JBL L200 Studio Masters-Pics

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Today was awesome! AKer freddymac2 contacted me about these about a month ago, asking if I knew anyone that would want them, for free! Yes, FREE! Pfffhhh, well of course I know someone!

Joe had to wait a bit on the original owner, who I believe was a doctor, and purchased these when he was in college, to get them from the owners house, and he delivered them today! Thanks Joe! You're awesome!

They will need cab restoration, unfortunately they served as plant tabletops, and original foam grills and badges are long gone. Some black grill fabric was scotch taped to the original metal frames, which look perfect, cloth will be eventually tossed. The woofers are very clean and surrounds look perfect. The plastic lenses are also perfect, but dusty. Overall they need a good cleaning, they've been sitting for years.

I'll run an extension cord to the garage, (no power) with an amp, and see how they sound, good or bad. I've personally always liked the design of these with the open fabric side vents.
They will stay in my garage as the cave is full of kitchen stuff while it's being remoddled. Also a better place to start the cab sanding and restoration.

I've done some preliminary reading about them, their sound and sound short comings, and the many upgrade mods ect....
This will be a slow, take my time restoration. They are big, my wife was watching as Joe & I lifted them into the garage. "To big for any of our rooms" she said, clearly establishing that immediately! They are heavier than my 910's! About 125lbs, 910’s 100lbs.
So here's some pics as they arrived. As always, all comments, grill and badge sources (if grill repros are even available) suggestions and advice are appreciated.

Cheers, Glenn
IMG_5905.jpg IMG_5906.jpg IMG_5907.jpg IMG_5908.jpg IMG_5910.jpg IMG_5911.jpg IMG_5912.jpg IMG_5913.jpg IMG_5914.jpg IMG_5915.jpg

Last edited:
Hey man,

Another congratulations! They kinda remind me of my Altec Valencia project, but I don't see any black mold and water damage to your cabinets. Hooyah! These should be a breeze.

xo, Biggles

You are correct, simply awesome, and the price of admission was like icing on the cake! Congratulations on obtaining your next project and I'm looking forward to following along during their restoration. :thumbsup:
When Joe messaged me he had them and wanted to drop them off as soon as possible, I was pretty excited to say the least!
These will be fun to restore, I hope!

Hey man,

Another congratulations! They kinda remind me of my Altec Valencia project, but I don't see any black mold and water damage to your cabinets. Hooyah! These should be a breeze.

xo, Biggles
Hey Guy!

Yes, thank god! They were stored in the owners basement, but seems it was dry. Just a bit musty smelling, but not bad. Only moisture damage is to the tops from plant pots. Once they are sanded, we'll see what needs to be done.
The risers looked pretty good as well. If these had a big mold problem, I'd part them out and get rid of the cabs. Not messing with major black mold.

Glenn

Thanks all.
This wouldn't have happened if not for Joe!

Not much will happen for the next 3 weeks or so, between the kitchen renovation and a big freelance project. I will give them a listen as soon as possible. Can't wait!

Nice Glenn. good luck with the L200's. Enjoy the work on the restoration. Will look forward to see how they turn out.

Yes those are definitely worth the price you paid! Actually looks mostly superficial on the outside.. As for the grill, just get a window bug screen made up (using aluminum screen) as that is exactly what JBL used. There is a guy in Michigan, http://foamspeakergrilles.com/prices__ordering that makes really nice foam grills that are difficult to tell apart from the originals..

As for mods, the sky is the limit on these beasties! My route has taken me to add 077 tweeters, new diaphragms and foam in the LE85's, new crossover mounted under the speaker. For the same reasons of someone setting a drink or a plant on mine, I had smoked glass tops made for the top.. Some (including me) has said that these are great old speakers but the woofers were a compromise so last but not least, replacing the LE15B's with JBL 2216ND1's which are the same as what is in the JBL4367. These were a 10 minute swap, even the screws lined up perfectly.. This has been in itself a total game changer, and I still have quite a bit of work to do on the xovers. The clarity, the deep bass has been nothing short of astounding!

Here are a few pictures of mine as of this morning.. I would Hi 5 you, but you are just too far away! As for WAF, I put my foot down, and bargained quite a bit, but the L200's are staying!

Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

That Neodium thing?? Now THATS a woofer!
When I put mine together a few years back, Zilch recommended I go to Home Depot and get a pipe plug to fill one of the 2 ports on the front. Basically its a pair of big washers just a bit smaller than the hole with a carriage bolt and nut between them. Tighten down the nut on the front with a socket and ratchet until the rubber in between swells out and seals that port. In the picture below, its the port to the right. I painted the washer on the front of mine flat black so it was hard to see (shiney silver metal otherwise)

Closing the one port changes the box tuning - I thought it was an improvement.

Over time I also went with a custom Walnut Smith horn on top and a 2 inch mid driver - sounded better than the original internal horn and 2420 driver
(but the internal horn/driver is nice for SAF/WAF).

L200_5730.jpg

Last edited:
I have restored a pair of L-200s. My tops were so badly stained that sanding would only take you down to the MDF before the stains were gone. To that end, I ordered some walnut veneer and re-did the tops. Careful selection of oils blended the old with the new to the point that I forgot that I had redone them.

Anyway, it would also be nice to get into the XOvers and have a look-see.

Look nice when they are done. Have fun.

Wayner

Congrats!!!

Yup, looks like new veneer for sure - not that hard to do though.
I also have the Michigan grill foams - they are Identical to New.

See my write up on the neodiddlium 2216 ND-1's here:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....l-2216-le15b-vs-jbl-2216nd-1-in-l200s.830641/
Alobar and I are just gob-smacked at how these woofs totally remake these speakers, even smoothing out the horn 'harshness'!

Heather: Yes! Scott keeps telling me to consider Smith Horns for mine...he still has his L300 clones, after all, and is now looking at ND-1s for those!! :) He's dying to compare mine and/or his upgraded 300s to his M2 clones, and thinks it's quite possible they are a bit more 'musical'. I've measured mine as pretty much flat to 20hz already - no EQ needed at all.
(See my comments in the above thread about port tuning, too.)
I swear these are THE best way to get to near TOTL JBLs !!
"You're gonna love the way they sound"
<Big Grin>

I have restored a pair of L-200s. My tops were so badly stained that sanding would only take you down to the MDF before the stains were gone. To that end, I ordered some walnut veneer and re-did the tops. Careful selection of oils blended the old with the new to the point that I forgot that I had redone them.

Anyway, it would also be nice to get into the XOvers and have a look-see.

Look nice when they are done. Have fun.

Wayner
Hey Wayner,
Once I get into these, there will be lots of pics.
Once the cabs are sanded, I'll be able to see how bad or ok the veneer is, and take it from there.
Cheers, Glenn

Back
Top Bottom