JBL L300 Summit Restoration.

I'd take a 4435 any day. ring radiators are not my best friends, though I admit Altec 950 UHF was the best super tweeter I heard in the 80's . No 10db peaks and valleys just a nice smooth curve out to 30 Khz. One thing a great about 4435 is there is only one crossover point and though the highs roll off starting around 16.5 k thats all I need. The double woofers really cut down on distortion and compression of JBL models with a single woofer.

Nice!.. Just one thing missing:

page3.jpg

That badge? Definitely.

And ... OK, that’s just weird: I was just ten minutes ago looking at those same catalogs on LH. Dang.

Zonker92 providing yet more motivation to the DIY/restoration guys to step up the quality of builds and rebuilds.

Sometimes the really good stuff looks like total junk until you throw some elbow grease and cash at it.

Thanks, you guys! damacman, the console is a Barzilay that a friend of mine gave me. The bottom was water-damaged so I cut it off and added a walnut base. Also, I upgraded the cabinet pulls.

Thanks! I just remodeled the room; it's my home office. I really want to expand the room into our back yard; then it would be a much better listening room.

The 2235s really make a difference. They blow the 136A right out of the water.
My L300s are essentially pristine, except the grilles are pretty beat. One of these days I'll rebuild them and put new felts/foam inside the compression drivers.

Is there someone out there repoping the hang tags?
Also, did you replace all of the diaphragms just preventatively, or were some/all damaged?

tarior, you may not be on Facebook, but if so, join the Vintage JBL Group and send a request to one Roberto Vannucci for the hang tags. Or check eBay, where I have seen them. Roberto gave me a good price.

The 077s had one damaged blue diaphragm and one OK silver one; I replaced both so they'd match.

The LE85 OEM AL diaphragms were/are pristine, but I installed the Radians on a whim; more or less flipped a coin on that decision. (I figured I'd just have all new moving parts that way, and not have to worry about them being aged.)

I’m sure you kept the original “high quality” speaker connectors!:thumbsdown: :D

Absolutely beautiful work!:thumbsup:

Thanks, Jenkster! (And yup, I did replace the binding posts (just added that to my list above).)

Back
Top Bottom