he was drying it out. He also didn't list the speaker brand in the auction - that always deters the keyword searchers !

I keep forgetting your location. :)

well good on you for snagging the 110's, hope you really love them!

The L110 uses a LE111a I can't remember if they have both Alnico and Ferrite "H" versions. Black pulp paper cone with white AquaPlas on the back of the cone. Not your typical JBL sounding bookshelf IMHO. Very refined voicing and not too much bass. The grilles are plastic two piece frames. The key to recovering tnem is to carefully split the bond by laying them face down on the work bench and using a utility knife positioned between the inner and outer frame pieces. Also, when you remove the cast JBL badge from the original cloth, before you split the frame pieces and remove the cloth, take a perfectly square Post it sized piece of paper and place it in the corner of the grille frame and either mark it with a pencil, or punch through the paper using the original hole as the guide This will allow for a perfect repositioning of the badge. Nice score!

Back
Top Bottom