JBL L26 (LE25 Tweeter) question

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jobrewer1983, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice Joe. They are looking good.

Regret selling my pair a few years ago. These are starting to demand good coin on our local CL. Did you find them locally?

jobrewer1983 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey Fairlane,

Good to see another SJ member on the site! Yes, I did find them locally. They were posted to eBay and CL. Turned out I had bought other speakers from the gent in the past. I do see some for to much money, people can ask but doubt they will be bought.. the 26's usually don't go for big money. Few folks on eBay are asking quite a bit... hopefully they get what they are asking. :)

I was on a JBL kick a few years ago, had a few sets... ended up letting them go when we moved. I still have a few sets, but was rid of the 150's, 166, and some 110A's (traded the 110A's for an amp with another AK member).

I cant wait to leave in the next hour or so to go home and set them up.

Kind Regards,
    John

3. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

THe L-26s were part of the first very good sounding system I ever heard back in the early 80s. Since I’ve gotten back into audio, I’ve had the L16s, L26s, and L36s. I liked the L26s best. Sold them a couple of years ago for much less than I thought they were worth.

You’ve done some good work on them!

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  4. jobrewer1983

Thanks BilboBaggins,

I will be pulling the 110s out of the mix today, and putting the 26's in there place. Ill be leaving work in the next few min! cant wait to get home! :)

5. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. Fairlane

Joe,

There are a few of us here in the south bay. We should all try to hook up sometime or have a mini meet up or something.
    Sounds like a fun time getting to know your new JBL's especially with crappy weather potentially this weekend.

Look forward to your impressions.

jobrewer1983 likes this.

7. jobrewer1983

IMG_3533.JPG

Just finished soldering in the new binding posts :) Dayton builds some fantastic HD binding posts.

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

Have them playing now, I am quite impressed, I read a review saying the mids were "so-so" not sure how, this set is verry accurate. Mid/Lowe end is great, and the LE25 really is shocking, was not expecting what I'm hearing.

On par with the 110s, yet a 2 way... kinda throws me off! lol I really like them!

As yea we need to have a Bay Area get together, maybe we should all do an audioswap once a year. I'm sure I'd have gear to be rid of, and new stuff is always a blast!!

Kind Regards,
    John

galactus2, MCM_Fan and bobins08 like this.
  8. Fairlane

The woofer in that series is the star of the show isn't it. Punches way above its weight class.

Those new posts will help with the sound to.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  9. jobrewer1983

Quite happy with them. yes, the 10"s are quite on point! :)

10. jobrewer1983

Hi All,

I had the L-26's playing all weekend, and the more time I had them going the better they started to sound.

I had a lot of albums going all weekend, in many formats, CD, Spotify - BT, LP, iPod. All formats sounded good to me. The set is quite forgiving as I had them set up on the floor, roughly 4-5' apart. They sounded fantastic. They should sound better when they are set in proper placement.

Today I will be setting up a few album shelves that will double as stands. I'd rather have the set on some 18-24" stands, but the only other stands I have is a set of 30's.... So may as well use the shelves as stands for the 26's.
    upload_2018-3-12_12-59-57.png

Sound stage on the 26's are very accurate, Great low end, and the LE25's are a great match to the 125A's. They have the "classic JBL Sound". I like them so much, I will be running them solo for the next few weeks.

Still waiting for the new caps to arrive, and I have also ordered some Burnt Orange JBL grill cloth. I've never had a set of JBL in the Burnt Orange and I've always liked the looks of it. This is a good set to have orange cloth on.

Now I just need to get rid of a few sets of other speakers I have to justify keeping this set! :).

Kind Regards,
    John

bobins08 and MCM_Fan like this.
  11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Love those Dayton Audio heavy duty binding posts. When I see the quality, I'm amazed how little they cost. I've used them on several speakers I've restored. I used to use the gold finish, but tried the satin nickle on my 4301B Control Monitors. They are my favorite binding posts. I should just bulk buy a bunch for all future projects just in case Parts Express realizes what a great deal they are and decides to raise the price.

jobrewer1983 likes this.

12. jobrewer1983

I'm with ya there, they are my favorite posts as well. They just ooze quality. I have many of the gold plated sets, but this was my 1st set of the satin finish ones, I have to say they stand out and have a great finished look to them.

I may do the same, I have a few items PX is out of stock that I should have ordered sooner.. Their solder-on banana plugs are fantastic as well. Yet they are always out of stock.

Kind Regards,
    John

13. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Probably from an L-100 owner who is used to having mids that melt your face.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  14. jobrewer1983

Nice,

I've never been an L-100 fan. They seem to be slightly off to my ear. The review I read was actually an AK member, and the funny thing is that he is on a few L26's posts, one saying they are the nothing special, a few years later he was saying I wish id have never let them go... Ahhh the internet.

For me, I think they sound good. I feel the 26's are a great set, a bit large for bookshelves but that's the era. Sound stage is there, and it's nice, low end is not over done, and the top end is warm yet not to harsh. They blend well to make good to great mid-range. Over all for what they are (vintage 2 way speakers), I would give them a good 8.5 out of 10. They will hold up to more modern speakers. The upper end reminds me of my Axiom M22's Sharp, yet warm.

I really like the 26's, now I'm on the hunt for a good set of the Decade 16's. Would love to have a set of the 16's.

Kind Regards,
    John

galactus2 likes this.
  15. jobrewer1983

IMG_3557.JPG

got them off the floor yesterday... They may be a little to tall tho... we will see :)

16. Fairlane

Listen to the L-36's sometime Joe. They are a great speaker as well.

A little forward but in a good way; I thought they were smoother than L100's in the subjective world of speakers.

jobrewer1983 likes this.

17. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I suggest you also widen your search to include the L19/L19A and 4301B. Like the L16, these are vintage JBL 2-ways. The driver models changed slightly with the different models:

L16:
    Woofer = 116A
    Tweeter = LE25-2

L19:
    Woofer = 116A
    Tweeter = LE26

L19A:
    Woofer = 116H
    Tweeter = LE26

4301B:
    Woofer = 116H
    Tweeter = LE26

I have a pair each of L19As and 4301Bs. Fantastic sounding little 8" 2-ways. Really punch well above their weight.

Wally1955 and jobrewer1983 like this.
  18. jobrewer1983

I'd love to find some of the 4301B's, or a set of the L16's. I'm always on the look out for good JBL gear :)

19. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

The L19/L19As are kind of sleepers. They are the home version of the 4301Bs, but tend to sell for considerably less. The only functional difference between the 4301B and the L19A is the woofer shunt cap in the crossovers. The actual crossover point is the same, but the value is slightly different (18uF vs. 16.5uF) to account for tuning differences due to different cabinet dimensions. Also, the woofer shunt cap in the L19A is an NPE (the woofer shunt cap in the 4301B is a waxed encased mylar cap). I replaced my L19A woofer shunt caps with 18uF Axon True Cap film caps and they sound every bit as good as my 4301Bs.

The other differences are cosmetic: baffle color (blue on the 4301Bs, black on the L19A), grill cloth color and badges (blue grill cloth with wide black plastic banner with orange logo and white text on the 4301Bs, brown grill cloth with small traditional JBL badges on the L19As), cabinet dimensions (the 4301Bs are shorter, but deeper) and location of the tweeter L-pad knob (front on the 4301Bs, rear on the L19As).

Recap both and they will be indistinguishable in sound. It then just comes down to appearance, price and availability.

jobrewer1983 and Wally1955 like this.
  20. jobrewer1983

What on earth, I did not see this quote in my alerts!!

This is great info @MCM_Fan,

I got my new cloth in today, I have to say if you ever are looking for JBL quality cloth, Huntley Audio has some fantastic quality cloth. I got the burnt orange and it's 100% spot on. They provided a bag of samples as well, cat wait to knock out the grills.

IMG_3588.JPG

Im on the hunt for some 4301Bs, I hope to find a local collector who has a set in good cond. I've got a lot of gear, maybe someone will want to swap for the 110s or other gear I have.. :)

bobins08 likes this.