JBL L112's are Studio Moniters ?

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
My wife was telling her co-worker that we have some JBL 112's . Her co-worker said that his Dad worked for JBL and that the 112's were Studio Monitors and should not be in the home . I looked in the JBL brochure that I have and it is in the Home Speaker section . Are they monitors or did JBL make a similar speaker to the L112 that was a studio monitor ?

First, the L112 is not a studio monitor, it is a consumer speaker. I don't believe that JBL EVER produced an L-series speaker as a monitor, usually at that time they were 43xx, 44xx eventually replaced by the LSR series. Many JBL consumer speakers are based on their monitors, which means that you get the engineering of the monitors in a pretty package for home, win-win. I have two pair of consumer speakers also: L100 and L20t which are both consumer versions of monitors, my 4312As are monitors, but mine have the walnut veneer option (very common) which JBL added because they were so popular as home-audio speakers.

I have and have had many studio monitors in my home, the idea of flat speakers that are accurate and are exactly what the Engineer intended the music to sound like has appealed to me for a long time. Why anyone who's "Dad worked for JBL" would have any credibility as a reference I don't know, ... my Brother has been JBL Pro for decades and enjoys my JBL Monitors (actual monitors) as well as his personal Altec and Yamaha monitors as home speakers, ... so hearsay for hearsay.

Are there speakers out there that are not based on monitors that sound better? Sure, just a matter of preference and budget.

The L112 was the home version; the 4411 was the studio monitor version. Basically, the L112 has a prettier grille cover than the 4411. (For a similar duo, see the L100 and the 4310/11/12.)

My friend has 4411s in her living room, yet somehow her house has yet to explode. ;)

I've had a pair of L112s in my bedroom since purchasing them new around 36-years ago. I also own a pair of 4345 and 4412As which are actual Studio Monitors from JBL. I enjoy all of them in my home. I suspect son-of-JBL-employee has a tin ear or lousy source material. Perhaps his father worked in shipping-and-receiving, or maybe accounting?

Back
Top Bottom