JBL L20t3 veneer

Well they suck sound wise if you ask me similar to a Bose 901 in the respect that the woofer is trying to cover part of the mid range and the HF horn does not play very high also trying to do part of the mid range job. I think the woofer in these were only used in these speakers so replacements are next to impossible to find. The 100T3 and 80T3 were both much better speakers sound wise so yes I think your assessment is spot on.

They sold for quite a bit more then the 100T3 so that coupled with the no highs or lows sales were very slow so very few were ever produced in fact they are likely the most rare of any JBL speaker so for a collector they are a must have for a listener they are one to avoid.

Regards Snow
Thank you Snow. I have 15 pairs of speakers now, so collecting more for collecting sake is out for for a while. I will check that one off.

I guess we all hear things differently, or the rooms effect their sound. I like the open spacious sound, the highs are clear and definded, bass has a good kick to it. They are my main speakers and I am very happy with them.

I guess we all hear things differently, or the rooms effect their sound. I like the open spacious sound, the highs are clear and definded, bass has a good kick to it. They are my main speakers and I am very happy with them.
That may well be but what have you compared them too? I am pretty sure if you compared them to either the L80T3 or L100T3 you would prefer either of them over the L200T3's the L200T3's only play down to 42hz at best and a max of 20khz for the highs even the L80T3 specs are better at 40hz to 27khz and the L100T3 at 35hz to 27khz

Regards Snow

Last edited:
They look great! Yours are L20T3 because they are rear-ported where the original L20T was front-ported. Different wood, same drivers, slight change in crossovers.

Here's an old photo from Heather comparing the two:
attachment.php

Almost. The L20T originally came with the 035Ti, where all L20T3s came with the 035Tia.

I have read that some of the late L20T came with 035Tia but I have not seen any, mine all have the Ti, and none with the later vented 035Ti (yet). My brochure also specifies the 035Ti with all of the L20/60/80/100T series.

Personally I prefer the L20T, I use mine as office speakers and they're close to the wall, which I can't do with rear-ported (L20T3) very well, only reason. Excellent sounding speakers though, a significant step better than my L15s in both high and low-end performance (but I miss white aquaplas).

That may well be but what have you compared them too? I am pretty sure if you compared them to either the L80T3 or L100T3 you would prefer either of them over the L200T3's the L200T3's only play down to 42hz at best and a max of 20khz for the highs even the L80T3 specs are better at 40hz to 27khz and the L100T3 at 35hz to 27khz
Who can hear above 20k, I think this discussion belongs in another place not to take over this thread. Sorry I like these speakers, my other reference are my L166's new in 1977.

Regards Snow

Almost. The L20T originally came with the 035Ti, where all L20T3s came with the 035Tia.
That's true but the only difference between the two that I can tell is the location of the terminals which makes then not quite an exact interchange without a minor baffle adjustment.

Who can hear above 20k, I think this discussion belongs in another place not to take over this thread. Sorry I like these speakers, my other reference are my L166's new in 1977.
Sorry to offend you. I was asked by member 314carpenter what my opinion was in relation to the other speakers in the T3 lineup so gave my honest opinion. The 200T3's are super rare which makes them a very desirable speaker to own no matter what my opinion on the sound is.

Regards Snow

That's true but the only difference between the two that I can tell is the location of the terminals which makes then not quite an exact interchange without a minor baffle adjustment.

The 035Ti has a copper coil, and the early ones have a solid dome. Late 035Ti has a vented dome (looks like a pinhole, just inside of the 2nd ring)

The 035Tia has an aluminum coil (copper clad), with the vent. The terminals are moved, and there are centering tabs for assembly.

The 035Ti has a copper coil, and the early ones have a solid dome. Late 035Ti has a vented dome (looks like a pinhole, just inside of the 2nd ring)

The 035Tia has an aluminum coil (copper clad), with the vent. The terminals are moved, and there are centering tabs for assembly.
Thanks for the information. I just pulled the grilles off an L7, L80T and L20T and can't really determine any visual differences in the dome. I also pulled the grille from an 4412A and the 052ti has a smooth dome.

On the 035Tia and late 035Ti the vent hole is very small, difficult to see. You can see it as more of a small point on the surface as it appears to have been pierced from the inside of the dome.

The 052Ti is a bit different. From what I can gather, it is (post Harman acquisition) less expensive to produce without the diamond pattern in the dome, but there is one improvement: the motor assembly is cored so that the damping foam is a tall column instead of the foam pellet that is under the 035 series (only an improvement until the foam degrades though). The 052 also went back to the less expensive copper voice coil. The 035Ti had the diamond pattern as a necessary design element, later the pinhole vent as an improvement, and finally the lighter coil as an improvement, ... it shouldn't be much of a surprise that these improvements were rolled back for the 4400 series when the cabinets were significantly cheapened, L-pads removed, ports changed to a cheap molded port, and grille frames changed to a flimsy molded plastic with extremely fragile pins.

Fortunately the 4412A benefits greatly from the improved woofer and completely re-designed crossover to have much less phase distortion and a much flatter frequency curve, and is no longer driving the woofer full-range like its earlier brethren. I much prefer the sound that the 4412A produces to the (prettier) 4312A.

I noticed that the information on my 4412A and 4410A (052Ti) "data sheet" specifies the 035Tia (DR8035Tia) is a recommended replacement diaphragm for the 052Ti but "must be replaced in pairs".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom