JBL L26 (LE25 Tweeter) question

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jobrewer1983, Mar 1, 2018.

1. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi all,

Snagged a nice set of L26s today, going to be restoring them. Have a few questions I'm hoping someone on the site can assist with.

1. Are all LE25 foam rings the same? I see all sorts of different ones online... foam, neoprene.. what is the diff If any.

2. Is there a set screw behind the badge holding the crossover in place, and If not how can they be removed? Wanting to swap out the cap.

IMG_3424.JPG IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    John

Whitebear15 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jobrewer1983

3. bobins08

bobins08 AK Subscriber Subscriber

My brother had a set of L26’s back in the day. Always liked them.

I would post these questions in the Speaker Forum. Once you pull the woofer and get a light and mirror in there you should see how to remove the crossover.

I recall seeing several L26 rebuild threads there. Lots of JBL fans too.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  4. jobrewer1983

I've always thought they were the "low end" JBL myself, now that I have my hands on them I can say I was way off, cabinet construction is on par with very L series... have a few sets of JBL and i actually like the looks of the 26s over the 4401s.

All the reviews I've read have been good as well, it's going to be rainin all weekend here so I may start the cabinet work.

I did find original JBL foam rings for the LE25s made by JBL. :) and ordered the surrounds for the 125As, I'm on the hunt for good quality caps. About to order some quality binding posts. This set should look and sound great. :)

bobins08 likes this.
  5. bobins08

They are not low end. They are the sweet spot of the mid 70’s decade series of L16, L26, and L36. I think you will like them.

galactus2 and jobrewer1983 like this.
  6. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Hands Off The Stereo Subscriber

IMG_0407.JPG
    These should do the job buddy. For ADS tweeters if memory serves. But has correct JBL look and opening width I do believe.

jobrewer1983 likes this.

7. jobrewer1983

Hey NFS,

I found original JBL made ones actually! :)

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  8. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

My favorite 10" two way speaker ever. They just do so many things right.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  9. jobrewer1983

The new rings should be in today, so I hope I get to start the work on the set.

I ordered some nice binding posts, and now need to figure out what caps I want to use on this set.

Kind Regards,
    john

10. tarior

The last pair of L-26 that I refurbed, I used Jantzen Z-Standard caps with .1uF film and foil ( I may have sprung for Thetas) bypass caps, and they sounded fantastic.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  11. jobrewer1983

12. tarior

Six of one, half dozen of the other. If you like the look of the Mundorfs, buy those. The price difference is pretty minimal, especially considering that PE is kinda spendy on shipping.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  13. jobrewer1983

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG
    Got the foam rings in today, just got them done. :)

Need to pull the small dent out of the 2nd one.

galactus2 likes this.
  14. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Another note: And this applies to JBL vintage speakers, Great Plains Audio is a name worth knowing. They're beginning to support JBL classics as well as Altec Lansing classics. And the knowledge base for both.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  15. jobrewer1983

Ordered my new caps, ordered a few different ones to play with. Ordered a set of the Mcap Evo Oil caps. 8.2uf

Also some eBay 8uf caps, made by "Audiophiler". Read some reviews on them, they seem to be better quality than the Dayton caps... I will try both sets.

[​IMG]

16. jobrewer1983

May get to start the foam work on the 125A's today. Just checked the shipping and its showing its out for delivery for today!!!

Whooo whoo!!! :)

Cant wait to get the binding posts and the new caps in. Excited about the new binding posts, went with the Dayton Audio Binding posts in satin finish. Have used the gold ones on other builds, they are of great quality.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38sn-hd-binding-post-pair-satin-nickel--091-1247

Hope I get to start the foam work tonight! :)

17. jobrewer1983

I was able to get one of the 125A's knocked out last night.

I used the Simply Speakers foam kit. I have to say, the SS surrounds for JBL are always spot on. Same with their CV foam, its always an exact fit. I have used them for other brands, and its a poke and a pull. For the 125A's their kit is fantastic. The inner lip on the foam hugs the outer lip of the cone like a couple holding hands.

I was having trouble getting a good picture with my phone, the pix looks like the glue is messed up at the bottom of the cone.. its not, its just the picture and the lighting. They came out smooth and were an exact fit.

The gasket on the other hand... that was probably the worst gasket removal I've done. I always try to use the original JBL gaskets, in fact I have a box full of them from damaged drivers that were given to me. you never know when you need a JBL gasket and cant find one on eBay. The cork ones are the hardest to get ahold of.

Anyway, the basket lip on the 125A's have a groove for the foam to sit in, and the gasket to overlap.. I ran my blade to that inner edge who knows how many times thinking I was at the edge of the actual basket... nope only half way there. It took me a good hour to pull the gasket, and in the end it broke into 4 pieces. Used some white glue to put it back together as one ring, pressed it between some wood and a few clamps while I cleaned the basket.

Finished the basket prep work, than attached the foam to the cone using Aleene's tacky glue. I always use the white glue to attach the foam to cone. Dries slower, and holds great, yet if you mess up, you can remove it without damaging the cone. Once the cone is in place and has set for a few hours, I will attach the foam to the basket. The good thing about the 125's is the basket has a groove for the surround. Fit like a glove, and the centering of the coil was fantastic. they centered right up, I tried to get them to rub, flexed it inn/and out trying to get it to rub... Damn things are spot on.

As you can see in the pix, I still need to go back and clean off the excess adhesive off the gaskets (finger prints).

They sat all night and cured properly. I was not able to take a pix this morning in good lighting. I will be working on the 2nd driver today, I will get some good pictures of the set this evening.

Have to say thank you to Simply Speakers, JBL foam for the 125A's are a fantastic fit. Could have not asked for a better fit.

IMG_3501.JPG

It annoys me that the picture looks as if the glue is all over... Its not, its just a bad picture.

Kind Regards,
    John

18. bobins08

Nice work.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  19. jobrewer1983

Just checked out their site, a name worth knowing indeed! Thank you!

https://greatplainsaudio.com/

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  20. jobrewer1983

Finished the foam last night. Cabinet work will be this after noon... Some Pix:
    IMG_3513.JPG IMG_3517.JPG

galactus2, markshan, MCM_Fan and 2 others like this.