JBL L300

faber12

Addicted Member
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of JBL L300. The asking price is $180 usd or best offer. I do not think the woofers are original, although the owner thinks they are. Is this as good a deal as it appears? Ebay has much higher prices for the L300 pairs listed.

Are they as good sounding as everyone seems to think?

Incredible price; original woofers or not. For that price I can find original woofers easily! I sold my 4333a (studio version) and have regretted it ever since.

They are, for the most part, of interest to collectors or hackers who will part them out and sell them to collectors.

If you are buying them to listen to, you are more than likely going to have to put some time and money into them.

You better run like the wind, because they will be gone in a flash at that price. Hell the grills are probably worth that much, probably not but but you get the point. That is a give away price.

So you have seen what they go for on eBay, know of a pair for a fraction of that amount, and still feel the need to ask about the viability of the purchase here?

You better run like the wind, because they will be gone in a flash at that price. Hell the grills are probably worth that much, probably not but but you get the point. That is a give away price.

If the op doesn't know what they are, what interest are they to him?

@Jeffrey

Yeah I guess that is goofy... I go to see them in less than two hours... I am going to buy them. I will let you all know how they are.

The pictures from the listing

These are the photos from the listing. A local person started a facebook group for selling things locally, and these are listed there. The group has 20,000 members now.

Attachments

• L300 1.jpg
    L300 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 585
  • L300 2.jpg
    L300 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 569
  • L300 3.jpg
    L300 3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 417
  • L300 4.jpg
    L300 4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 382
My best pairs of speakers so far have been BIC and Realistic made... I am excited to have a pair of "Better" speakers to try out.

My best pairs of speakers so far have been BIC and Realistic made... I am excited to have a pair of "Better" speakers to try out.

Then I already answered your question in my first post...

"They are, for the most part, of interest to collectors or hackers who will part them out and sell them to collectors.
If you are buying them to listen to, you are more than likely going to have to put some time and money into them."

Seeing the condition of the speakers, you will have to put ALOT of money into them to get them up and running PROPERLY.

You were correct about the woofers, so those aren't L300s any more. Depending on how much other "modifications" have been made, you could be looking at several hundred dollars a piece to make them L300s again.

Shoot. That was what I was afraid of. I don't think I have the resources for this hobby... I am not an expert, I just like to listen to music and watch movies with good enough sound that it is enjoyable. Do you think they will be resellable for a decent amount of money?

Here's the deal. These are one of the holy grail speakers that people spend years looking for or pay an arm and a leg to get.

I would buy them as a long term project and slowly accumulate the proper replacement parts as you learn more about the hobby.

I don't think I have the resources for this hobby. I just love vintage audio equipment, and I like to listen to music on systems that make you sit up and take notice. Do you think they would be resellable for a profit? Or maybe worth holding on to long enough to fix properly?

Sorry, computer made me think my previous post was lost. I am going to buy them regardless, and I will probably rely heavily on the AK community for advice when I go about fixing them.

You may want to have this thread moved to 'dollars and sense". You'll get more appropriate responses.

Back
Top Bottom